Notices

Oil pump question on STi Type R.

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2007, 05:38 PM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump question on STi Type R.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the Scooby world and have just been converted from being a hardcore Honda enthusiast. (well, still am but fancied a change and a new challenge so to speak!)

I'm sure this question has come up countless times before but after spending near on an hour with the search function my question wasn't really answered.....

I've just put a deposit down on a fresh import V4 STi Type R its currently on 70 odd thousand kilometers (48k miles it works out to) and its mint.

The question I want to know is- Is it advisible to change the oil pump to an 'uprated' pump? I have a friend who owned a JDM WRX and the pump failed on his car causing a LOT of damage as it was at high speed, and he's not to only one I know who has experienced the same, so this slightly worries me obviously. My friend ended up getting the engine re-built and fitted a new Graham Goode oil pump, should I do the same? or is the STi engine equipt with a better pump than the WRX?

I'm sorry if this is a regular question, but like I say, I couldn't find anything which answered my questions.

Many thanks,

Az.
Old 12 October 2007, 07:17 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the pumps are all baiscially the same.............as for an 'uprated' pump then technically no they aren't - they are modified though to alleviate a potential stiction issue with the pressure relief plunger

personally for a std'ish car then either will suffice, new std or modified

alyn
Old 13 October 2007, 06:59 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah thats exactly as I thought with the term 'uprated' being more of a modified standard item.

So basically, it is recommended to change the pump then to be on the safe side?
Old 13 October 2007, 07:24 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I had the pump mod done to my oe pump. They said the pump was fine even at 68k and the main issue is the piston sticking. They are easy to fit once you have the cambelt covers off. HDC Subaru did mine at the same time as the belt. You could always buy one off them and fit it yourself or get it fitted local.
Old 13 October 2007, 07:46 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

O.k, so do HDC Subaru mod the OE pump then? as in on a part exchange basis for your old pump? How much do they charge for the pump? I've been told that Graham Goode sell modded pumps for £199, is there anywhere else that anyone can recommend getting one rather than Graham Goode?

I'm not too sure if I want to tackle changing the pump myself as a first job on the car as I haven't really got a clue around a scooby engine, give me a Honda and I know it inside out and would quite confidently change the pump myself on one, but I think I'll get it fitted with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 13 October 2007, 08:26 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

To be honest you should not need to change the pump @ 48k, it's normally the sticking piston that does the damage to an engine not a failed pump. Just buy the modified piston and get it fitted - do the cambelt and crankshaft oil seal at the same time.

If you really want to then buy a new standard oe pump and fit the modified piston to it.
Old 13 October 2007, 09:10 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Yeah I see what your saying mate, next question would be..... where could I get a modified piston from and I'm taking anyone with good mechanical knowledge would be capable of swapping the piston then? AFAIK the cambelt hasn't been replaced on the car yet, and I've been told that Subaru recommend a cambelt change @ 50k miles? so it would be beneficial to get it all replaced at the same time.

I'll look into prices on a standard oe pump as well then.

Thanks for the advice on this, much appreciated.
Old 13 October 2007, 09:29 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

When you remove the cambelt covers you can see the pump. There is a nut you undo and then just pull out the piston. When putting it back you will need to compress the spring under the piston take care not to cross thread the nut when putting it back together. I would do the belt and front crankshaft oil seal anyway - for the sake of £180-ish. Cheaper than 16 new valves.

Give Howard a call at HDC, he has his own pistons made. Top bloke as well - give him a call after 5pm as he tends to answer the phone himself at this time of day. Tell him you spoke with Andrew from Settle with the red RA

HDC SUBARU - parts .. breaking .. salvage .. consumables.. mail order
Old 13 October 2007, 09:45 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Thats brilliant! Thanks a lot for the help mate, much appreciated! and by the looks of it HDC isn't far from where I'm actually buying the car so may be able to pop over and see him.

Thanks again!