Notices

Dump Valve Saga??????

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2007, 07:31 AM
morphy41
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dump Valve Saga??????

I have read a few posts on here about dump valves and what kind etc also a few mixed opinions about them
ye some peolpe like them and others don,t( Everyone to there own) I was thinking of putting one on my 03 sti (Just had a silly moment) but decided not to as i have looked into them and to be honest i think you would get fed up with a WHOOOSSHH, and POP all the time.Here is a quote from FORGE

( While we have incorporated many elements into the design of the Dual-Piston valves to aid in their compatibility with mass air-flow sensor equipped vehicles, we cannot always guarantee that each individual’s application will be compatible with a valve that vents the charge air into the atmosphere.

Forge Motorsport nor any of it’s Authorised Distributors can assume any responsibility for any adverse effects resulting from the installation of this valve onto a vehicle whose engine-management-system, whether factory or aftermarket, is not capable of compensating for the loss of metered air through a vent-to-atmosphere valve such as this.)

My car has ppp on her and lets face it overfueling means you will destroy cats (If you have them fitted) and i have prodrive cats on my car and would not like the bill to change them out just for a whoosshh every time £££££££

In my opinion if it was better for the car and helped any, why do prodrive not fit them as theses guys know what they are doing and have set the car up exactly how it should be run
Does anyone agree
Old 14 July 2007, 09:58 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the turbosmart dual port. It acts as a recirc at lower revs and speeds and then VTAs when pushing it. Should iron out the problems with fuel and also the noise. I am looking at buying this for MY03 Sti ppp as I dont want the noise all the time and also feel it will be better. I had a VTA Forge on my classic with a full decat and it got quite annoying all the time, but I do miss it when pressing on.
Old 14 July 2007, 11:04 AM
morphy41
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
Have a look at the turbosmart dual port. It acts as a recirc at lower revs and speeds and then VTAs when pushing it. Should iron out the problems with fuel and also the noise. I am looking at buying this for MY03 Sti ppp as I dont want the noise all the time and also feel it will be better. I had a VTA Forge on my classic with a full decat and it got quite annoying all the time, but I do miss it when pressing on.
Mine is a 53 sti ppp aswell mate
I will check it out and let me know how you get on

Last edited by morphy41; 14 July 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 15 July 2007, 09:40 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes overfuelling due to VTA dump valves will contaminate your cat(s). It's utterly pointless. If you want to hear a noise every time you change gear, which let's face it, is the only reason why you would get rid of the really well-designed OE dump valve, then get a Forge recirculating job. You get a nice 'clashing swords' kind of kerching noise every time it dumps but it still does its job without venting out.
Old 15 July 2007, 10:11 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I have a VTA just to scare young children as you go past them
Old 15 July 2007, 12:44 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morphy41
I have read a few posts on here about dump valves and what kind etc also a few mixed opinions about them
ye some peolpe like them and others don,t( Everyone to there own) I was thinking of putting one on my 03 sti (Just had a silly moment) but decided not to as i have looked into them and to be honest i think you would get fed up with a WHOOOSSHH, and POP all the time.Here is a quote from FORGE

( While we have incorporated many elements into the design of the Dual-Piston valves to aid in their compatibility with mass air-flow sensor equipped vehicles, we cannot always guarantee that each individual’s application will be compatible with a valve that vents the charge air into the atmosphere.

Forge Motorsport nor any of it’s Authorised Distributors can assume any responsibility for any adverse effects resulting from the installation of this valve onto a vehicle whose engine-management-system, whether factory or aftermarket, is not capable of compensating for the loss of metered air through a vent-to-atmosphere valve such as this.)

My car has ppp on her and lets face it overfueling means you will destroy cats (If you have them fitted) and i have prodrive cats on my car and would not like the bill to change them out just for a whoosshh every time £££££££

In my opinion if it was better for the car and helped any, why do prodrive not fit them as theses guys know what they are doing and have set the car up exactly how it should be run
Does anyone agree

Common sense prevails

If people wanted the noise with the factory recirculating type, all they need to do is remove the resonator housing insise the driver-side innner wing, or fit a cone filter (which leads us on to the cone filter adversly affecting the MAF sensor saga ).
Old 15 July 2007, 07:24 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Common sense prevails

or fit a cone filter (which leads us on to the cone filter adversly affecting the MAF sensor saga ).
i heard that but not stopped me using one just yet
Old 15 July 2007, 11:30 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Common sense prevails

If people wanted the noise with the factory recirculating type, all they need to do is remove the resonator housing insise the driver-side innner wing, or fit a cone filter (which leads us on to the cone filter adversly affecting the MAF sensor saga ).
What kind of noise does it make? I took mine off the other day and tbh I think the BOV does sound louder but that could be my imagination1

Removing the black box thingy doesn't do it any harm does it?

Damien
Old 15 July 2007, 11:31 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Also thinking of one of these myself for 53 STi. Groupbuy?

Lee
Old 17 July 2007, 07:46 AM
morphy41
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by codie247
Also thinking of one of these myself for 53 STi. Groupbuy?

Lee
I am just going to leave mine standard guy
Cheers
Ian

Last edited by morphy41; 17 July 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 17 July 2007, 07:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Ran my 02 STI with a Forge VTA for 2 years, no problems except it smelt a bit rich (from behind !). No cat problems, TSL catted down-pipe and system.... All fine till FMIC added for re-map !

Then all manner of problems with the Forge, even a spring kit (softest fitted) didn't help, so back to standard now ! !! TBH still think the map needs a tweek, for some equal length headers, LOL.
Old 17 July 2007, 08:09 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

i run a turbosmart supersonic on my 93 wrx. cant fault it. id say its the best behaiving bov available if you want a loud one. and yes you need to be using mild boost for it to open