Notices

Help, coolant still coming out overflow after getting the heads done?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2007, 04:06 PM
BULLETtheBLUEsyk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help, coolant still coming out overflow after getting the heads done?

I've just got the heads done in my95 wrx (3000km ago). My problem is with coolant coming out the overflow tank, I went to my local subaru garage and they suggested changing the radiator which I have done and it's still coming out the overflow. Now there suggesting changing the water pump?? It really fells like there guessing with my money...

After a not so hard drive if I park up and leave the engine running the temperature guage will rise 3/4 ways but not peak. (it dosen't doo it all the time)If i give the engine a very gently rev the guage comes back to half way, when i go check the coolant expansion bottle (passanger side), the coolant is up to the neck and bubbling away. The car is obviously throwing out coolant while i'm driving. (Could I have overfilled the coolant system when replacing the radiator?, it still dosen't explain the temperature rising 3/4 way)

1. If the termostat was sticking could it cause the coolant to overflow?

2. If there was a problem with the water pump could it possibly cause the over flow proplem. My heaters are working fine.

3. The radiators has been out a couple of times, could I have an airlock?

4. I really don't want to go down the head gasket route again as i've pumped nearly €2500 into the scooby in the last couple of months and still get the fear evertime I hear a kettel boil

Please help and don't mention head gaskets as mine is one of the best in the country..

many thanks..
Old 25 August 2007, 04:35 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if your still getting bubbles then i'll say headgaskets or head not sealing
Old 25 August 2007, 04:38 PM
BULLETtheBLUEsyk
Scooby Newbie

going for a blast right now, going to fill the header tank to the brim and make sure the overflow is at the right level, when I come back and stop the car if there bubbles in the overflow does that mean my heads are cooked again...

Is there a difference between the water boiling and bubbles, are they 2 different things, how can you tell the difference?
Old 25 August 2007, 04:57 PM
BULLETtheBLUEsyk
Scooby Newbie

Just went for a 14k blask, temperature guage did not rise when I got back, There were definatly big bubbles coming up through the coolant expansion bottle..

is there anything else that could be casing this besides the head gasket as it's just been replaced (both gaskets)?
Old 25 August 2007, 05:06 PM
BULLETtheBLUEsyk
Scooby Newbie

Could it be an airlock, how can i make sure it's not?
Old 25 August 2007, 06:20 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

remove the header cap, have the heaters on warm and turn them on (be careful removing the cap) any air will come out of the system whilst it is running, keep a check on the levels and top up if neccesary and take it from there