Notices

Couple of little nagging noises....

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2007, 08:53 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of little nagging noises....

I have a couple of little noises on my MY99 Uk Turbo which annoy me, so I would like to get them sorted. Im not sure; but dont think any of them are massively urgent. However, I will get them sorted for piece of mind.

The first is a very strange metallic tapping as you select 2nd gear on the downchange. It only really does this once it has warmed up; but if your out on a good run, it will stop after a bit. Occasionally, you can actually feel it through the gearknob, as you select 2nd, which worries me a bit!

The second sounds exhaust related, and is actually a very similar sound to the first (above), only it does it on idle. Its a heat shieldy type rattle, and you can hear it on idle, as you rev it, and also when you pull off very low down in the rev range in most gears.

To be honest, the above two things could be from the same thing, as they do sound very similar and both seem to come from down underneath the car/engine area.

The third is the least of my worries! It is a knocking sound, which is coming from the rear. Sounds like its from the boot, and it does it going over speed bumps, etc. Could this be the spare moving about??

Any information for either of these (preferably the first two!) would be greatly recieved.

Cheers
Old 12 July 2007, 08:55 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

BTW, the car has a short shift linkage, if that's of any relevance to the noises?
Old 12 July 2007, 02:22 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 12 July 2007, 03:23 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

You're not driving my car are you ..

I have exactly the same combination of noises. I assumed the tinny rattling (which is actually quite musical - as rattly car noises go) was a heat shield and that the clunking from the back was the rear suspension, which as the newage STi struts are known to develop a knock after about 2 miles of fitting then lol.

To check if it's exhaust catching anywhere give it a waggle (when cold !!!) and work out where it could catch, usually the read diff. Paint some tipex onto the likely contact point, or stick a piece of blu-tac on etc, drive over some speedbumps and if it's catching you will be able to see the tipex will be chipped/marked, blu-tac squished etc
Old 12 July 2007, 04:58 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I was thinking it must be a heat shield; but the fact that it virtually does the same thing on the downchange to 2nd makes me think it may be something else. But what?!

The knocking at the back is definetly not the exhaust catching, it sounds more like something in the boot! It could be something related to the rear suspension though yeah, but mine is a classic. I presume your is a newage?? Strange though, as it has literally just flown through an MOT last week, so cant be anything too much.

Cheers
Old 13 July 2007, 09:54 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Can anyone shed any light on this??
Old 13 July 2007, 10:03 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a similar rattle on my classic,it was the lower heatshield(next to oilfilter)when i took the bolts out,found one of the welded nuts on the connecting heatshied was cracked and broken off.I just got a big washer on it and tightened it up,,anoying noise has gone!!!
Old 13 July 2007, 05:41 PM
classicscoob
Scooby Regular

Stevo,i have a MY99 classic and i get that noise from the back aswell,ive tightened the spare wheel carriage and checked all my suspension,its very suttle in mine but its there.Funny thing is my MY95 classic did it too,but slightly louder,never got to the bottom of that either!