Notices

I need instructions for cleaning the wastegate solenoid & a Reset Please

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 01:31 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Terzos not running to good at the mo so ive been told to clean the solenoid, but theres 1 problem , I dont know where it is.
Is it easy to do?? I hope so.

Also, I need to do an EcU reset, I've seen a few sites that explain
how to do it but I think this is aimed a peeps who know what they r looking for, Trust me I dont have froggy.

Can someone explain but not in joined up writing how to do these couple of things.

Thanks a LOT

SCOBY
Old 02 January 2002, 06:06 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Thanks WAH, anyone else know how to do this??

Cheers

SCOBY
Old 02 January 2002, 08:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I gather you need to apply 12 V to the solenoid to make it open or more eaily join the pairs of black and green connectors under the dash turn on (but do not crank the engine) to position 2 and then floor the throttle for a few seconds. The solenoid will then cycle. I would not leave the fluid in and then reconnect it as this solenoid's output goes to the air intake AFTER your filter and MAF sensor.... unless you want brake cleaner in your engine would advise you find out for certain what to do.
Old 02 January 2002, 08:11 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Hmm, thanks for the replies so far but now I really dont know what to do.

John, if I let it do its cycle what does this actually do and if I do this should this clean it out??

Cheers

SCOBY
Old 02 January 2002, 08:43 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

The brake cleaner is highly evaporative, so by the time you have connected it back together most will have evaporated.
Also do a search as there have been a number of posts regarding this topic. Nobody has noted any problems with there cars after doing this.
From my own experience I noticed a big difference. If you do a search the other people comments will reflect this. And I think this is carried out at the main dealers.

Stuart
Old 01 February 2002, 01:36 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member
If you find out where the soleniod is mate will you mail me the details, as for a reset have you checked out the instructions out on the MRT web site I used them and I'm new to this Scooby stuff as well

[Edited by wah - 1/2/2002 1:36:55 PM]
Old 01 February 2002, 06:33 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Scoby

The solenoid is mounted on the drivers side inner wing just before the front suspension strut top. It is the alluminium thing with 2 pipes coming from it (earlier models had 3 pipes i think). What I think you are supposed to do is take the two bolts off and remove it from its mounts, then pull the 2 pipes off and squirt brake cleaner (some people have also used carburettor cleaner) into it. dont worry about filling it up. Also squirt cleaner into the pipes aswell. Then put it back together. Then take it for a drive to flush it through.
I have tried it once and definitely noticed a difference.
I hope this makes sense.

Stuart

[Edited by Stuart Taylor - 1/2/2002 6:34:38 PM]
Old 01 February 2002, 08:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you let is cycle and disconnect tubing where you can and squirt the cleaner in and let it dry for a while after turning the cycle off it should do the trick. Then reassemble. But - I have not done this before - I am only speaking from knowledge of what the solenoid does and where it is connected to.

Alternatively buy a Dawes MBC and you don't need your solenoid and your boost problems could be solved.

John the Dawes evangelist.

Another thought - do you have boost gauge and is your boost misbehaving. If it is not it is not your solenoid.

[Edited by john banks - 1/2/2002 8:26:06 PM]