Notices

Which ECU / map for a MY00.....?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2007, 10:52 PM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ECU / map for a MY00.....?

Right..... I really dont know what to do, Fairly standard uk turbo (except walbro pump, green panel filter, P1 intercooler and s/s egual length headers) I want to remap the car but dont know which route to take...... Been thinking about Apexi, Ecutec or simtek can anyone give me the pro's and cons for all routes.
I also have a Secs psi3 fitted that i think is a great piece of kit, but is it compatible with above mentioned ecu's.
Looking for about 280bhp if that makes a difference...?

Thanks in advance
Old 10 November 2007, 11:59 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PSI 3 is only compatible with Ecutek remapped ecus....SimTek would be my choice of ecu as it allows the MAF to be removed...The MAF on the 99-00 cars is a well known weak link and removing it should be an atractive option..
Closed loop in gear boost control is excellent as is the MAP switch on the fly option , this allows you to have 2 power options at the flick of a switch...
Antilag and launch control are available as optional extras and more features are being added all the time....
Old 11 November 2007, 09:31 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

280 will be about the limit of your standard turbo and might be wiser to run a little less than that or change it...... Apexi pfc works well for me
Old 12 November 2007, 02:19 PM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise guys.

Anyone else...
Old 12 November 2007, 08:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All three are good options, hence why I offer all three..

it all depends on you future intensions and personal preference

very briefly with 99 on a td04 in mind:

ecutek you keep original ecu functions etc
apexi you can sell separately when selling car, and commander is an excellent monitoring tool
simtek you lose the maf sensor and can sell on etc

Simon
Old 13 November 2007, 07:15 PM
s5ooob
Scooby Regular

How about a GEMS ecu...Offers similar attributes to the Simtek, switchable anti-lag, switchable duel ignition maps, eccellent boost control and deletes the MAF. The ecu is a straight plug and play fit for your MY.

I have one for sale, 12mths. old, at a fraction of the new cost, and cheaper than it would be for the alternatives mentioned.

PM me for a price if interested.

Paul.
Old 13 November 2007, 07:22 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

just took in a 2000 uk turbo from a friend as a part ex ! it has full decat ,filter and was mapped by bob rawle ! now ive had a few std uk turbo's and this thing is great ! power to the red line almost which is rare on the td04. really smooth and usable power. i actually like it better than std jap sti td05 cars (which ive had loads of) more progressive and smooth tall power curve ! i'd go for the ecutek option for cost as its not too dear and this one was mapped at 266 and is great ! good usable power !

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2007, 10:15 AM
burns
Scooby Regular

Having gone down this route already Autronic,Apexi and now Simtek.I wanted to get rid of my MAF which kept blowing up so I opted for the Simtek which has given me the best of both worlds excellent cold start and idling plus total mappability for any future mods I want to do.
My Apexi was a brilliant piece of kit but relied on the Maf which meant perfect starting and idling, but with my FMIC and large turbo kept surging and stalling(a total pain leading to blown MAF's)so out it came.
Before that My car had the Autronic which when warmed up and running was excellent, but what a ba****d to start.
As it stands now, my choice of Simtek has worked out very well.If you want anymore info give David at Api a shout as he's done a number of cars for us Shropshire boys
Welcome to the API website
Old 26 November 2007, 10:29 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I Ecutek'd mine and have been very happy with it.

I do 90% town driving, so keeping the TD04 for its fast spool suits me.

273bhp/273lbft.

Cost £500+VAT @ Powerstation.

I noticed that you haven't changed the full exhaust though? Would need to do that to get the power you are after?
Old 26 November 2007, 11:01 AM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the replys guys.

stiX, whoops forgot to mention... Full decat with magnex 3" downpipe, 2.5" center section and scorpion back box.
Old 26 November 2007, 11:38 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simtek every time on that year of car these days. It is entry level for price and has many of the features of the more expensive systems.

Of course it cannot compete with secondhand offers like the guy above. And a Gems is a sophisticated set up. Probably too good in my opinion.

The Simtek loses the MAF, which as Mr Burns says can be a real pain when they play up. If you have to replace a MAF once or twice a year, which is not usual on that age of car the Simtek will pay for itself in a very short space of time.

David APi
Old 26 November 2007, 12:15 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Zola-the-master
Thanks again for the replys guys.

stiX, whoops forgot to mention... Full decat with magnex 3" downpipe, 2.5" center section and scorpion back box.
Ah, that'll do

The MAF issue, well when I bought my car nearly 2 years ago I changed the MAF which cost £83 for the part from a main dealer.

Shortly after that I replaced exhaust/clutch/serviced it and remapped.

Since then I have had no MAF issues at all, its run sweet as a nut.

Perhaps its due to my relatively low state of tune, or have I just been lucky? I do very low mileage though - that's obviously go a lot to do with it.
Old 26 November 2007, 12:58 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
Ah, that'll do

The MAF issue, well when I bought my car nearly 2 years ago I changed the MAF which cost £83 for the part from a main dealer.

Shortly after that I replaced exhaust/clutch/serviced it and remapped.

Since then I have had no MAF issues at all, its run sweet as a nut.

Perhaps its due to my relatively low state of tune, or have I just been lucky? I do very low mileage though - that's obviously go a lot to do with it.
You are a lucky man when I had my old my99 uk turbo Ecuteked I had 3 MAF failures over the next 18 months,which as you say cost £83 a pop a bit of a pain.Having said that the chap who has it now, hasn't had any problems(touch wood).I think the ECU you get, should be suitable for any furure mods you want to make which saves the cost of replacing in the future.
Old 26 November 2007, 10:45 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

No maf problems here either in 3 years ownership,though do keep an eye on the commander read out to see all is as it should be..... still have the standard airbox that helps a lot.
Old 26 November 2007, 10:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vibration kills them.. the standard box works well.. although you do find the odd car that does them for no apparent reason..

Simon