VF35 onto a MY99 TURBO 2000

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2007, 12:08 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF35 onto a MY99 TURBO 2000

hello mates

im about to buy a VF35 turbo as im gathering all the parts for the conversion.
so far i have the walbro fuel pump and the Haltech ECU will follow on over the next few months when i get the funds.

Currently the car has a full decat magnex with H&S downpipe,green panel filter and a greddy boost controller all fitted(i believe this will go if i run a full aftermarket ecu?)

Can anyone thats done this upgrade tell me what else i will need, is it right that the 440 yellows that are standard should be ok and the TMIC should aswell as im aiming for around 320bhp as i want to keep it safe or do i need to upgrade to 550's and a STI8 top mount?.

Are there any other bits(pipes/fittings etc) i should get along with the turbo or is it just the unit alone i need at this stage, sorry for all the q's

many thanks for any replys

Barry
Old 27 October 2007, 06:35 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

injectors, etc. will cope with that turbo, although the STi8 intercooler will run a better safety margin dependant on use.........

alyn
Old 27 October 2007, 06:36 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

injectors, etc. will cope with that turbo, although the STi8 intercooler will run a better safety margin dependant on use.........

alyn
Old 27 October 2007, 07:53 PM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

similar spec to me

fit an aexi avc-r ?
Old 27 October 2007, 07:56 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

how do you find the extra power Nich B, is it defimitely noticable, at a guess id say my cars around 260 at the min when on high boost(15 psi)...do u think the apexi would be better than the greddy boost controller?
Old 28 October 2007, 03:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Here you go

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html
Old 02 November 2007, 02:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

that'll will be fine as is, your gonna be up around the limit of the pistons and rods with that turbo, i went for the roller bearing version vf34 and ran 341bhp with that standard 440 injectors, wouldn't want to go higher than that due to reasons above.

thats a interesting comparison NS04, adding a full decat instead of a sports cat, front mount and autronics i got an extra 30bhp compared to yours. (i might add i've gone down that route to prep for the 2.5 i want to fit in it)
Old 02 November 2007, 03:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tidgy
that'll will be fine as is, your gonna be up around the limit of the pistons and rods with that turbo, i went for the roller bearing version vf34 and ran 341bhp with that standard 440 injectors, wouldn't want to go higher than that due to reasons above.

thats a interesting comparison NS04, adding a full decat instead of a sports cat, front mount and autronics i got an extra 30bhp compared to yours. (i might add i've gone down that route to prep for the 2.5 i want to fit in it)
Hey Tidgy,

I think the main limiting factor with mine is the std intercooler at the mo. I did have a word with Bob about getting a FMIC fitted and mapped and he indicating that another MY99 with similar mods to mine he'd mapped recently had got to the mid 330s. Not sure if I'll get as high as yours with the sports cat in place, but whats a few bhp between friends!
Old 05 November 2007, 01:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

have to say fitting a front mount does sound like a rather expensive way to get extra 5-10bhp, unless your going down the rebuild with bigger engine route?

as far as 10bhp difference, its aint gonna make any difference lol, only thing maybe heat issues on warm day which wont be as significant on mine, but hey would be an interesting comparison.
Old 05 November 2007, 01:43 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

ive decided that im gonna go for an ecutek remap instaed of a full ecu, as its around 1300 quid fitted and mapped, and i think for what i want the ecu may be overkill and a remap will do fine.

tidgy i posted on another thread were you had shown your power graph, what gearbox and clutch are you running, also are internals ok at that power? i might go for 320bhp or and a bit less torque to prolong the life of those parts. im going for a FMIC also as i think its better all round and will keep my charge temps down
Old 05 November 2007, 06:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

you may have problems not switching the ecu, or you may get away with it, when they tried to map mine on the existing one it threw a fit and wouldn't have it, also heard about rumours of higher flow rates can cause the maf sensors to bbow every two weeks, not saying it will but its something to bear in mind.

If your going witha front mount and larger turbo theres also a few issues with compatability, can cause slight delay/hesitation that gets labbeled as lag but is in fact the ecu no knowing what to do then deciding and going lol.

i ended up going for a straight cut pgg 1-4 and a normal uk 5th for nice quiet crusing. i also had a uprated excede clutch, not sure exactly what clutch it is cos i got it cheap from here, but it is uprated on the standard on.

when the time comes to go 450 i will be changing the clutch again though.

at the power your talking about the internals will be fine, wouldn't push more than i have gone but 320 shouldn't be a problem
Old 05 November 2007, 06:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

o here's what the gearbox sounds like

Video of Scooby crescent - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 05 November 2007, 11:47 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

lol what a convoy, that box sounds cool as....i was talking to atunign company earlier and they reckoned i could get 310 or so prob without having to remap or go after market management, that would be with what the car has fitted now, an uprated TMIC, VF35, walbro and rising rate FPR
Old 06 November 2007, 01:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

is it mapped for the new turbo? if not you need to get it done ASAP and i wouldn't drive the car or go over 3k rpm when you absolutly do have to drive it untill it is mapped
Old 06 November 2007, 03:50 PM
New_scooby_04

have to say fitting a front mount does sound like a rather expensive way to get extra 5-10bhp, unless your going down the rebuild with bigger engine route?

as far as 10bhp difference, its aint gonna make any difference lol, only thing maybe heat issues on warm day which wont be as significant on mine, but hey would be an interesting comparison.

Hey Tidgy,

Not interested in doing it for extra power mate; more to do with safety and longevity. The MY99 TMIC is at its limit at my power levels and an FMIC would negate runnig concerns under extended periods of hard/sustained acceleration, on hot days, in sustained high speed etc..

