Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2007, 07:37 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default modified new age wrx-real world advice please

Hi.
Have an 02 wagon with the following engine mods:
Full prodrive exhaust with h/f cat,hybrid TD04,hard pipe front mount i/c,pinks,walpro,cold air induction kit,bailey d/v.Basic brake mods-uprated discs,pads and lines.NO suspension mods and on 18s. All remapped,giving just under 300 bhp...
Have not fitted it yet,but have now got a VF34.This,i know will take the car well into the 300 brake territory.What i want to know is:how will this affect the reliability of the car,which is a daily runner.What problems have other WRX owners encountered running this amount of power on a stock car ie internals/gearbox/clutch issues.Ive done as much research as possible on s/n,but i'd also be interested in tuner advice too.Thanks for your time
Old 20 December 2007, 12:15 AM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

should be fine as long as remapped with new turbo.
Old 20 December 2007, 07:48 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have ran these at levels of 300bhp up to 350bhp on stock internals and provided it is mapped well and your engine is any good to start with you shouldn't have any problems with the engine...
One with 350bhp needed a clutch and a repair to second gear after the owner took it drag racing a couple of times but no ill effects through road use..
Old 20 December 2007, 08:06 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.The motor has been well looked,remapped straight after work and not abused,so thats good news.Its probably the furthest i can take it without major spends/without compromising reliability.Cheers
Old 21 December 2007, 10:40 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO stick with the hybrid TD04 as no matter what you go for you will lose bottom end response. This will in turn effect the real world performance, more so than an extra 20-30hp top end will increase performance IYSWIM..?

If you want the car to be quicker road car here's my 3 peneth (sp?):

1. Fit a rear 22mm adj anti roll bar and solid drop links.
2. get a proper geometry setup
3. fit a big brake kit (AP's* or Stoptech) 4pot/330mm will be more than enough and weigh less than 20pots etc..!
4. ditch the DV for gods sake
5. contentious this one, ditch the FMIC and fit an 03> STI TMIC/scoop/tray. Then you can replace the CAIK and refit std airbox with a decent panel filter..!

*AP's are the single most expensive mod I've done, but they were the best money I've spent on my WRX (note mods: AST/T25 suspension, usual engine bolt-on's-VF35, Ecutek and knocking on 350). Car felt like it had another 50bhp after fitting these brakes, even after I had been running uprated pads/hoses and fluid in original setup..!

If you get all your mods matched you should end up with a seriously quick real world road car that will out perform cars (inc scoobs) with a lot more HP/big turbo but very little else..

Eliminate the bottlenecks by working on the weakest areas.. As Yoda would say..
Old 22 December 2007, 08:35 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above, and thats from experience. By that i mean, i now have a VF34 on my 03 WRX, and a lot of other very expensive bits i bought then, and some i have had to buy now to try and get out of my car what i should have had with this lot to start with! I am hoping Bob Rawle can work a little miracle for me and get me up into the 300's somewhat.
The only turbo i would even bother looking at for you would be the TD04 hybrid, and then you still need a remap. I will, if i am lucky, only end up with say 330 or 340 bhp if i am bloody lucky from the VF34, and trust me, you do lose bottom end response. Although i have diffrerent headers as well which may be the real reason i have lost the low end response. Anyway, i shall report back after the 19th Jan when Bob has waved his magic EcuTek wand over my car.
Old 22 December 2007, 08:36 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Oh and dont bother with the StopTechs, get in the group buy for the K-Sports on sale now! Half the price and easily as good or better.