Notices

I Thought Tesco 99 was good enough RON !

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2007, 10:35 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Thought Tesco 99 was good enough RON !

Well,my knoclink says no it aint !!

and,i think i put £20 of fuel vapour in the car as its gone down alot in 1 day compared to v power !!!

shant use it again,last used it 1 yr ago,thought the same then,should of listened to myself !

my knocklink lit all the way to both ambers on full throttle to red line in 2nd,all i get is 2 green on v power !!!

amazin how fuel makes a difference really !!!!!
Old 08 October 2007, 10:39 PM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont race the **** of ya motor for a few tanks and let ya ecu re train itself to the new fuel and try again ..

either that or reset ya ecu and try again with both fuels and see what happens

just adding one tank of fuel and saying its **** is silly .

but your thoughts bud not mine :-)
Old 08 October 2007, 10:41 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works fine in my 93wrx but i do agree that the economy seems possibly worse then V power.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:49 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

as above

ECU can often take more than tanks worth of driving before it adapts to the new fuel properly. especially Tesco 99 as its part bio ethanol. its not high octane petrol. its slightly higher than normal octane petrol with a bit of rapeseed oil in it. The rapeseed oil helps it burn better though, thus upping the RON count

but its completely different to V power.
Old 08 October 2007, 11:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stoich point is different hence the more fuel use as the ecu is trying to run stoich from the feedback of the lambda sensor..

yes the ecu may take a little while to learn, depending on the year.. but if it has to learn backward then you will be running less power, ie. more knocklink activity so it needs to pull some timing.

Tend to find some cars feel more perky on tesco due to the effect of the AFR target difference, other just are not as safe..

Remapped for one or the other on the same car there is not a huge amount in it.. but the Vpower wins.. also able to get better mpg without resulting to turning the lambda sensor off or playing with the stoich target etc..

Simon
Old 09 October 2007, 12:41 PM
andy306
Scooby Regular

hi my first post i know lol, but....

you are right by saying tesco 99 ron isnt good enough. when i bought my evo 1 i went to my dads work...conoco oil refinery... and did my home work by looking at all the octane ratings that they have in the storage tanks.

tesco 99 ron is actually only 97.3 ron which could explain the problem your having. if you need any more up-tp-date ratings i will ask him to find out the ratings when he is back at work.

hope this helps a bit m8

andy
Old 09 October 2007, 04:25 PM
petes21st
Scooby Regular

yes what is v-powers actual RON?

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2007, 05:00 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andy306
hi my first post i know lol, but....

you are right by saying tesco 99 ron isnt good enough. when i bought my evo 1 i went to my dads work...conoco oil refinery... and did my home work by looking at all the octane ratings that they have in the storage tanks.

tesco 99 ron is actually only 97.3 ron which could explain the problem your having. if you need any more up-tp-date ratings i will ask him to find out the ratings when he is back at work.

hope this helps a bit m8

andy
Thats not true, tesco 99 is 99RON:
Greenergy International Ltd - Tesco 99 Octane

they must prove so and regularly test it in order to label it 99RON. Tesco also supply 'normal' super unleaded at 97 RON though so this could be what you saw in tha tanks.

I think tesco actually blend a 97RON petrol with some ethanol to achive the 99RON (ethanol is very high octane) and this blend is 99RON, similar to using an octane booster to raise the overall octane level.

However I believe ethanol has a lower calorific content than regular petrol so requires more fuel for the same amount of energy.
Old 09 October 2007, 05:01 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petes21st
yes what is v-powers actual RON?
V power is also 99RON
Old 09 October 2007, 05:17 PM
petes21st
Scooby Regular

not quite what i meant
Old 09 October 2007, 09:29 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

What did you mean?
Old 09 October 2007, 09:33 PM
petes21st
Scooby Regular

I thought that bloke above was saying he could find out what octane ratings each fuel actually was (with samples and sciency stuff) but i read it wrong.
Old 09 October 2007, 10:54 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
Thats not true, tesco 99 is 99RON:
Greenergy International Ltd - Tesco 99 Octane

they must prove so and regularly test it in order to label it 99RON. Tesco also supply 'normal' super unleaded at 97 RON though so this could be what you saw in tha tanks.

