Notices

sti 03 running 350bhp want near 400bhp

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2007, 01:54 PM
s9aru shady
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti 03 running 350bhp want near 400bhp

i have a sti 03 plate that is running at 350bhp at mo and i want to take it that next stage any recomdations would be great. because im new to modding scoobys and bought my car as it runs at the mo or should i just be happy with the power i have got cheers shady
Old 21 September 2007, 02:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Its hard to say how you should get to around 400bhp without knowing what you have in place already, the obvious thing you have to change is the turbo and one of the MD range from lateral performance would be a good improvement
Old 21 September 2007, 02:21 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MD321H turbo and tubular headers, 650cc injectors and remap (assume you've already got the other supporting mods in place) will see you at or around 400bhp Keep the top mount for lag free driveability. If it's hard track use you're after, you could fit a FMIC and get a few more ponies, but a TMIC will be quicker through the gears on the road (I know, I've tried both)
Old 21 September 2007, 03:03 PM
s9aru shady
Scooby Regular

my car has a hks induction kit straight through vortex exhaust by howard and scott and a dastex piggyback computer chip and remapped by engine advantages.so will i need diffrent injectors and fuel pump as well as a diffrent turbo and i was told to go for a front mount intercooler but expect tons of lag which i dont want so is a larger top mount beast then cheers for your comments so far shady
Old 21 September 2007, 03:15 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

If your after 400bhp then you could use your existing Injectors and fit an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator. ( the more pressure, the more fuel passes through the injector when it opens). But is probably easier and cheaper to sell your injectors and get 650cc sards. You can make 390-400 with standard headers, so really with what you have just need as above with bigger turbo and a remap, hey presto 400 bhp. I'll be surprised if engine advantages mapped it to 350 bhp without uprating the fuel pump, so you should be o.k there.
Old 21 September 2007, 04:01 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

also if you fit a fmic, a decent mapper can do their thing so you wont really notice the lag
Old 21 September 2007, 04:34 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The STI Injectors run out of puff at 370-380 BHP. I have been there!

The newage cars do not require an uprated reulator as I believe it is controlled by the ECU. My car was owned by a mapper, (one of the best) and he did not nned to fit one to get the above power.

The advice above is all good valid stuff.

MD321H turbo
650cc Injectors
Uprated Fuel Pump

Although, I would go for a proper remap, rather than a chip and get your headers ported to lower the curve a hundred or so revs.
Old 21 September 2007, 06:10 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
MD321H turbo and tubular headers, 650cc injectors and remap (assume you've already got the other supporting mods in place) will see you at or around 400bhp Keep the top mount for lag free driveability. If it's hard track use you're after, you could fit a FMIC and get a few more ponies, but a TMIC will be quicker through the gears on the road (I know, I've tried both)
I have a Hybrid FMIC supplied by Harvey and don't have any lag or noticable loss of throttle response. I think if he fits a bigger turbo, he'll notice more lag from that than from the FMIC.

I think the FMIC is worth it because you get no heat soak.

That's my two pence worth!
Old 21 September 2007, 06:15 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol

The newage cars do not require an uprated reulator as I believe it is controlled by the ECU. My car was owned by a mapper, (one of the best) and he did not nned to fit one to get the above power.

The advice above is all good valid stuff.

MD321H turbo
650cc Injectors
Uprated Fuel Pump

Although, I would go for a proper remap, rather than a chip and get your headers ported to lower the curve a hundred or so revs.

exactly what i'd have said
Old 21 September 2007, 06:33 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol

The newage cars do not require an uprated regulator as I believe it is controlled by the ECU. My car was owned by a mapper, (one of the best) and he did not nned to fit one to get the above power.
The Fuel regulator is definately not controlled by the ecu!! And you would definately need an adjustable one to make 400 bhp with the standard injectors.
The standard regulator can be used with the adequate size injector to make 500 bhp, I have been there!
Old 21 September 2007, 06:37 PM
loafofbrett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s9aru shady
my car has a hks induction kit straight through vortex exhaust by howard and scott and a dastex piggyback computer chip and remapped by engine advantages.so will i need diffrent injectors and fuel pump as well as a diffrent turbo and i was told to go for a front mount intercooler but expect tons of lag which i dont want so is a larger top mount beast then cheers for your comments so far shady
Would those mods make 350bhp? and wouldn't the fuel pump have already been upgraded?
Old 21 September 2007, 07:37 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

I would say 350 is possible with them mods, as i said above:

Originally Posted by SSCJAY
I'll be surprised if engine advantages mapped it to 350 bhp without uprating the fuel pump, so you should be o.k there.
Old 21 September 2007, 08:57 PM
s9aru shady
Scooby Regular

i got 350bhp on ea rollers but only 305lbs torque which i thought could be beter to be honest im not sure if the fuel pump has been changed i feel it could do that bit better with a few more mods. so what price should i expect to pay for the bigger turbo and injectors and remap im lost on the intercooler seems to be mixed feelings on what to have cheers for all your help looking forward to my next rolling road day with the esc at ea would like to have this done for then
Old 21 September 2007, 09:24 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

When is the rr day?

You can get 650 sards from Nengun Japan approx £250, you should be able to sell your injectors for £150, New Turbo I think the Md321h is about £1250, and you will probably get about £300 for your old one. Then you will have your Mapping costs (check with EA), fuel pump if needed £80.
Old 22 September 2007, 06:04 AM
s9aru shady
Scooby Regular

cheers for that will be doing this very soon rrday with esc is in october im sure its the 28th fella
Old 22 September 2007, 08:38 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Shady, I presume EA fitted the Unichip? If your car made 350bhp on their rollers they would be best placed to advise you on achieving 400bhp on the RR day.

As a minimum you will need......
  1. Bigger turbo
  2. Larger injectors
If you get stuck, give us a call or email - injectors etc in stock
Old 22 September 2007, 08:59 AM
CYP_ROCK
Scooby Regular

I gained 40bhp just from going from tmic to fmic but lost 200rpm in spool up when i ran the 20g. The car did lose its sharpens on the road.
Old 23 September 2007, 01:37 PM
s9aru shady
Scooby Regular

ea did fit the chip and i spoke to them friday and im ging to call back monday im not sure i want to go for a fmic but would like to go for a larger tmic as i do not want the lag and all the cutting about of the car but will be def going for the bigger turbo and injectors ive been told to do away with the chip and go for a live map to get the very best from the car. i will also need to know what the best spark plugs to use for this upgrade c heers for all your info it been a great help shady