Notices

FMIC without an induction kit??

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 09:31 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC without an induction kit??

Is it possible to fit a FMIC but not go down the route of an induction kit?

I think just about every FMIC uses the same pipe route.....right where the original air box would be, but I wondered if there were any that used an alternative route?
Just looking at future mods.....keeping charge temps (from a bigger turbo/higher boost) down will require (probably) a FMIC, but I've had an induction kit fitted already and took it back off coz I hated the hissing sound.

Maybe something like the K&N Apollo kit with the shrouded cone filter would be quieter? I'm currently running with the standard airbox, but with a GP Moto elbow and a Green panel filter....it sounds much more grown up!!

Many of you are far wiser than me when it comes to Subaru Imprezas, so I look forward to your words of wisdom.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:38 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hybrid kit for the New Age cars comes with a cold air induction kit. As the filter is located in the inner wing, induction noise is far less than a straight cone in the engine bay.
Old 22 October 2007, 09:10 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

With a lateral kit you have to fabricate your own pipework, I'm sure it could be done..
Old 22 October 2007, 09:44 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

The induction kit I had on was actually a CAIK with the filter in the wing, but it still sounded feckin horrible!!

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That's all it bloody did.

It was ok when booting the car, but was embarassing when just accelerating lightly through town and stuff.

I think the standard airbox (with Green filter and cold air feed from fog light duct) and TMIC might be ok for the power I'm aiming for anyway. 380 to 400bhp.

Harvey, I know you have done quite a few back-to back tests with induction kits/filters, so you know your stuff....your advice and information is much appreciated.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a New Age I would be happy running with apannel filter in the O/E air box at 400 bhp but I don't think it will be possible to retain the air box AND fit an FMIC, not without a lot of bugg**ation anyway.
One answer might be to retain the CAK and try a different filter or seal the holes in the inner wing and line the inner wing on the engine bay side (and possibly the feed pipe through the inner wing towards the manifold) with sound deadening rubber noise mat.
Old 28 October 2007, 01:28 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I suspect that a K&N Apollo kit with a fog light duct and cold air tube to the filter may be somewhat quieter than the open K&N CAIK that I had in the inner wing.

Maybe that's the route I'll take if the standard airbox won't deliver the goods.

I think the Type 25's, etc use the standard airbox, and they run over 400bhp.