Notices

More power needed (classic)

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 09:51 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power needed (classic)

I have a 98 uk classic which is standard apart from a back box and would like a little more power. Dont want to go mad as the car is my daily driver so needs to be reliable was thinking maybe get the rest of the exhaust replaced panel filter and then maybe a remap but thats where i am a bit stuck. I have been told that the ecu has to be replaced on this model but dont know why. Could i not just have my original ecu chipped? Also what kind of power would this give me? Been told that i could get an extra 70bhp but find this hard to believe What do you think??????????
Old 22 October 2007, 10:40 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

about £500 should get you a new exhaust system with sports cat (ebay will help with the price) and a panel filter from what is said should get 25-50bhp! its what i plan to do!

P.S. got the panel filter
Old 22 October 2007, 11:08 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

98 Car will need a remapable ecu Apexi etc. This will only be justified if you have sufficient supporting mods. The best place to start would be with a decent exhaust system decat sports cat etc.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:15 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Full decat would be (and was) my first move on a MY98....made a hell of a difference.
As you say, remap isn't an option on the 1998 cars, so you'd need to go for a Power FC ECU and remap, etc.
I didn't want to spend that sort of money when I had mine, so went down the "Ghetto Tuning" route.....did it all myself with a bit of trial and fortunately, no error.

What I did:

HKS Fuel Cut Defender - to allow more boost to be used before hitting fuel cut.......word of warning, don't go too far with it...this is your protection against blowing your engine up with boost!!

Blits Spec S boost controller - you can usually find these on eBay and although pretty simple, they do the job just fine and they fit nicely into the bit under the air vents where your cup holder is/would be. You can set 4 levels of boost and it has stuff like overboost protection (you set the limit) and warnings, etc. The only problem I found was that on cold mornings, the boost tended spike pretty high if you accelerated hard from low revs....I got round this by running on a lower boost setting most of the time and only upping to Warp Factor 4 when I'd shoved some octane booster in the tank and was out for a good blast.

STI V4 Intercooler (mine was actually a Pace unit, but very similar) - questionable if it was needed, but I fitted it anyway.

Green panel filter.

All the work is pretty easy to do yourself if you have a bit of mechanical/electrical aptitude and the results are pretty good.

I was running at about 1.35 to 1.37bar (1.4to 1.44 bar or so when I was feeling naughty) and although I never put it on the dyno after I'd done all the mods, I know if was pretty feckin rapid. It did the 1/4 at Scooby Shootout in 13.56 which isn't too bad. I was guestimating about 260bhp, but a few people said it was probably more.

You could always go for a simple Dawes device to up your boost, but I did this and the control was a bit eratic.

Don't be too scared about upping the boost, but do be careful and do it a little bit at a time. You don't really know what you've set the fuel cut defender to, so it would be pretty easy to overdo it. I ran my car for about two and a half years and about 40K miles with these mods, and I don't drive Miss Daisy......I had no problems whatsoever with the car, except for it needing a new clutch at about 70K miles.

Do a bit of reading up on all of the mods before you do them and I'm sure you will manage to create a reasonably quick car for not a lot of wonga.

Oh yeah.....your car is probably still on 2 pot brakes....ditch them and get a set of 4 pots off a post 1999 model classic. again...eBay and or Scoobynet usually comes up trumps and they can be had for not too much money.

Have fun eh??? I did!!!

Last edited by martyrobertsdj; 22 October 2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 22 October 2007, 11:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martyrobertsdj
I was running at about 1.35 to 1.37bar (1.4to 1.44 bar or so when I was feeling naughty)
no point running that much boost on a TD04 (standard turbo).. around 1.3bar peak and tailing / holding 1.2bar is perfect.. more than that and you are way into the creating too much heat into the charge area..
Old 23 October 2007, 11:02 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Ah well........it worked!!

It could have been hysterisis in the sensor, etc, so maybe I wasn't actually getting what the readout on the Blitz said.

I forgot to add the one very important bit of kit if you are upping boost....KNOCKLINK. Handy to have anyway as it is not unknown for people to have "bad batches" of fuel.

I think we all know what detonation can do.
Old 23 October 2007, 01:57 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

ive a my99 and it had a magnex with centre decat and crap foam induction kit when i bought it...

since then i ditched the ind kit as soon as i bought itn replcaed the MAF for safety, fitted a green panel filter, H and S decat downpipe and a greddy profec B boost contoller with high and low boost setting, 10-11psi bar for normal driving and 15psi for a bit of fun.

The car goes alot better now 2 mates have 200sx s14's running stage 2 tune approx 270bhp at 16psi and the scoob is exactly the same performance and obviously quicker from a standing start. Its a healthy increase for not too much money.....next step is a VF35 turbo, walbro, and management :-)
Old 23 October 2007, 02:19 PM
New_scooby_04

I would suggest you go with a sports cat Down pipe (avoids MOT hassle) decat centre, decent backbox, walbro fuel pump, uprated turbo pipe kit e.g. Samco and an Apexi ECU. Also worth considering porting and wrapping your headers. This will see a comfortable and very reliable 270ish bhp and similar torque and be a quick and very responsive daily driver!!

Any more than that and you're looking at a bigger turbo!

Ns04

BTW I run a 320bhp classic MY99
Old 23 October 2007, 06:03 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

i have a uk 98,full decat,panel filter,apexi powerfc fitted & set up by jolly green monster what a transformation & still very reliable.