Notices

Scoob that doesnt like the wet ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 11:05 AM
fishfire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoob that doesnt like the wet ?

Hi all, hoping someone out there may be able to help me with this irritating problem

Basically my MY97 WRX does not like damp or wet conditions and will fire up then die and refuse to start again. In some cases it has taken up to an hour of trying before she will start.

If I catch it when she first fires up and physically hold the revs a 2k until it reaches opperating temp (86 degrees on mine) then its generally fine.

It doesnt happen if it just gets wet i.e after a wash, only if it has been raining during the night or its been damp.

I have found that if I give the engine bay a good dousing of WD40 in these conditions, 9 times out of 10, she will be fine.

This problem was made worse when I removed the blanking plates from the bonnet vents. Also when I got rid of the OE headers, if i drive through a deepish puddle it will also have a splutter, and has on occasion conked out mid puddle. I am assuming the head shielding on the OE headers may have prevented some splash back, before I replaced them?

I have changed the HT leads to Magnacore ones to see if that was the problem, and also changed the plugs (Gapped to 0.6mm)

I thought maybe the O2 sensor so tried running closed loop ecu map, but made no difference.

When I turn it over when it is refusing to start, I can smell the fuel going through, but it just wont fire up unless I give it the WD40 treatment.

I have lived with this problem pretty much since I've had the car (2 1/2 yrs) and would like to sort it out!
Most especially if I want to sell it " yeah mate, when it gets wet get out your can of WD40......" doesnt sound good to a potential buyer !

engine bay mods are:

Apexi PFC
HKS Mushroom filter
XS-Power exhaust headers and up-pipe
740cc injectors
FMIC
VTA BOV
Samco air intake pipe
MD191 turbo
Air con removed

Short of replacing every sensor/conector in the engine bay, Im not sure where to go from here?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Last edited by fishfire; 20 July 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 20 July 2007, 11:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has it always been that way on the PFC? ie. has the cold start been set up right?

Simon
Old 20 July 2007, 05:41 PM
fishfire
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon

I think the cold start is ok as it starts and idle's form cold, no probs if its very cold.

Its only if it has been raining or has been damp.

I have doused the engine bay in WD40 recently so will be fine till it wears off, and the whole process starts again

The worst it got was when I went to Lens (Subaru4u) in Newbury. On the way back it pelted down with storm like proportions, and whilst overtaking an HGV it just spluttered and died. Drifted to the hard shoulder and it took a good dousing of WD40 and about 15 mins to get her going again

Would a MAF that is being shorted by wet conditions do this? My knock readings are never especially high when this happens either.

Any ideas?
Old 20 July 2007, 05:56 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

It could be moisture getting to the maf. Mines will fuel cut if I go full throttle under similar conditions because maf voltage maxes out. Other than that it runs fine.
Old 21 July 2007, 08:24 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billsandhu
It could be moisture getting to the maf. Mines will fuel cut if I go full throttle under similar conditions because maf voltage maxes out. Other than that it runs fine.

Yup, I've had this too. Do you have the blanking plates fitted under your vents? I took mine off and the first time I left the car out in the rain I had a very similar problem. Pu them back on and not had a problem since.
Old 21 July 2007, 09:35 AM
Paul JC
Scooby Regular

this sounds like a hairline crack in the dizzy cap. do they have these??
Old 22 July 2007, 12:36 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

no dizzy cap.. lol

if the maf is able to see water it will read higher volume of air than there is entering the engine and the car will go hellishly rich and cause running problems.. if you have a miniscoop or no blanking plates or a good cold air feed it could be related..

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2007, 09:12 AM
fishfire
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help so far gents

Simon,
Blanking plates are back on (have been for a while now) and no mini scoop. My wideband moniter shows it getting leaner just as it starts stalling.

Also considered sealing the little drain holes on the blanking plates too ?
Old 22 July 2007, 09:46 AM
jonny81
Scooby Regular

I had this problem on my old uk turbo, even with the blanking plates on there is still a hole in them that drips directly on your induction kit. Feel it next time its raining outside, it will probs be soaked.

Try blanking the hole off or alternatively put the airbox back on and see how it runs.

Hopefully it will be the same problem for you & not something more awkward
Old 22 July 2007, 01:12 PM
fishfire
Scooby Regular

cheers for that

I will plug the holes and see what happens