Notices

Petrol / octane question

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 03:45 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petrol / octane question

Hey guys, appologies in advance for what is probably a very stupid question, but I just wanna be 100% sure about it so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Okay, so I pull up at a shell petrol station to get me some v-power, and I'm parked up at one of 3 pumps on the side I was on. I notice that on the first & second pumps the order is (from left to right) diesel, v-power, normal. But then on the 3rd pump I was parked at it was diesel, normal, v-power So yeah I just thought it was strange that one was different to all of the others there, I thought they might've just mixed the normal & v-power labels up on the 3rd pump or something. I dunno. So anyway, I just filled the car up & forgot about it. But last week now the car has seemed a bit ****. Top end has just gone like.....feels really slow. Then it dawned on me today......I bet those pumps were wrong and I've had 95 octane in there for the week. I put v-power in today now and she's like a rocket ship again!

So yeah, my car is a MY00 turbo 2000, and I think they're okay to run on the 95 aren't they? I don't need to reset my ecu or anything now I've run a tank of the lower octance stuff? It seems pretty much back to normal now. Sorry that was such a long post for such a simple question!

Cheers
Old 19 August 2007, 05:24 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switching labels would be easy enough, even filling the tanks with the wrong stuff is quite common, as is water ingress in old corroded tanks. Be thankful it may have been 95 and not diesel ! You might have got a batch of 95, but a UK car with little or no mods will barely notice, and the ECU does adjust, albeit slowly on Classics.
Old 19 August 2007, 01:13 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah I thought it'd be okay. Yeah the only mods I've got are an sti panel filter, ninja downpipe & afterburner decat centre section. It seems to be getting better now anyway

I spoke to the guy at the petrol station thismorning actually, and I just mentioned to him "I think you might've had the wrong labels on the 3rd pump there last week" (cuz I noticed they were all right this time) and he just looked at me as if to say " don't start man" lol......and he said that a few weeks ago they did have diesel put in the v-power tank!!!! so good job I didn't go to fill up then or I'd have been a very upset boy! They've just had the whole fourecourt re-done there, all shell garages seem to be having work done on them at the mo in some way or another. So yeah he said that the company doing the work were complete & utter ****e and kept cocking everything up lol.

Last edited by simonds1; 19 August 2007 at 01:18 PM.