Notices

Fitting an up-pipe, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 10:56 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fitting an up-pipe, please help!

Hi guys,
I'm after a bit of help on the best way to go about fitting my new up-pipe and decat down-pipe to my car (96 uk turbo).
I understand that the downpipe just connects to the centre pipe and the turbo, and that the best way to get to that is from underneath, is that correct?

Secondly the up-pipe, which two parts is this connected to and what is the best way of changing this over, from underneath or from the engine bay?

All comments helpful, thanks in advance
Old 03 August 2007, 11:17 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

up pipe is from headers to turbo.

remove downpipe, remove turbo, remove up pipe (easy without turbo in the way)
replace up pipe, replace turbo, replace downpipe

easy just have some 1/2" 14mm sockets handy and a couple of long extension bars and a hefty 14mm ring spanner.
Old 03 August 2007, 11:20 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the downpipe, I think from memory it is held on with 5 nuts on the turbo side most of these you get from the top and there maybe 2 that are best done from underneath with a long extension bar (been 3 years since I did mine though so details are a bit sketchy)

Have a look at

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

there used to be a guide on there for the downpipe.

As for the up pipe, I havent done this, however I imagine that that has to be tackled from underneath (especially where it is connected to the headers)

Best bet as well is to start soaking the nuts a few days before you start by using some kind of penetrating fluid or wd40
Old 03 August 2007, 01:05 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Not too bad a job, provided your bolts aren't rusted solid. Lots of WD40 is required.

There's 2 bolts by the centre section cat under the car and possibly one holding it to the gearbox (The new age downpipe from my WRX had this, but the prodrive cat i installed didn't).

There's also 5(ish) bolts that hold the downpipe to the turbo. They need to be removed with a 14mm socket. Definitely use six sided sockets as otherwise you'll probably ruint the bolts (And if possible, use the ones that don't drive the nut in the corners (Halfords sell a set of impact ones for 16.99 i think (8-17mm)).

The two bolts that hold the downpipe to the turbo at the bottom are a bit of a pain as you can't see them. I just placed the socket there by feeling for the bolt head etc and it seemed to work OK'ish.

The up-pipe connects to the turbo with a bunch of bolts also. From memory, there's three bolts that hold the turbo and two that actually hold the up-pipe in place (in bracket mounted to heads or whatever it is). The worst one IMO is the one that sits on the drivers side between the turbo and the intake. It's very cramped, especially if you have a bigger than standard turbo.

The headers attach to the up-pipe with two bolts which are readily accessible, however, you will not be able to get the downpipe out (at least this is true for new age cars) without either moving the turbo or jacking the engine up a bit (undo the right hand side engine mount). Not sure about classics, as there's no cat in the up-pipe.

After removing the bits, it's just the opposite to put them back of course. Andy F recommended using new gaskets on the up-pipe side but said that the downpipe side would probably be alright with the old gaskets (but this was on an 03, so YMMW).

I'm useless with car mods etc so you may do it a lot faster, but removing down pipe and fitting new headers took me about 8 hours in total.

One thing I'd recommend is getting new bolts and nuts, as the ones you get off will probably be past their sell by date by now. Probably makes the job a lot easier if you have to do it again at some point.