I think tesco actually blend a 97RON petrol with some ethanol to achive the 99RON (ethanol is very high octane) and this blend is 99RON, similar to using an octane booster to raise the overall octane level.
i know that tesco 99 ron is part bio ethanol. so if they have petrol at 97 RON, its highly likely the extra 2 RON is obtained from adding the bio ethanol.
Old 10 October 2007, 11:39 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Yes, I think thats right, whereas V-power is 99 ron without being blended with bio-ethanol as I recall.

Pity E85 is not mainstream in the UK as its got an octane rating of about 106 which would make it one hell of a fuel for an impreza.
Old 10 October 2007, 01:21 PM
davcom
Scooby Regular

I thought BP did a fuel over 100Ron for trackdays. not ultimate, but another one which should be availabel at a limited number of garages.

Check their website out!
Old 10 October 2007, 01:29 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davcom
I thought BP did a fuel over 100Ron for trackdays. not ultimate, but another one which should be availabel at a limited number of garages.

Check their website out!
I think it is 102ron and costs £2.49 per litre!!!!

Damo
Old 10 October 2007, 02:28 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Damocell
I think it is 102ron and costs £2.49 per litre!!!!

Damo
Yes, rediculous price. Way cheaper just to use octane booster and tesco 99/V-power for 102RON.

E85 is the holy grail of performance fuel imho, its 2p cheaper/litre than unleaded at the morrisons who stock it and 106 RON.
Old 10 October 2007, 05:01 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
E85 is the holy grail of performance fuel imho, its 2p cheaper/litre than unleaded at the morrisons who stock it and 106 RON.
Tell me more is this a Morrisons only fuel? I haven't heard of it before

Damo
Old 10 October 2007, 05:03 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Just found this.....so does it only work in specially modified cars?

BBC NEWS | Business | UK's first bioethanol pump opens

Damo
Old 10 October 2007, 05:42 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Damocell
Just found this.....so does it only work in specially modified cars?

BBC NEWS | Business | UK's first bioethanol pump opens

Damo
No major mods are needed, the biggest issue with ethanol is that it rots rubber, so your fuel lines and any rubber o-rings in the fuel system will need changing to something that will not rot. Not really a major job, but a bit of a sod if your doing it as a one off.

Pretty much all cars in brazil run on it so its easily overcome.

Morrisons only for now, wish they'd roll it out nationwide though, I'd definately get my roo mapped for it. It has the knock on benefit of the money going to sugar farmers and not the middle east too.
Old 10 October 2007, 07:02 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

A bit more info:

Coming Soon to a Gas Tank Near You
The what, where, and why of E85 ethanol
By Sarah Kraybill Burkhalter
06 Dec 2006
Read more about: placemaking | renewable energy | all of these topics
Tools: print | email | discuss | write to the editor | subscribe | RSS | share/bookmark(less)
Share: digg | hugg | stumbleupon | reddit | newsvine | fark | facebook
Bookmark: del.icio.us | google | yahoo
If you're like the rest of us, you've probably heard of E85 -- yet don't have the slightest idea what it is. Or if you do have an idea, it's, well, slight. But never fear, friends and neighbors: We've got the skinny on the corn-a-rific fuel that's increasingly on the tips of tongues and in the depths of gas tanks.

Lend us your ears.
Photo: Ohio Dept. of AgricultureSo ... what is it?
E85 is a motor fuel that is a blend of 15 percent unleaded gasoline and 85 percent ethanol, by volume. In the U.S., ethanol is usually derived from corn, but it can be made from virtually any starch. The U.S. Department of Energy defines E85 as an "alternative fuel," as it's an alternative to the straight-up oil-dependent gasoline that is the U.S. standard.

Why should I care?
Proponents of E85 emphasize that it burns nearly 30 percent cleaner than gasoline. Compared to gas-fueled vehicles, vehicles running on E85 emit about the same amount of nitrogen oxides, the same or lower levels of hydrocarbon and non-methane hydrocarbon, and less carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Ethanol can also be produced from domestic crops, boosting the U.S. economy and moving us toward ever-out-of-our-reach energy independence. And, say boosters, demand for E85 will encourage the growth of more crops, which suck up CO2.

