Notices

boost not reaching 1.2 bar only getting to 1.0 bar any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2007, 12:45 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost not reaching 1.2 bar only getting to 1.0 bar any suggestions?

i have a wagon 1995 import i had this chipped with supporting mods on a tdo4 when running this it only ran 1bar after someone read the chip he told me it was supposed to be running 1.2 bar i recently changed to a td04 and also bought a new chip this is supposed to run at 1.2 bar also but is only running 1 bar again so obviously there must be something wrong along the boost system ive made sure the wastegate is properly setup and cannot see it being a wastegate as it did it on the other turbo(two different wastegate actuators) also all the vacum pipes have been changed for silicone items bar the small piece from the turbo outlet nipple but from the reducer piece is silicone. im thinking along the lines of map sensor?! also have tested the boost soleniod by doing the connector plugs under the dash and it clicks away like mad and have cleaned it out also using electro cleaner whilst it was doing its test routine any help would be much appreciated thankyou very much chris
Old 27 July 2007, 03:02 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking more along the lines of the 'chip' itself. Some more details about who makes the 'chip', who fitted and tested it, what it's supposed to do. I'm no expert but I was under the impression that early classics can't be just 'chipped' like that. Mine for example (a MY98 WRX) uses a Power FC, a whole standalone ECU, because this and earlier models cannot simply have a chip stuck on them, to my knowledge.
Old 27 July 2007, 09:19 PM
gazskooby2006
Scooby Regular

ok you can just chip the pre 96 imprezas scott at polar performance does them cracking bloke knows his stuff, i had same problem i had to adjust the actuator a few turns so that the hole in the actuator arm half covers the pin so you just have to tug the arm to attach it and it solved my problem, you could try that.
Old 27 July 2007, 09:23 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

One would assume due to the fact you kept one small bit of pipe from the turbo nipple, that bit of small pipe has a small brass restrictor in it ? non!
Old 27 July 2007, 09:25 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

are you reading boost from the manifold or compressor out? pressure drop across the intercooler might account for the missing 0.2bar.
Old 28 July 2007, 03:07 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

im reading the boost from the manifold i will pull in the actuator some more today to see if thats the problem i cant see it though as its tight and sat flush now but worth a try.i will have a look to see if it has a brass restrictor when i do that i take it thats the piece that desizes the tubing to go to the smaller piping? should i remove this if its there or?
Old 28 July 2007, 03:39 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

It needs the resrtictor to create boost, removing it will make it worse.

It's not the piece of plastic that re sizes the two pipes no.
It's a small piece of brass shoved up inside the pipe, you should be able to see a small bulge in the pipe where it sits. make sure it's there by squeezing the pipe or looking down the end if you can get it straight enough.

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2007, 10:48 AM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the help will look for that restrictor today should be there as i have never removed anything like that from the car the only pipe i aint changed is the larger pipe from the outlet nipple then when it downsizes i have changed it to silicone pipe i take it the restrictor must be in that larger pipe.
Old 29 July 2007, 01:12 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

nope again, restrictor is in the small grey pipe not the large black one
Old 30 July 2007, 08:57 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

No pre96 car will run 1.2 bar if it is running the standard map sensor. It would need the later post 97 sensor and the ECU map rescaled accordingly.
Most remapped WRX Wagons run 1bar due to the smaller turbo.
My Wagon maps are mapped to 1.1bar but they genrally only only achieve 1bar with the off-shelf mapped solution. They can be mapped to 1.1bar and beyond (with post 97 map sensor) with the live mapping, but thats a bit more money.

The ECU map may have a target of 1.2bar but the duty needs to be set accordingly. If it were able to achieve 1.2bar it would also fuel cut as this is the limit (or there abouts) of the standard map sensor.

The car I mapped a few weeks back was fuel cutting at 1.19bar in 4th/5th at low rpm despite the fuelcut being set at 1.76bar. All due to the limitations of the standard map sesnor.

P.S The restrictor should be in the hose that comes out of the base of the boost control solenoid. It should be brass and have approx a 2mm hole drilled through it. If the restrictor isn't there it will overboost.
Post 97 cars have the restrictor in a different position and of a different size and work in reverse i.e smaller hole = more boost.

Last edited by Scott.T@PolarPerformance; 30 July 2007 at 09:05 PM.