Notices

Parallel fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2007, 09:46 PM
Mongo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parallel fuel rail

Whats involved in the mod? I understand that there is a break made in the two fuel lines, T peices added and where the original inlet and outlet were are connected togeather. But, what happens with the FPR? Only one side of the fuel lin ewill be pressurised correctly..

P.s I've done a search, but had crap results!

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 12 August 2007, 09:14 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

you will need another FPR mate, bypass the std one and fit a good after market that controls FP on the return
Old 12 August 2007, 09:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a bit tricky to get your head round at first. You need to visualise your standard fuel system and then think what needs changing. At present your fuel comes in pressurised by the fuel pump through a filter at the nearside of the inlet manifold. It follows the route n/s/rear > n/s/front > o/s/front > o/s/rear. Sorry I can't remember which cylinder's numbered which. Once past the final injector at o/s/r it hits the OE regulator in the end of the o/s rail. The return from the reg goes under the manifold and back out the n/s and thence back to the tank.

So to 'equalise' or make parallel the route, you basically want to T the fuel feed just after the filter, with one pipe going to the original feed position on the n/s of the manifold and one going across to where the regulator normally goes. At this location, you need to remove the OE regulator and replace it with a rail adapter that will give you a simple 8mm hose tail to join onto.

Next you need to disconnect the link pipe that joins the two seperate fuel rails under the manifold and run these both to a T. The exit of this T will then be joined to your new adjustable fuel pressure regulator (or you could reuse your OE one, just leave it loose rather than plugged into a rail), the return from the reg then goes to the standard return pipe up in the n/s/r corner of the engine bay.

Hope this helps!
Old 13 August 2007, 11:55 AM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mongo
Whats involved in the mod? I understand that there is a break made in the two fuel lines, T peices added and where the original inlet and outlet were are connected togeather. But, what happens with the FPR? Only one side of the fuel lin ewill be pressurised correctly..

P.s I've done a search, but had crap results!

Thanks in advance

Mark
Some FPR have two inputs & 1 output, so when you T the inlet to both rails, you just connect the other end of the rails to the FPR. Is really easy.
Old 14 August 2007, 06:21 PM
Mongo
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Starting to make a bit more sense. I thought I'd do it whilst the manifold is off the engine.

When adding the T's is it just a question of cutting a small quantity from each metal section of the rail.

Mr. Running, where can I get a rail adaptor from?
Old 14 August 2007, 06:39 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

carl davey sells the adaptors here Carls Scooby Site ver.2
Old 14 August 2007, 06:54 PM
Mongo
Scooby Regular

Top work mate
Old 14 August 2007, 07:05 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

i done mine it made a hell of a diffrents to the car as well as made if safer from melting the piston near the turbo, good luck with it mate
Old 14 August 2007, 08:30 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mongo
Cheers guys.

Starting to make a bit more sense. I thought I'd do it whilst the manifold is off the engine.

When adding the T's is it just a question of cutting a small quantity from each metal section of the rail.

Mr. Running, where can I get a rail adaptor from?
LOL @ 'Mr' Running ! What I've suggested is one way of doing it. The absolute best way of figuring it out is to actually remove your manifold and think it over. Once it's all off, the fuel system disconnected and you can see what's what, it will be much more obvious what to do. Suffice to say, a couple of decent 8mm OD t-pieces (or even better, Y-pieces) and a couple of metres of black fuel hose and you're there.

The fuel rail adapter can be had from Carl Davey, his website is Carls Scooby Site ver.2 - loads of interesting bits and bobs on there.

I actually run a much simpler system. I have the rail adapter in place of the standard regulator and so that rear corner of the o/s fuel rail is now simply a through pipe for fuel. Because of that I can take the two pipes on the nearside of the manifold and switch their rubber hoses round giving me a reversed fuel flow so it feeds through the new rail end adapter first (injector for #3 cylinder). From here it's trivial to plumb in any fuel pressure regulator you want, whether it's the original again, or an adjustable. I have a SARD on mine and it's doing the job very well.
Old 14 August 2007, 08:41 PM
Mongo
Scooby Regular

Who did you get the sard FPR off? Prices too? Also are they available with JIC fittings?

I have been thinking about modifying the fuel rails to take JIC fitings and then using braded lines throughout. Good idea?

Thanks for your help
Old 15 August 2007, 12:53 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

TSL do the job lot apparently for £160ish.. been thinking about getting this done myself.
TSL MOTORSPORT | Subaru Saab Mitsubishi | parts | repair | servicing | performance tuning | UK
Old 15 August 2007, 11:50 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

have a look at mocom racing's site, they do a kit that includes a Fuellabs regulator, 6AN fittings, converted fuel rails, braided lines and inline filter...
Old 16 August 2007, 09:07 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I got my SARD regulator (after being stitched up with a fake off ebay in 'Sheffield' which turned out to come direct from Malaysia) from a place called Temple Tuning. They were also on ebay but are actually a proper shop. What they sent me was 100% genuine and it's working brilliantly.
Old 16 August 2007, 10:16 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

We have all hose, fittings, regs etc in stock - modded ph1 and 1.5 rails also in stock but approx 2 week lead time on phase2 rails, can't seem to produce them quick enough