Notices

boost solonoid clicking like mad

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 11:04 PM
nc4wb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost solonoid clicking like mad

hi there to you all i hav a 93 k,reg wrx import that dosent seam to boos alot. feals like it wants to go but dont. the boost solonoid under the bonnet just clicks away all the time non stop should it do this ? as my m8 has a uk scooby and his dont ? could this be the reason 4 not boosting real good ? also could i take it out and put a bleed valve in ? thanks.....
Old 22 July 2007, 11:54 PM
nc4wb
Scooby Regular

any help would be great ?????????
Old 23 July 2007, 12:23 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nc4wb
hi there to you all i hav a 93 k,reg wrx import that dosent seam to boos alot. feals like it wants to go but dont. the boost solonoid under the bonnet just clicks away all the time non stop should it do this ? as my m8 has a uk scooby and his dont ? could this be the reason 4 not boosting real good ? also could i take it out and put a bleed valve in ? thanks.....
how long have you owned this car for? if the answer is just bought it then did everything go ok pre purchase?

Are the plugs under the steering column connected which would put it in test mode..?

To point out, the boost solenoid should click anyway as that indicates its working.

stuffing a bleed valve in will cure the problem but its not a very good idea as it removes the safety feature built into the ecu which controls boost.

Try taking the boost solenoid off and cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Rob
Old 23 July 2007, 10:37 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
how long have you owned this car for? if the answer is just bought it then did everything go ok pre purchase?

Are the plugs under the steering column connected which would put it in test mode..?

To point out, the boost solenoid should click anyway as that indicates its working.

stuffing a bleed valve in will cure the problem but its not a very good idea as it removes the safety feature built into the ecu which controls boost.

Try taking the boost solenoid off and cleaning it with brake cleaner.

Rob
Yep, mine did this when I first bought it. The green and black connectors were both connected. The boost sol and electric fans were going all the time.

Should mention that this is part of an ECU reset and could be the reason why it has been left like that (by accident)
Old 23 July 2007, 06:25 PM
nc4wb
Scooby Regular

my fans also keep coming on and off all the time with the key in ? i know the boost sol is ment to click but mine is clicking non stop. i hav no ecu light on the dash ? and hav ahd the car bout 3 weeks now so just lerning about them. iv had all cosworths before and know my way round them but subarus are all new to me lol.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:27 PM
nc4wb
Scooby Regular

also what plug undre steering column ? thanks
Old 24 July 2007, 09:12 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

The 2 plugs are under the steering column and are only spade connector size but have a plastic shroud.

There should be 2 black and 2 green if I'm right.

These are used for diagnostics and ECU reset and will create the symptoms you are describing. Disconnect them if they are connected and see what happens.