Advice needed - tuning to 2.5l

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 07:39 PM
rasonline
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed - tuning to 2.5l

Hi all

wow.. i haven't posted on here in a while...

Ok... so i've run a big end bearing on my STi ver 6 after having changed the turbo. Time for the motor to come apart.

Calling on suggestions from those who know a bit about Subarus. I'm quite tempted to go 2.5 Litre now that the engine has to come apart.

Considerations are:

How strong is a Forrester 2.5 sub-assembly? Will it stand up to 1 bar boost from the Air Research (Garrett) turbo that i'm going to be running? The turbo is medium sized, and i would say similar to a Mitsubishi TD05 20G turbo.

Or do i have to get a 2.5 STi sub-assembly?

If I stick with the 2.0 setup, i'm considering replacing my existing sub-assembly with a 2005 WRX sub. While the WRX sub is in the car, then i will rebuild the existing STi 6 sub-assembly (as the crank is supposed to be much stronger than modern WRX units). Is anybody aware of why the new technology 2.0 WRX sub may not be up to the task of 1.0 bar boost and 7,500 rpm? I have had conflicting reports... some say it can't handle that much rpm.. some say it can't handle that much boost... some say it will do just fine.

All other bits on the car are stock, except for the management system which a fully-programmable unit, and the turbo mentioned above.

anxious to get moving again

(I've included a poll for you guys to say what you think i should do.. but please also give some iinformed comments.) Edited: So i forgot to include the poll in my haste to get this post up and get to bed...

thanks.

RAS

Last edited by rasonline; 19 August 2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Messed up by forgetting to include a poll...
Old 19 August 2007, 10:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serch on the subject on Drivetrain and in Projects.
There is a mass of very good info to either confuse or make your mind up.
Alternativly, call David at www,apiengines.com
Tell him '911' sent you.

API have done it all on engines and several simple and complex 2.5's.