Notices

Air filter induction kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2007, 04:56 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter induction kit ?

I need to replace my induction kit as I currently have a pipercross foam filter but have been told these can break up and bits of foam can get sucked into the engine

What is the best kit to go for ? I've been told that Graham goode sells one that is good but it's nearly £300 !!
Old 05 August 2007, 06:48 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i 've got an Apexi one on my car (93wrx)
Old 06 August 2007, 07:48 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If you currently have an induction kit, why not measure the base circle diameter and just get a new filter to fit, much cheaper!

If foam did go into the engine its unlikley to do much damage! Pipercross is a reputable make and shouldn't cause a problem IMHO. However dust tests on the PX filters show its not actually very good as a filter and you can't oil a foam filter in a scoob without killing the MAF!

Simon
Old 06 August 2007, 09:25 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL I wish I had a quid for all the crazy stories I've heard on here about the evils of induction kits. You'd think they were the work of the devil. Although I've got to admit that's the craziest so far, that they break up and get sucked into the engine. Classic!

Anyway, everyone uses different filters for their Scoobs and they're all perfectly fine as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions. You pretty much can't go wrong if you buy a brand that you know, so no 'Simon Power' or 'MeshTuning' or any crap like that. K&N, Green, Apexi, they're all fine. Just pick how much you want to pay for the same thing, basically.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:12 AM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
LOL I wish I had a quid for all the crazy stories I've heard on here about the evils of induction kits. You'd think they were the work of the devil. Although I've got to admit that's the craziest so far, that they break up and get sucked into the engine. Classic!

Anyway, everyone uses different filters for their Scoobs and they're all perfectly fine as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions. You pretty much can't go wrong if you buy a brand that you know, so no 'Simon Power' or 'MeshTuning' or any crap like that. K&N, Green, Apexi, they're all fine. Just pick how much you want to pay for the same thing, basically.
True. I had a Pipercross Induction kit on my 94 turbo for over 3 years without *any* issues with it. Certainly didn't break up at all.
Old 06 August 2007, 10:35 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Exactly. The whole oil/MAF issue came about because people soaked the filter sponge in oil then were surprised when it came flying off and coated the MAF. If you lightly oil your filter element as it SHOULD be done, whether foam or cotton pleat, it's FINE! Thousands of other cars use MAF sensors the same as the Subaru, yet somehow ours is the delicate one that can only use 'dry' filters. What a load of bull**** IMHO.
Old 06 August 2007, 01:07 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Exactly. The whole oil/MAF issue came about because people soaked the filter sponge in oil then were surprised when it came flying off and coated the MAF. If you lightly oil your filter element as it SHOULD be done, whether foam or cotton pleat, it's FINE! Thousands of other cars use MAF sensors the same as the Subaru, yet somehow ours is the delicate one that can only use 'dry' filters. What a load of bull**** IMHO.
I think that the 97-00 ones were maybe a bit more suseptible than the earlier ones and a mix of 97+ owners and over oiling is where the story started.
Old 06 August 2007, 02:37 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive got an old stlye Greddy Airinx induction kit, pretty big compared to the ones made now.

its a dry type sponge type filtration.

you can still get these from the U.S.A, i paid £30 for 2 replacement elements and shipping !
Old 06 August 2007, 02:54 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainCam
I think that the 97-00 ones were maybe a bit more suseptible than the earlier ones and a mix of 97+ owners and over oiling is where the story started.
Could be. Although I've got a MY98/v4 one and it's never given me any trouble. I think it was the v5 and 6 that were supposed to be the fussy ones, although how that could be seeing as they're all exactly the same hot wire design in every one of thousands of cars that use a hot wire MAF...

It's like saying that a 1992-1995 lambda sensor for a Renault was more prone to failure than that from a 1999 Mercedes...they're all the bloody same!