Notices

standard intercooler upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 07:09 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question standard intercooler upgrades

what can be done to get the full potential of the standard tmic?
i've seen bits for tilting the intercooler on fleabay for £6 are they worthwhile doing?
i've also just heard about an undertray,where can i get one how does it work?
is there anything else that can be done?

Last edited by stigaz; 13 September 2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 14 September 2007, 03:39 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

bttt ,anyone know about this?
Old 14 September 2007, 11:48 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I got one of those kits off eBay, all it consists of is two spacers and some longer than standard bolts to jack the intercooler up on it's existing mounts. But if your sti is the same as my non-sti MY00 car then the metal plate on the bonnet under the scoop has a rubber seal on it that seals against the top of the intercooler. So if you jack up the intercooler then you'll probably have to take the rubber seal off and/or cut the metal plate to stop it fouling. A complete bodge-up and total waste of time in my opinion, because any improvement in air flow you might get through the intercooler by tilting it slightly will be miniscule compared to the increase in flow caused by the increase in air pressure through the scoop as you drive faster. I did read a post on here that suggested that particularly with the classic cars, if you drive above about 110mph then the air into the scoop has trouble passing through the intercooler quick enough and this can result in air flowing over the scoop and charge temperatures rising.
One problem the classic suffers from is that air into the scoop tends to flow to the rear of the scoop and so there is less flow through the fins at the front of the intercooler. You can solve this by fitting an intercooler splitter to direct part of the air into the scoop directly into the front section of the intercooler. I know the later sti's had splitters as standard, maybe you have too. You can get Heath-Robinson ones off eBay but I bought a stainless Zerosports one which fits under the bonnet scoop in place of the standard plate with the rubber seal ( Ian Hendry cars, about £120 I think ). Unlike the standard plate there is no rubber seal to the intercooler so if you're pushing on a bit then it might help with the charge temp problem by allowing excess air pressure to escape around the intercooler. Before fitting the splitter the intercooler was much cleaner at the front, now the dead insects are all over it.
Hope this helps
Kevin
Old 15 September 2007, 08:15 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply,much appreciated.
Old 15 September 2007, 08:43 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

had a look in zero sport site,some good bits there
i like this ¥È¥ê¥×¥ë¥á¡¼¥¿¡¼¥Õ¡¼¥É [0930001] - ¡ï21,000 : ZERO SPORTS, ¥¼¥í¥¹¥Ý¡¼¥Ä¥ª¥ó¥é¥¤¥ó¥·¥ç¥Ã¥×
Old 15 September 2007, 08:56 PM
Scooby Senior

putting 2 fans underneath, drawing air through is a good proven idea too