From the beginning.

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2007, 11:56 AM
StubbsySTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From the beginning.

Morning.

There's lots of threads on the site about individual tuning questions.
I'd really appreciate the step-by-step process from a fairly stock engine, using my STI as an example, to give me a timetable of events so to speak. Something to aim and budget for.
I want to up the power, but bear in mind that I have to keep reliability / MPG as she does about 300 miles a week.
Mr Bush, I think it was, when we were at Gloucester Park, mentioned that it might have an aftermarket ECU. Not something I'd know how to tell though. Aside from this it's got an HKS mushroom filter and a Hayward and Scott centre section and backbox.
Milometer is on about 54,000, 1995 WRX STi import, GC8C4ED engine code IIRC.
Those in attendance at ESC Gloucester Park also had a look at a lot of Apexi goodies in my boot - not wired in though. One's definitely a Turbo timer, not a clue what the rest is, so I may have some potential already........
All help and input appreciated.
Old 04 October 2007, 07:29 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

if you put pictures up of whats apexi stuff you have in your boot people will be able to tell you what they are i have the same car as you so i can give you a rough run down of what iv had done to mine if that helps

four pot calipers and bigger discs on the front £300
twin pot calipers and bigger discs on the rear £230
apexi induction kit £40 ebay
walbros fuel pump £70 flat four online
full decat built by a friend £250
frount mounted intercooler £280 with uprated clamps and extra hose
440cc intectors £100
apexi ecu fitted and mapped by zen £1000
apexi avc r boost controller £350

think thats about it im sure there is more but i cant think right now hope this helps
Old 05 October 2007, 07:35 AM
StubbsySTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks Howellsy. Will try to get some pics up mate. What sort of power are you running with those mods then?
Old 05 October 2007, 05:36 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

im not sure what power its running at a guess may be 330-340 but i honestly dont know when i have some spare cash next im going to get it on a rolling road and see
Old 05 October 2007, 07:38 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need to keep it reliable then abour 320bhp will be a figure thats pretty easy to achieve while keeping your gearbox healthy and not having to change the turbo.

The basic list of mods would be, uprated fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, boost controller, 440cc injectors, a front mount intercooler and a decat downpipe.

All of these with a decent map will produce 320+ bhp without too much problem on your standard TD05 16g turbo. You may get problems with the clutch slipping at this level so budget for an organic clutch and possibly a lightened flywheel at the same time.

If you dont already have an aftermarket ECU then your best bet is probably an ESL live mapping board, this will allow a custom remap of your ECU with knock control retained (ie some ability for the ECU to adjust the timing of the engine if it starts to knock).

Some gearboxes are OK past this level, others are not, either way you will struggle to get much more than this out of a TD05 16g.

Another worthwhile mod would be to port your headers and downpipe, this will bring the turbo in a few hundred rpm earlier. Theres no point in going for aftermarket headers at this level, neither is there any point in going for a 3" exhaust as the 2.5" will be fine.