Speed Camera Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 12:27 PM
DippaGX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera Detectors

Hi,

Anyone use a device to indicate where speed cameras are? and recommendations please?

Basically, intend to get one after getting flashed (by a camere lol), heard that Road Angel is a good one, anyone use them here?

Thanks
Dips
Old 16 July 2007, 12:51 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

hi, i use a road angel compact,very good informs you in plenty of time,dont bother with laser add on it picks up all sorts of things,you are forever braking,just keep your eyes peeled for lasers.jim.
Old 16 July 2007, 01:59 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Don't get a 'detector' as they will be made illegal in the new road saefty bill and they aren't very effective against laser.

What you need is a GPS locator (for now) such as a road angle or one of the chepaer ones on the market, or as an add on to another GPS device such as a Garmin or Tom tom sat nav.

However a word of waring, the gov't is running another 'pilot scheme' with a view to removing the restrictions on placement, I think Scumbria's finest have already started, and this will mean either the locations are out of date very quickly or that there will be continous warnings you will end up ignoring!

Simon
Old 16 July 2007, 03:56 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Agree with above that if you have to have one then go for Road angel.
Not used one myself but have heard very good things about them.
Had a Snooper S6-R some while back and it was quite crap to be honest so can't really recommend Snooper .
Got a Navman GPS satnav system for the missus and that locates the fixed cameras ( specs ) if regularly updated, why not consider something like that ?.

Mark.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:21 PM
Skrikin
Scooby Newbie

Go for a road angel mate i've got one and let me know a few times, never missed a fixed camera. The laser detector is hit and miss it will pick up the laser gun (assuming they've pressed the trigger) but if it you they've pointed it at you it's too late anyway as they've already got ya speed. It will pick up scatter from pointing at other people that'll let you know before it's your turn..
Have a look at the Road Angel website Laser detectors are not being made illegal (it's on the road angel website)
the bill was to investigate and ban mainly laser jammers which were obviously dodgy anything that just detects and doen't give off a signal was ok... Think theres something about the radar ones as they give off a signal to recieve one so think like laser jammers they are also under this new bill.
Old 16 July 2007, 09:24 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DippaGX
Hi,

Anyone use a device to indicate where speed cameras are? and recommendations please?

Basically, intend to get one after getting flashed (by a camere lol), heard that Road Angel is a good one, anyone use them here?

Thanks
Dips
I use a Snooper S4 which I find to be VG. Think they are now the Snooper Evolution - worth a look.
Old 17 July 2007, 09:36 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

I have a Talex Lite which has been the Auto Express 'best buy' for the last two years. It costs £90 from Talex and £60 from Aldi but I got mine at an Aldi promotion for £40 It seems to work very well and doesn't have a laser detector which will be illegal this year anyway.
Old 18 July 2007, 11:53 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Origin B2 is excellent: it is compact with a discreet dash holder. Got all the cameras and camera sites. The bonus is a good sized digital speedo which is accurate and can easily be put in your line of sight on the top of the dash by the A pillar so you don't have to keep looking down at the car's speedo. It's also easy to slip into your pocket - not with your keys or loose change mind! [I bought a small leather slip to protect it] - when you leave the motor.