Water Pipe Leak - Turbo to Header Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 08:07 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pipe Leak - Turbo to Header Tank

Hi folks,

I pulled up on the drive yesterday and switched the car off after it had been ticking over for a couple of mins like i normally do - and it had also done a steady cruise for 1-2 miles previous.

I saw some steam coming up through the scoop and so checked it out to find a tiny bit of water squirting out under pressure on the turbo end of the header to turbo pipe.

With work etc ive not been able to sort yet and its a little worse today so it needs sorting sharpish. What is worrying me is the water sounds to be boilng in the pipe/turbo enslosure.

I dont know if this happens other times but the pipe holds the pressure?? ive never listened!?? Can anyone tell me?

Is it just a case that the pipe needs replacing?

It doesnt look worn but this pipe was replaced when i had the coolant done last time which was well a year and a half or so ago.

There are only some clasp clips on the pipe so im thinking there cannot be that much pressure there!??

Is this pipe full of water or is it an overflow?

If i do replace the pipe can i just change it without replacing all the coolant?

I will check the level of the coolant anyway.

Could there be another underlying problem which is causing this extra pressure? Car run spot on for 3+ years! First tiny problem ive had with it.

TIA
Omen
Old 12 September 2007, 08:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pipe carries the coolant FROM the turbo.. therefore it get flippin hot.... i think most turbo cars would have very hopt water in this area even if you've allowed the car to idle, the turbo does get flippin hot!!!

You should be able to remove one end of the hose at a time, and not lose much coolant, however, remove the reservoir cap first to release the pressure.....!!
Old 12 September 2007, 11:42 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

Does it just sound like a case of a new pipe required or perhaps put a stronger clip on?

Im just worried there may be another problem causing it to boil and create pressure like that.
Old 13 September 2007, 02:53 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

FYI - Problem solved.

The hose was an expansion hose and was just full of hardened crap. I whipped it off, gave it a good fettle with a pozzy drive and water and slapped it back on. Spot on again now! Wish i had done that last night then i wouldn't have had a guy come running down from the office upstairs to tell me my car was on fire! Well funny. He was well relieved when i told him it was just steam. hehe
Old 13 September 2007, 06:02 PM
StubbsySTI
Scooby Regular

Omen, not hijacking the thread mate but this sounds similar to why I had to return my car after only 5 hours of ownership last Saturday. Is yours a classic? And do you have a pic of the problem area if so......as I couldn't identify where you're talking about cos I have a blind spot as far as looking at mechanicals goes.
Old 07 February 2008, 02:11 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

only just see this looking back at some posts - soz.

It is the small pipe running between the turbo and the expansion tank. There is no water in it - its like an overflow for hot water when the water stops getting pumped around when you switch the engine off. The pipe was all caked up inside and so couldnt feed the water into the tank so squited it onto the turbo instead! Hence the steam.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:11 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this same problem recurring over and over again. It's just a badly designed pipe, held on by inadequate spring clips.