Ns04
Old 06 November 2007, 03:57 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

i havent fitted the turbo yet, at the min it has a full decatted exhaust and downpipe, panel filter and boost controller, they reckoned that with a walbro and FPR the fueling can be raised to cop with the bigger turbo, it would all be set up and checked on the rolling road with det cans on also.
Old 06 November 2007, 04:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they would only be able to increase the fuelling everywhere.. therefore it would bo rich on idle, on cruise etc.. get it done properly..
Old 06 November 2007, 04:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by burt2000
i havent fitted the turbo yet, at the min it has a full decatted exhaust and downpipe, panel filter and boost controller, they reckoned that with a walbro and FPR the fueling can be raised to cop with the bigger turbo, it would all be set up and checked on the rolling road with det cans on also.
It's not just the fueling that is altered during mapping mate. You may well be able to set the fueling up so it'll run without det prior to remap, but it won't run anywhere near as well as when it's set up properly. On the journey to get mine mapped with the VF35, it was as flat as a pancake- with just that done, I would have said that fitting the bigger blower was a big mistake!

Once mapped. Er, Wow!!
Old 06 November 2007, 04:46 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

id nearly be cheaper getting a boat over to england getting a remap and back again i was quoted 650+vat for an ecutek remap over here in N.Ireland! i wouldnt personally want to add the mods without haveing the car mapped to take it.

Last edited by burt2000; 06 November 2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:01 PM
WallyBazoom
Scooby Regular

Very similar spec to my RB5 (MY99) 320-330bhp

- Full decat
- Walbro Fuel Pump.
- K&N Panel.
- VF35 (ported waste gate)
- Harvey's ported/wrapped headers and custom up-pipe.
- STi 8 Top Mount.
- 3 Port boost solenoid.
- BRD Ecutek remap.

Standard Injectors and FPR.

You'd defo need a remap though.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:04 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

i wonder who would be closest to me if i got the ferry to stanraer from Belfast, any mappers near that sort of area??
Old 06 November 2007, 05:27 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

There's the world famous - Andy Forrest; but I think he's somewhere over towards Edinborough way. Worth it i'd imagine though!

Tbh; £650 plus VAT is not THAT bad. Im not sure; but I dont think you'd have that much change from that for a full remap from the big man himself (Andy F)!!
Old 06 November 2007, 05:28 PM
Dave Dixon
Scooby Regular

Andy Forrest is in Scotland.
I hear very good reports about his mapping.
Old 06 November 2007, 08:56 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a VF35 on my MY98. Response was very good with a top mount, but mapping couldn't be pushed very far because basically the v4 STi TMIC couldn't control charge temps over a sustained run. Was definitely quicker than a TD04 was but as I say, the top mount restricted the results you could get with it. Tried a front mount and got hideous compressor surge with the VF35 although there was noticeably more power and charge temps were totally under control, allowing IIRC another 4 degrees of ignition advance under boost. Switched to a TD05-16G and compressor surge is almost gone, although still there to a certain extent. The VF35 was IMHO too small to handle a FMIC. 440's will be fine - just - for a VF35.
Old 06 November 2007, 08:57 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WallyBazoom
Very similar spec to my RB5 (MY99) 320-330bhp

- Full decat
- Walbro Fuel Pump.
- K&N Panel.
- VF35 (ported waste gate)
- Harvey's ported/wrapped headers and custom up-pipe.
- STi 8 Top Mount.
- 3 Port boost solenoid.
- BRD Ecutek remap.

Standard Injectors and FPR.

You'd defo need a remap though.
how does the 320-330 go on the road matey, is it sharp!? bound to be at over 100bhp more than standard
Old 07 November 2007, 09:02 AM
WallyBazoom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burt2000
how does the 320-330 go on the road matey, is it sharp!? bound to be at over 100bhp more than standard
More than enough power for the road, also a bit more peace of mind when overtaking.

The VF35 keeps pushing at high rev ranges, like the Energizer bunny the power goes on and on.

Porting the headers and the new up-pipe reduced the VF35 lag, it's only slightly more laggy than the TD04.

So in a nutshell, it's great for every day driving, every bit as goods as a TD04 setup, but with more power/torque at my disposal.
Old 07 November 2007, 02:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hey Tidgy,

Not interested in doing it for extra power mate; more to do with safety and longevity. The MY99 TMIC is at its limit at my power levels and an FMIC would negate runnig concerns under extended periods of hard/sustained acceleration, on hot days, in sustained high speed etc..

Ns04

ahh right, tbh if i were you (you may have already done this) is see about having an uprated oil cooler fitted. def sort temps out.
Old 07 November 2007, 03:28 PM
New_scooby_04

ahh right, tbh if i were you (you may have already done this) is see about having an uprated oil cooler fitted. def sort temps out.
Must admit, had not looked into this (was under the impression that I was ok at my level of tune in this respect): ta for the suggestion!

Ns04
Old 08 November 2007, 12:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

mm, run your car on a hot day at that power with an oil temp gauge and see what happens lol, shortversion at 260bhp mine hit 105 degree C in about 45 seconds if pushed hard
Old 08 November 2007, 09:09 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Surely NS04 is concerned about keeping charge temps under control and not oil temps..?

IMHO unless you're seeing sustained oil temps of 110c an oil cooler is not necessary. Then there's the detrimental effects of the old oil they hold when changing, let alone the ones fitted without thermostatic control..!

NS04, have you considered fitting an STI8 TM..? If that's a bit to daunting a fit I have an as new 05 WRX TMIC that's considerably more effective than your standard one and relatively easy to fit iirc. If your at all interested let me know, I'm sure we can sort something out..

Quick Reply: VF35 onto a MY99 TURBO 2000