Notices

Power loss and mad speedo

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2007, 06:11 AM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss and mad speedo

Going to work this morning, suddenly loss power intermittantly and the speedo started to rotate right around the dial - power loss seemed to correspond with the speedo either continuously rotating and then failing all together. Power came back, likewise the speedo, but in the car park, the car kept stalling badly.

Any ideas before I call the aa - 80 miles from home!
Old 20 December 2007, 06:59 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is the car ?
Old 20 December 2007, 01:49 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

sorry - yes some info would be useful!

1999 Scooby Type R - one diagnosis from an independant is the delimiter is failing?

Taken it out this lunchtime and its fine, so looks like one of these intermittant faults. But because it was obviousily linked to the speedo I am hoping its electronic and not too serious.
Old 20 December 2007, 01:51 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

An earthing problem ? i've seen various "crazy dash" problems before being down to bad earths.

Dave
Old 20 December 2007, 05:27 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pickup is the same as an uk99 on the box, it could require the plug/socket cleaning up, it's located on the left-hand side of the box when standing in front of the car. Unplug and spray the plug and socket with switch cleaner, then re-assemble.
Old 24 December 2007, 10:19 AM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

car seems to have died completely now - wife took it out day before last and only managed to bunny hop down the road. Stalling compleletly on idle but only when the speedo is malfunctioning. Sounds electical as she also reported dash board lights going out at the same time then back on when the power comes back.

not in her good books as you can imagine.

booked into local Subaru dealer day after boxing day but i can guess it will run properly then, so any further clues so i can avoid an expensive search and locate session would be appreciated.
Old 24 December 2007, 10:31 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Get it running check the battery / alternator, try different point on the chassis to check to bad earths.

Dave
Old 27 December 2007, 06:25 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

the sorry saga continues. new battery and alternator belt fitted today but 25 minutes into the return journey home, the same thing but this time the car is cutting out while moving - which is somewhat scary. The speedo is always first to go, either rotating fully round the dial or registering zero, then, power loss, then power back and then full cut out. Engine won't start straight away, but after a few minutes got it going, (speedo now working normally!) and onwards to home.

car has been in the dealers today - new battery and alternator belt. Apparantly the aircon belt has fractured and bits had spued across the engine bay causing the alternator belt to mis align and fray. Seems I was lucky as there are dents to the cambelt cover housing as well?? Full diagnostics, but nothing found after several test runs. Not sure if this makes sense but the alternator belt was very badly worn. However this clearly is not the cause of the problem, albeit £275 later it was an expensive visit. Also suggestion that the erratic speedo indications are causing fluctuations to the ecu hence the stalling ?? - sorry its all a foreign language to me.

It does seem to happen once the car has warmed up - 20/25 minutes into a run??

So I am now going back to my usual independant - but has anyone any clues so I can avoid another trial/error cost. Suggestions range from above, to the speedo delimiter? or to something speedo reated by the gearbox??