Classic WRX heater problem.

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2007, 08:38 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Classic WRX heater problem.

Help or advice needed please, it's a bit long winded, so I'll try and keep it as short as possible.

Here goes.

Ever since I've owned my car, the heaters have only ever blown through the top vents and into the footwell, never out of the forward facing dash vents, no matter what setting the dial was at.

Also at the same time, only one of the heater controls has ever been illuminated when the lights were on, closest to the steering wheel, incase it's noteworthy.

Now I finally got sick of all three controls not being lit, so I bought some LED's and replaced all three heater control bulbs and the main instrument cluster bulbs. Looks nice, better that the dull green and all the heater controls are now lit.

Now though, here is the problem, no matter where the directional control is set, air, hot or cold, only blows out of the forward facing vents. A small amount may be coming into the footwell, but none whatsoever out of the top vents.

This is fine in the summer, but isn't going to be much use in winter, obviously.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, how was it fixed? Or any suggestions.

There's only one large wiring plug that goes into the back of the control unit, and this was put back in place.

Cheers in advance, and apologies for the length of post,

Micky
Old 13 August 2007, 10:16 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your servo motor has packed up or the metal rod has come off.
The main heater matrix unit has a servo on each side. You should be able to see if these are working but you need to get in an awkward position to view. Removing the plastic trim panel above the footpedals might help a little.

One of the servo controls the heat & the other controls the venting position. I cannot remember which side does what? So try adjusting the heater control while looking at the servo. You should see or hear the rod/motor move. Once you have fiqured out the heater servo then do the same of the opposite side. If the rod is attached & there is no movement whilst adjusting the dial. Then it will need replacing. The servo is grey in colour & is removable from the heater unit. Its held in place by 2 philips screws. No need to remove the dasg etc. Just a little tricky to get too.

Ticky
Old 13 August 2007, 10:31 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Was no rods connected to my heater control panel when I removed it to fit the new bulbs, also none left dangling that may have been attached IIRC.

It's worth having a look though, but is the air flow direction control different between a WRX and UK car?

Pic of my controls may have been useful in my original post.

My heater control panel:

Illuminated

Cheers for the pointer Will have a look, any other ideas are more than welcome, the more things to try the better.

Micky
Old 13 August 2007, 10:43 PM
Scooby Senior

the rods are connected to servo's as per ticky's post, re read it again

the matrix box isn't the heater controls, it's the bit behind the dash
Old 13 August 2007, 11:21 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

The matrix box has certain passage ways which are controlled by flaps/doors.
It also has the matrix unit inside (small rad). The rods are attached to the flaps/doors as well as the servo's

So when you turn your venting dial it also turns the servo electronically. The attached rod moves & then opens or closes the flap/door. Hence when your blower motor is switched on it directs the air through the passages. Depending which flap/door is opened its changes the route for the air to flow.

The 1 servo is on your left hand side when your sittng in the drivers seat.
The 2nd servo is on your right hand side when your is the passenger seat.

The matrix box is behind the radio but the servos are on either side of it.

Ticky
Old 14 August 2007, 05:19 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Gotcha. I'll pull the control unit out tonight and have a look behind it,

Was talking to a mate today, and he's sure there are 2 wiring plugs that connect, whereas I think there was only on that I reconnected.

Cheers, hopefully your advice will sort it

Micky
Old 14 August 2007, 06:43 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Cool

Ticky + 500

Sorted now, thanks you your help.

I took the heater controls out, wiring all connected. Tried turning the direction control, could hear the servo moving.

So, now this would have been more fun in the dry, got down on my hands and knees to look under the dash, and saw that one of the little rods wasn't connected.

Clipped it back in, and it now works perfectly

Thank you very much for your help

Micky