Notices

would anyone know???

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 12:16 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would anyone know???

I in the process of changing my turbo. i direct replactment.. (TD04)

There three bolts that hold the turbo in the manifold. Which are like three studs where u put the turbo in then add a nut on to tighten up.

when removing the turbo i seem to un bolt all the nuts and removed the turbo up when i go to put the new turbo on its seems like half the stub has sheared off. leaving half the stud. so where i try add the turbo there no room to bolt the new nut on....... on the stubs i know its old and rustey but are they fixed studs or screwable????? its got a a bit underneath which seems like a thread. also need a new gasket from wilson which goes under the turbo because the one now is grumbling up.... so i thought no point putting it all back together when it starts to blow....

Anyone got any ideas

cheers

Last edited by davidscooby; 19 August 2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 19 August 2007, 12:51 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure the studs are threaded on both ends with no threads in the middle, like manifold studs. Sometimes when removed, either all the stud and nut will come off or just the nut, leaving the stud in the up pipe. Therefore they should be removable if one shears. Maybe need to grind it flat and drill it out if it

View my Scooby, 5th pic down. Are those the studs your on about?

Last edited by weeebell; 19 August 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 19 August 2007, 01:21 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

Yea prefect pic..

thats the one the far left stud is now half in size as its broken in half......
I cant refit the turbo until that stud is fixed.... Also need a new gasket for that area to.... when i go to subura what gasket do i ask for from them??

So you recon its threaded..... so annoying really wanted to get it back on the road this weekend. looked at the stud and gasket and i was like bloody car haha

need to get the far left stud out asap and replace it... any ideas????

cheers

Dave
Old 19 August 2007, 01:38 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Its threaded. Try using 2 nuts to lock the stud then you should be able to remove it.

Ticky
Old 19 August 2007, 01:40 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

there only enough room one nut.. any other ideas. be doing it on wednesday hopefully

cheers
dave
Old 19 August 2007, 01:44 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Just ask for the gasket between the turbo and up pipe.

As for removing it, i'd grind the stud down flat to the up pipe then drill it out. Push a rag inside the up pipe to stop any matal getting inside it. Start with a 1/8 drill bit and work your way up to maybe 3/16.

Good luck.
Old 19 August 2007, 01:48 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

Lucky enough i had a nut go down the down pip and not the up pipe. got to that out aswell. i use the rags next time haha.
is the stud threaded all the way or just either end.... if i drill it out will i need i bolt underside and then put turbo on then another nut on top.....

some one put it step by step.. sorry to sound dumb

cheers

all
Old 19 August 2007, 01:51 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davidscooby
there only enough room one nut.. any other ideas. be doing it on wednesday hopefully

cheers
dave
I suppose removing the up-pipe & taking it to a garage to remove the stud might be easier.
Old 19 August 2007, 01:54 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

then removing uppipe might open another can of worms to be honest....

what about moul grips...

putting all my ideas out really

cheers

dave
Old 19 August 2007, 02:03 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I have used heat from a blow torch on similar stubborn bolts. With that & the mole grip you might be on a winner.

But on a serious note removing the up-pipe will be better option. It all depends on your tools. I doubt the stud will come out on it own. Heat will make it easier.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:06 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

could you not weld a nut onto the stud and then wind it out that way? it will work, they are studs that are designed to be removed if damaged/broken.
Old 19 August 2007, 02:18 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

bloody pains in the ***! .............. if i try blow touch and moul grips. hopefully..... is the stud fully threadable????
Old 19 August 2007, 03:00 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Stud will be threaded into the up pipe. Welding a nut on would be a good idea.If it shears again, then drill it and either put a replacment stud in (ask for some at your dealers when getting the gasket) or a smaller nut and bolt.
Old 19 August 2007, 04:08 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

i sopose i could put a nut on then weld the nut to the stud..then try big spanner loads of wd40

what are my chances?????

another question i been racking my brains about.... u know under the turbo there is a tube i am finding that hard to get back on with the clips??????
Its directly under the turbo....

any ideas

Dave
Old 19 August 2007, 05:59 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

well lads???

i was just thinking to myself that prolly be easier to grind it flat then drill it out. Then just use a nut and bolt sort of the same size would be ok ?????

easy then welding a nut to the stud then try get it out. If i actually did that and it brakes again with the nut then the only way is to drill it out right???

also thinking about the tube under the turbo which needs fitting to turbo and engine.... well hard to push the turbo down on to the tube with clips on and you cant get your hands to it????

any idea guys

dave
Old 19 August 2007, 06:39 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I can see the idea behind the nut & bolt fix but when it comes to torqueing up the nut & bolt you need to get access to it. That may be difficult depending which stud it is on the up-pipe?

If you are not successful why not replace it with a 2nd hand up-pipe?

I would fit the hose to the turbo 1st & secure the clip. Then fit the turbo guiding the hose onto the metal pipe.
With the 2nd spring clip you can have it higher up on the rubber hose or have it on the metal pipe to which the rubber hose slides onto. Once you get the hose on, use long nose pliers & grab the clip slide it up or down.

Ticky
Old 19 August 2007, 06:44 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

its so far down and hard to get to????

trouble with uppipe bolt and that area there all old and rusty and brake easy.... i try get the stud out first.... then replace it with a new stud maybe????

anyone ?

cheers

dave
Old 19 August 2007, 06:53 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

When I refitted mine I left the hose and clip on, and the turbo just slid into it. Maybe use a little WD40 around the inside of the pipe just to help it in. After that , sit the turbo on the remaining studs and tighten

I do remember the hose your on about and it is a bit of a barsteward. Have a mate under the car to help you guide the turbo into the hose. Thats what I did

Last edited by weeebell; 19 August 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 19 August 2007, 08:03 PM
davidscooby
Scooby Regular

so you left the pipe on the engine and as u put the turbo in place with the pipe facing upwards. u let it push on pipe and let it push on.. does it go on ok with the clip in place..........if i leave the clip thing off on the turbo bit will it leak or will it be ok.... cheers dave
Old 19 August 2007, 11:11 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Correct. Thats the way I did mine. Its not a jubilee clip so as long as you can make it go in with fitting in place it should be fine.