Notices

WHAT PERFORMANCE UPGRADES ARE THERE FOR AN STI2

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2007, 10:21 AM
lodgey47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WHAT PERFORMANCE UPGRADES ARE THERE FOR AN STI2

Im new to Impreza ownership and have recently perchased a Jap import STi2. I've fitted a scooby ecu chip and the car already has fitted a blitz boost controller and has a decat exhaust although the back box is standard. Its also got an induction kit. What options are there to increase the performance and what is the rough idea of the cost. Would an ecu of a later car fit, different turbos etc etc
Old 04 September 2007, 11:11 AM
bryhp
Scooby Regular

There are lots of different options, depends on your budget and how much power you want. the 16G td05 turbo on your car will be good for about 330 BHP. If you are wanting mega power you will need to change for a tdo5 20G best thing to do is look at AndyForrestPerformance. And research before you start. Good luck!!
Old 04 September 2007, 12:01 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lodgey47
Im new to Impreza ownership and have recently perchased a Jap import STi2. I've fitted a scooby ecu chip and the car already has fitted a blitz boost controller and has a decat exhaust although the back box is standard. Its also got an induction kit. What options are there to increase the performance and what is the rough idea of the cost. Would an ecu of a later car fit, different turbos etc etc
Think keeping it simple is the key to begin with,
If you already have a decat then change the backbox to something less restrictive and take your boost controller out then add a scott.T scoobyecu. It will be mapped for 1.1bar boost and have fueling and timing adjusted to safe levels. This will see you to 280-300bhp for less than £200 + the cost of a backbox.

After that its expensive, next stage is a FMIC (£200-£300) 440cc injectors (£200 flow tested) and an ESL live map (£500), this should see you to 320-330 bhp. This is the most you'll get out of the stock turbo so after this point we are talking spending £700+ on a new turbo and you'll need bigger injectors again. Your probably pushing it past 350bhp on the standard gearbox in any case.
Old 04 September 2007, 05:21 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

spoke to andy forest when i had my type ra which had a fmic, zost, filter, so with a fuel pump, pressure reg, apexi power fc. he reckoned 370bhp..std tdo5 turbo.....but thats a grand of mods...but to be fair, grant ( a friend of mine) has a sti ver 2 ra and his is 330 by andy f and it is mental !! more than enuff without the fmic, fpr, f pump etc..

Last edited by rabskyline; 04 September 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04 September 2007, 05:35 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
spoke to andy forest when i had my type ra which had a fmic, zost, filter, so with a fuel pump, pressure reg, apexi power fc. he reckoned 370bhp..std tdo5 turbo.....but thats a grand of mods...but to be fair, grant ( a friend of mine) has a sti ver 2 ra and his is 330 by andy f and it is mental !! more than enuff without the fmic, fpr, f pump etc..
I stand to be corrected but I dont think 370bhp is possible by a long way with a standard TD05 16g, even an 18g would need some well chosen supporting mods to acheive this figure as far as I have read.

Last edited by borat52; 04 September 2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04 September 2007, 07:51 PM
RA95
Scooby Regular

I have a 1995 TD05 on my RA. Rolling roaded at approx 350bhp with original slanty top mount IC and turbo - at this power level turbo and intercooler are limiting factors I believe (or so I've been told)

Everything else on the car was changed mind you - block (STi6), pistons, gaskets, studs, heads (p+p), air, fuel (pump + FPR + injectors), exhaust, clutch, ecu lol

Getting an APS FMIC next week to keep things safe, but then will probably need a new gearbox too.
Old 04 September 2007, 08:33 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
I stand to be corrected but I dont think 370bhp is possible by a long way with a standard TD05 16g, even an 18g would need some well chosed supporting mods to acheive this figure as far as I have read.
so there you are then matey...350 on a std top mount...so 370 fmic ..also i wasnt lying....ask andy f.......i think i still have the email...........i'll have a look.....
Old 04 September 2007, 09:40 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
so there you are then matey...350 on a std top mount...so 370 fmic ..also i wasnt lying....ask andy f.......i think i still have the email...........i'll have a look.....
Not saying you were lying, just that different rolling roads can estimate power differently, some more accurate than others and I've personally not heard of a stock TD05-16g on an impreza making 370bhp.

From the andy.F website for reference:
"AFP5-16 .... This turbo is very popular on installations aiming for up to 340bhp

AFP5-18 .... This turbo has made over 370bhp with similar spool and boost characteristics as the AFP5-16
... was fitted to our MY03 WRX demo car and after a few wastegate and map adjustments, power climbed to 378bhp and torque was 365lbft (still on sti8 tmic)

Its not common to acheive over 340bhp on the TD05-16g, would certainly be interested in the other engine mods and boost levels to get this power.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:17 AM
lodgey47
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Although I'm looking for around 300bhp I really want a bit more torque to give faster acceleration. The Scoobyecu chip I fitted takes boost upto 16psi, and is safe for UK unleaded which I wanted, and I'm looking at a couple of prodrive back boxes on ebay. I have the boost controller set to 16psi but I would like to get rid on it so the ecu takes care of boost but there's so many pipes I don't know where to start! When I first got the car it had some type of Jap performance chip fitted and I'm sure it was a lot quicker than it is now but maybe I'm just more used to the car. I'll get a decent back box and see how it performs.