Turbo Actuator Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2007, 10:47 AM
J3NKZ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Actuator Problems????

Hello,
I have a 94 wrx and am experiencing problems when driving, loss of power on high boost when the car has warmed up and I put my foot right to the floor.
I have checked the ecu and replaced the MAF and engine collant sensor as a result!! I have now reset the ecu and there are no fault codes after driving but the problem is still there

I have been told that this could be the actuator on the turbo as it is prone to rusting etc.

Can anyone tell me what the car would drive like if the actuator wasnt working properly??? and does it sound like it could be this??

Thanks
J3NKZ
Old 01 September 2007, 11:52 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

check all your turbo pipes, also all vac pipes
Old 01 September 2007, 12:28 PM
J3NKZ
Scooby Newbie

cheers!!
Old 02 September 2007, 08:23 PM
J3NKZ
Scooby Newbie

Right ive checked all the hoses and they all look ok, took the intercooler off and there are 2 underneath approx 15-20mm diameter - one of these seems to have a secondry hose around some of it (protective perhaps??) that is worn but doubt it is this!

Any other suggestions as it is pretty irritating???
Old 02 September 2007, 09:11 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

[quote=J3NKZ;7222234]Hello,
I have a 94 wrx and am experiencing problems when driving, loss of power on high boost when the car has warmed up and I put my foot right to the floor.

Hi Mate,

can you be a bit more specific about what the problem is. If you're making boost then the actuator is ok. If you can't hold stable boost then maybe the boost control solenoid needs a clean out.

If boost reponse is sluggish and top speed is down then you've got a leak somewhere between the compressor and intake manifold, in which case you'll be running way too rich and should be getting crap mpg.
Old 03 September 2007, 01:21 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Agree there, I had a new hybrid turbo fitted not long ago and found the actuator, although new, was weak...ended up that holding high boost couldn't be done without the solenoid working flat out for ages. You can test how your actuator is doing my removing the "boost control" (solenoid) pipwork, this allows just the actuator's spring pressure to hold boost. Mine was .7 bar max before and now its 1.2 bar max with the new stronger actuator.

I doubt if you're getting decent boost but power loss that its the actuator at fault.
Old 03 September 2007, 01:25 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

i am havin the exact same problems with my 96 wrx...also seem to have a strange sound coming from the bottom of the car at the same time...very confused
Old 03 September 2007, 07:15 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

i managed to fix my problem...make sure all fuel pipes r connected tht was my problem!
Old 06 September 2007, 07:41 PM
J3NKZ
Scooby Newbie

MarkFitz
Sorry to take so long to reply!! Thanks for your reply

When the car is warmed I can accelerate quite quickly up passed 90-100 but if I put my foot right to the floor it is like hitting a brick wall.

Boost is fine especially through 1st to 3rd, then after that I tend to get the problem!! cannot say how stable because I do not have a boost gauge.

What does the boost control solenoid look like and how do you clean it?

Top speed - still restricted
As for MPG get about 190 miles to 40 quids worth of premium unleaded - sounds about right to me???

Again thanks for your response
Cheers
J3NKZ
Old 06 September 2007, 10:14 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

[quote=J3NKZ;7233852]MarkFitz
Sorry to take so long to reply!! Thanks for your reply...

Hi Mate,

The boost solenoid is bolted to the driver-side susp. turret. But if this gets clogged you end up with wobbly boost response. Cleaning out involves removing it and blasting it, along with the signal hoses, with WD40, etc.

Could be worth checking that the signal hose, from the manifold to the map sensor (located above the boost solenoid), hasn't popped off somewhere.
If so then max boost will only be 0.5ish bar, so same spool-up but no top-end.

As for mpg, you should be able to squeeze 230miles between fills if you keep off boost. Below 200miles would suggest an induction leak or stuck dump valve, imho.
Old 07 September 2007, 12:30 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J3NKZ
MarkFitz
When the car is warmed I can accelerate quite quickly up passed 90-100 but if I put my foot right to the floor it is like hitting a brick wall.

Boost is fine especially through 1st to 3rd, then after that I tend to get the problem!! cannot say how stable because I do not have a boost gauge.
You need a boost guage, to me it sounds like a coil or coils are breaking down at highest demand (max boost). You can't say 'boost' only power is fine unless your measuring it!

Even a cheap guage will give you an idea of whats going on, I bluetack one to the dash for dev't and then remove once I know what's happening!

Simon
Old 07 September 2007, 12:44 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

duplicate post deleted
Old 07 September 2007, 01:26 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Agree with rookie, only way forward is to fit a boost gauge and see what boost she's producing in higher gears...

Def clean out the solenoid and pipes and then check all hoses etc...without much in the way of "monitoring" kit, you'll have a job to resolve it.
Old 08 September 2007, 09:19 AM
J3NKZ
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks all, will get a gauge and see whats happening
Cheers
Jenks