Notices

headers...

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2007, 11:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headers...

A big can of worms i know.... but which are the best non equal length tubular headers... for a classic turbo... my00....
Old 14 August 2007, 10:38 AM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, i would personalley stick with the standard headers and have them ported over. i have tried two different types of after market headers. One of them of ebay, these where the one with the built in up pipe, these where crap as the collector completely cracked after 9 months. This occured as soon i went over 300bhp mark. I then decided to place them with the GT spec headers which has a seperate up pipe ( 3 bolt design ), Although these are good, however the up pipe volume is just to large and causes the scoob little bit longer for the turbo to come to full boost.

Im now in the process of porting the headers myself. You can get this done professionally. just do a search in the forum and look for someone called harvey. Allot of people have got him to port their stock headers and they have had very good results.

Remember when you get your headers changed or ported you will most likely need to get a remap.

i hope that helps

regards

djquest
Old 14 August 2007, 09:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Many thanks!!
Old 14 August 2007, 10:54 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

RON,

I went the route of megan headers which also cracked. I ported some OE headers and there is a vast improvement. I'm using a 2" upipe for a VF29 (ish) turbo. Its a little on the large side which is why Harvey produces his own smaller diameter uppipe to go with ported headers.

I think the question most will ask is what power level you are at or hoping for.

I thought the 20g was sold ages ago? What turbo do you have?

Wayne.
Old 15 August 2007, 06:55 AM
Scooby Regular

Before my 20g I ported my own cast headers keeping the stock up-pipe.
I have access to the right grinders for the job which makes it simple to do.
It worked well. That was at 315 bhp (Sti V3 stock on Vmax x 1.2 bar)

Going the 20g route on a stock long engine I used Gruppe S V2 stainless headers with a helix up-pipe via an Snet Group Buy 3 years ago.

I wrapped them and the engine hit 380/360/407 depending on which RR you want to believe (!).
I am at 1.6 bar and they are leak-free and great.

Graham.
Old 15 August 2007, 10:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
RON,

I went the route of megan headers which also cracked. I ported some OE headers and there is a vast improvement. I'm using a 2" upipe for a VF29 (ish) turbo. Its a little on the large side which is why Harvey produces his own smaller diameter uppipe to go with ported headers.

I think the question most will ask is what power level you are at or hoping for.

Wayne.
Wayne, this question was asked for a friend, they recently bought a car which has been fitted with equal length headers..... 'she' wants the burble back, and wants to know which route to take..... i will advice them....

The 20g did indeed go ages back..... i'm now runnign a tdo5 16g..... along with a few other things to make a sensible and smooth 300 ponies.....
thats it for my car... no more!!
Old 15 August 2007, 10:44 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

RON,

Wayne.
I have a set of Wayne's headers that he ported for me, they lowered the spool point of my VF28 by about 500 rpm. Also the engine sounded a little quieter and smoother and reved quicker.

Forgot to mention Wayne ported them and then I wrapped and sprayed them.

Damo

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2007, 11:34 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Wayne, this question was asked for a friend, they recently bought a car which has been fitted with equal length headers..... 'she' wants the burble back, and wants to know which route to take..... i will advice them....

The 20g did indeed go ages back..... i'm now runnign a tdo5 16g..... along with a few other things to make a sensible and smooth 300 ponies.....
thats it for my car... no more!!
RON,

Thats make sense now! I wondered what you were running after seeing the for sale thread.

You are probably right with OE headers for giving the burble. I am so much happier with the sound that I get from the car now I have reverted back to OE. It is louder on a 70mph cruise than with the megans though.

Wayne.
Old 15 August 2007, 11:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Damocell
I have a set of Wayne's headers that he ported for me, they lowered the spool point of my VF28 by about 500 rpm. Also the engine sounded a little quieter and smoother and reved quicker.

Forgot to mention Wayne ported them and then I wrapped and sprayed them.

Damo
Now then mate, hows tricks?

What RPM do you get full boost at with the ported headers? I'm getting 1.2bar at 3500 and it seems a little high. Maybe I need a decat downpipe instead of the sports cat.

Wayne.
Old 16 August 2007, 12:26 AM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Now then mate, hows tricks?

What RPM do you get full boost at with the ported headers? I'm getting 1.2bar at 3500 and it seems a little high. Maybe I need a decat downpipe instead of the sports cat.

Wayne.
What gear? does seem a little high for 4th/5th probably about right for 3rd

When the car was running right through the midrange I was seeing 1.4bar just before 3000rpm (5th gear) on my boost gauge, however it needs the map sorting properly and a run on dyno dash for me to be absolutely certain as I am only just getting to the bottom of the problems I have had.

Damo
Old 16 August 2007, 12:39 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

In 4th I'm getting around 1.2 at 3500. Just mapping it to 1.4 mid to see what I can get but the spool is a little late and is making me look at the downpipe.

The turbo is ported with a 2" uppipe which may not help. What uppipe did you end up using Damo?

Wayne.

PS Sorry to hijack RON
Old 16 August 2007, 12:48 AM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Standard uppipe but I can't remember what size that is

Damo
Old 16 August 2007, 08:39 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

RON,

Wayne.

I dont think a set of Megan have ever lasted longer then around 9 months, amazed they still sell them considering they must have near 100% failure rate.

I have GT Spec gen II but I wouldent bother unless you have changed for a larger turbo plus other things IMO.

Renno