Notices

Induction kit / mapping

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2007, 11:38 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction kit / mapping

Got an induction kit on my car and the car was remapped with it in place, so I have no worries over fuelling, etc, but..................

The noise is starting to do my head in!!! Full throttle sounds ok, but light throttle and through towns, etc sounds feckin horrible!!!!

My question is......can I remove the induction kit and it a decent panel filter (maybe leave the resonator box off) and still run the car withough having to remap again???

I'd guess the car will run a little rich, but as I have been reading that the standard airbox is fine for the power level I'm at (336bhp), the air flow will be as much with the panel filter as it is with the induction kit???

Will it run ok????
Old 13 August 2007, 12:22 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

At the power level you are at, the original intake is not substantively restricted, so swapping back to the airbox with good replacement panel (STi, K&N, Green) will be so similar that you certainly won't need a remap.

Simon
Old 13 August 2007, 12:36 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Is it an under bonnet IK? You could try the inner wing (Cold Air) IK's. I find the noise completely tolerable.
Old 13 August 2007, 01:24 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

It is an inner wing kit Gaz.

Like I say, full throttle is fine as you have plenty of other noise, it's the light throttle applications that are horrible.

It's just a SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH followed by what sounds like a VTA dump valve. Obviously this is the recirc dump valve, but as the end of the intake tract is now "open", I can hear the dump.
Old 13 August 2007, 01:32 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

sounds like you have a leek somewhere then, my APS induction kit in the wing sounds fantastic, I used to get a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound when I had a VTA installed and on half throttle it leaked constantly.

I have a 97/98 recirc fitted now and that sounds like lorry airbrakes rather than VTA, the car sounds like a jet when accelerating and decelerating.

Last edited by Wurzel; 13 August 2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 13 August 2007, 02:00 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
sounds like you have a leek somewhere then, my APS induction kit in the wing sounds fantastic, I used to get a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound when I had a VTA installed and on half throttle it leaked constantly.

I have a 97/98 recirc fitted now and that sounds like lorry airbrakes rather than VTA, the car sounds like a jet when accelerating and decelerating.

But I want mine to sound like an Impreza (albeit a powerful one)!!!

I just haven't noticed any Scoobs at stuff like TOTB and Shootout making the same SSSHHH kind of noise. As for leaks, it is exactly as it was when it was mapped on Friday, so I'm sure the lads at Scooby Clinic would have said something about any leaks.

Maybe the noise it makes is the noise I can expect......I just don't like it.
Old 13 August 2007, 04:00 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Exclamation

It's not just the airflow capability of the filter but the inlet air temperature will have a direct effect on performance, more so if the inlet temperature compensation maps have been set-up well.

Inlet temperatures as measured by the MAF will be greater with the OE airbox set-up.

Trending Topics

Old 13 August 2007, 08:17 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmm..........so..........

What I was thinking of was fitting an Sti panel filter into the original air box, but then alter the original cold air intake so that is feeds direct from the ...erm..."scoop" type thing and then into the filter.

Kind of a GP Moto de-snorkel type affair.

What effect will the inlet temperature compensation maps have if the effective inlet temp is higher? Safe to run, but loss of performance,or safe to run, negligible power loss, etc, etc??

Thanks for the info and advice so far anyway chaps.....this is what Scoobynet is about!!