Notices

PROBLEM with Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 09:27 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help...

I have had the Prodrive Upgrade firstly.

Just over the last week I have been having a problem, when I press the brake pedal it has been indifferent. Sometimes I have to push all the way to floor to get any-kind of braking but then the next time I press it, it's fine.
Now I know Brake assist kicks in, so that would explain the first press being lower down than the second press. But this is even worse than that? At the moment I have 3 different results I can get from my pedal.

Can anyone help?
Old 10 January 2002, 10:01 AM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

You need to bleed your brakes
Old 10 January 2002, 10:13 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

When I had the brakes fitted not so long ago they bleed them... then I went back a week later and had them blead again.

Will it need doing again??
Old 10 January 2002, 10:26 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=63411
Have a look there firstly..
Secondly, if all you really need is a bleed this can be caused thru heavy use pretty quickly. I get mine bled after every trackday just to be safe...especially if you are just using standard subaru fluid.
Chuck (Alcons too, but not had a prob)
Old 10 January 2002, 10:43 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chuck!

That doesn't look good, but similiar. Not sure what I'm going to do bar a dealer visit and a clean.
Old 10 January 2002, 11:42 AM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

I fitted new brakes/ discs/ calipers a few months back, bled them, did about 50 miles, had to bleed them again, in the end, bled through about 1/2 a litre to get them right.
Old 10 January 2002, 01:05 PM
JohnS

Could also possibly be a wheel bearing that has gone, which will give a bit of play at the front wheels. This movement can move the pads away from the disc back into the pistons, meaning that the first press of the pedal simply moves them back onto the disc, and the 2nd press gives good results.

Try braking so that you get good brakes (2 or more presses), and then do a bit of weaving/hard cornering (on a quiet section of road obviously), and then try the brakes again. If they first press is soft, then it indicates that the pads could be getting pushed back into the calipers.

This is the same as pad knock-off, experienced by some on track days when the hubs get very hot and the grease melts, but obviously you'll get it on normal roads at all temperatures.
Old 17 January 2002, 05:48 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

John S....

You were absoloutley right... wheel bearing had gone and it had got bad so the hub flange needs replacing too...

Took it to Lancaster and they blead the brakes... took it back to them and they said the discs and pads needed cleaning... (not impressed)

So took it to Mill lane.... they put it on a ramp straight away and said front off-side wheel bearing gone. Where I had driven it because Lancaster missed the fault it f**ked the Hub Flange.

Cheers Mill Lane! Cheers John!