RA Engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2007, 07:32 AM
andy_ra
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RA Engine knocking

Hi guys,

Just picked up my '95 STI Type RA from the docks and guess what, there is a knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine. The noise is not what I would typically have said was the big end going though. It only seems to knock when you come off the throttle, its fine when you rev it up but when you let off it knocks a couple of times as the revs drop off normally. It knocks occasionally on idle, but not very often.

When I checked over the car there was basically no oil in it, it was below the dipstick level. Im guessing that it has been driven around in the docks from the boat to the compound without enough oil and its cooked one or more of the big end bearings and this is the knock im hearing but I wanted to know if there could be anything else making the noise?? Being hopeful I guess but you never know.

Next question would be where can I get the parts to rebuild the engine and rough prices, or does anyone know of a low milage RA engine that I could get complete (mines only done 76,000 KM) to drop in? Since its an RA I would like to keep the correct block rather than replace with a normal WRX/ 2000 AWD block so any help on where to get the bits/new engine would be much appreciated!!

This is a great start to Scooby ownership this!
Old 13 August 2007, 08:31 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you? Sounds like you have spun a bearing

If you want to rebuild the engine yourself, Lateral, API and ZEN performance can supply the parts you need.

You can't regrind the crank, you will need a new one.

You will need a full gasket kit, a crank, a new modine (oil cooler) and a set of mains and big end bearings

You will need a full strip down and make sure that you spotlessly clean all the oil galleries.

The likes of API or ZEN can rebuild your motor if you are not confident, cost is around 3k

Crank's are about 450, bearings I would uprate to ACL Race series, which aren't far off the std price, but a better bearing at circa 350, modine is about 130, and a gasket set I'd say about 280. plus the normal oil filter etc.

With it being an import, I'd suggest you have a re-map for UK fuel, you will also see an improvement in power and fuel economy.

I have a crank that is ok here should you need one, PM me for details if you are interested

Unfortunately it isn't a good start, it happened to me on 2 of my scoobies, so I know your pain

Adam