Sounds great. What could go wrong?
Naysayers naysay that, this being the U.S., ethanol is unlikely to be produced in a sustainable way that benefits local farmers. Large-scale plantations will likely require lots of genetically modified seeds, pesticides, and nitrogen fertilizer. Opponents also see the potential, hopefully not realized, for forests to be cut down to make room for corn plantations, or for the emphasis on fuel crops to disrupt the food supply.

OK, while I'm weighing the pros and cons: Where can I get it?
It's big in Sweden. Oh, you don't live there? Well, many existing gasoline and diesel fuel systems in the U.S. can be cleaned out and used to store and dispense E85 -- so just go to your nearest E85-dispensing station. It'll be in the tank marked with a bronze-colored pentagon that says "E85."

An introduction to Grist's special series on biofuels.
Can My Car Do That? Find out which cars can run on ethanol and biodiesel.
The Big Three. The numbers behind ethanol, cellulosic ethanol, and biodiesel in the U.S.
What About the Land? A look at the impacts of biofuels production, in the U.S. and the world.
Give Green, Go Yellow. How cash and corporate pressure pushed ethanol to the fore.
More articles on biofuels.I drove around for ages looking, and I can't find one.
Oh, we forgot to mention: There are only about 600 E85 fueling stations in the U.S. at the moment -- and 300 of those are in Minnesota. If you live in Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island, or Vermont, you're outta luck -- there are no E85 fueling stations in your state. For the rest of you, here's a map of E85 stations in your area.

Wait, I'm corn-fused. I found my filling station and it has a sticker that says E85: Minimum 70 percent ethanol. I thought it was 85 percent ethanol?
Glad you asked. In cold weather, more gasoline needs to be added to ethanol-gasoline blends in order to ensure that they work properly. Thus, the "winter blend" requires a minimum of 70 percent ethanol. For the same reason, E85 is likely to be slightly more expensive in the winter than the summer.

That was my next question: What's it gonna cost me?
As of 2005, E85 in the U.S. was selling for about 36 percent lower price per quantity than gasoline, thanks to federal and state government subsidies and tax breaks. But don't be surprised if you find it for the same price as gasoline. Its price will vary just like gasoline prices.

Story continues below
ADVERTISING POLICY
Can I just go out and fill up my standard gasoline-powered car with E85?
It's not a great idea. Ethanol is incompatible with a variety of metals and materials used in normal fuel tanks, and will cause wear and tear. May we recommend to you a flex-fuel vehicle, which can run on any blend of gasoline and ethanol (up to 85 percent ethanol), as well as on straight gasoline? You can find lists of FFVs here -- they can be purchased for little or no more than a standard vehicle.

Can I convert my car to run on E85?
You can, but it's not recommended. Conversion kits are illegal in the U.S. unless they're EPA-certified, for safety reasons.

How will E85 affect my FFV's fuel economy?
One gallon of E85 contains 27 percent less energy than gasoline -- thus, your miles per gallon will be reduced roughly proportionally. The older your FFV, the worse the fuel economy tends to be.

Well, that sucks.
It does. But E85 is high-octane (an octane rating of 100 to 105, compared to 87 for standard gasoline), so you can cruise with the best of 'em -- Ford found that FFVs' power typically increased 5 percent running on E85 rather than gasoline.

What does E85 look like?
Gasoline, more or less. Pure ethanol is a colorless liquid, so it takes on the shade of gasoline when blended.

Hypothetical: a huge E85 tanker runs aground and spills its goods into the ocean. Would this be, as they say, bad?
The marine life would be unlikely to welcome the 15 percent gasoline in the mixture, but ethanol is water-soluble, nontoxic, and biodegradable.

I recall seeing Daryl Hannah lick the gas cap of her biodiesel car. Can I drink E85?
No. While 100 percent ethanol was at some point in its life cycle basically the alcohol in your alcoholic beverage and was technically imbibe-able, industrial distillers have to make it undrinkable with toxic or nasty-tasting substances to avoid an alcoholic beverage tax. Plus, there's gasoline in E85. Um, gross.