Notices

Uprated Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2007, 04:38 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated Fuel Pumps

Was talking to the guy who serviced my Scoob today and reckoned with an uprated fuel pump, it would benefit the turbo.

I have a VF28 Turbo, which fuel pump would you go for and, what difference would I notice?

Thanbks all.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 06 July 2007, 05:13 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I've just had a walbro uprated fuel pump installed today. Only had mine fitted for when remap the car.
Old 06 July 2007, 05:19 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the walbro. You won't necessarily notice a difference but will certainly need it for safety if you are looking to get the benefit from the bigger turbo. Could do with some Sti pinkie injectors too to get the benefit of the turbo and of course appropriate mapping.
Old 06 July 2007, 09:39 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

So it's the Walbro is the one then?

What does it actually do?

And what improvements does it deliver?

The reason I ask is as I said, the the guy who did my servicing today said it would help the Turbo I have.

Thanks.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 06 July 2007, 10:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, lets get this straight ...................

We are talking about an 'uprated' fuel pump here, are we? - you know, the thing that pumps the fuel to the injectors and maintains pressure.

The Injectors open for a period set by the ECU, given all the Inputs it receives, therefore ....... by simple logic - an uprated pump CANNOT make one bit of difference!!

Another ScoobyNet myth Glad I caught it before too many gullibles wasted good money on bad advice!!

And as for 'helping the turbo' ..... helping the Turbo do what, exactly??? PMSL
Old 06 July 2007, 10:56 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

We are talking about an 'uprated' fuel pump here, are we? - you know, the thing that pumps the fuel to the injectors and maintains pressure.

The Injectors open for a period set by the ECU, given all the Inputs it receives, therefore ....... by simple logic - an uprated pump CANNOT make one bit of difference!!

Another ScoobyNet myth Glad I caught it before too many gullibles wasted good money on bad advice!!

Can anyone enlighten us?
Old 07 July 2007, 12:02 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

So Prodrive just put it in with the PPP for effect?
Old 07 July 2007, 12:17 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Instead of getting rid of the 'search' button and asking people to pay a fiver to be able to use it,webmaster should ask how many people will pay a fiver to get rid of this idiot PERMANENTLY !
Old 07 July 2007, 12:23 AM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

Old 07 July 2007, 12:27 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm being ABSOLUTELY serious!!

What does an uprated Fuel Pump improve?? And How does it do it??

340BHP-WRX .... Instead of asking for my head - just answer the simple question!!

Fact 1 - the Injectors open for a set period, this period is set by the ECU, what possible difference could the Fuel Pump make to this??

I am GENUINELY interested if there is a reason - I just cannot understand it at this point in time and I am an Engineer.
Old 07 July 2007, 12:31 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

What does an uprated Fuel Pump improve??

340BHP-WRX .... Instead of asking for my head - just answer the question!!

Fact 1 - the Injectors open for a set period, this period is set by the ECU, what possible difference could the Fuel Pump make to this??

I am GENUINELY interested if there is a reason - I just cannot understand it at this point in time and I am an Engineer.
Why not ask the question then before jumping in on the thread and branding it as a 'myth' ?

I cannot tell you exactly how it works other than it supplies more fuel per hour which you need if you have larger injectors etc.

The standard fuel pump will not flow enough fuel per hour for a modified car basically.
Old 07 July 2007, 12:33 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

What does an uprated Fuel Pump improve?? And How does it do it??

340BHP-WRX .... Instead of asking for my head - just answer the simple question!!

hi mate i have spoken to zen today about just having a remap and decat done on an 03 sti and told me i would need an uprated fuel pump,wheres my mate has got an 03 wrx with the same mods and a remap at powerstation and they told him he didnt need to so i thinks its just down to the mapper just my thoughts anyway
Old 07 July 2007, 12:37 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
So Prodrive just put it in with the PPP for effect?
The PPP includes:-

Recalibrated engine management system
High flow intercooler hose
Stainless steel sports exhaust silencer

NOT, as far as I can see, a Fuel Pump ...................... so, your point being??
Old 07 July 2007, 12:44 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
Why not ask the question then before jumping in on the thread and branding it as a 'myth' ?

I cannot tell you exactly how it works other than it supplies more fuel per hour which you need if you have larger injectors etc.

The standard fuel pump will not flow enough fuel per hour for a modified car basically.
Starts to make 'some' sense - fitting larger bore injectors is quite a major modification. The difference in bore size cannot be big, what are we talking? 5% Max?

It asks a lot to believe that the original pump cannot supply fuel to satisfy such a minor increase in bore diameter .... in fact, I don't believe that a standard pump cannot manage the flow required.

What are the sizes of the bore on a Standard Injector verses the Injectors you are talking about?
Old 07 July 2007, 12:50 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Starts to make 'some' sense - fitting larger bore injectors is quite a major modification. The difference in bore size cannot be big, what are we talking? 5% Max?

It asks a lot to believe that the original pump cannot supply fuel to satisfy such a minor increase in bore diameter .... in fact, I don't believe that a standard pump cannot manage the flow required.

What are the sizes of the bore on a Standard Injector verses the Injectors you are talking about?
I couldn't tell you what the difference in bore size is !

I can promise you that a standard pump won't supply enough fuel that will be required when running around 350-400bhp.

I'm sure someone on here can explain all the specific details better than I can !
Old 07 July 2007, 12:55 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

is it more about regulating the fuel more than about how much it can flow and guessin a bigger pump can produce better pressure plus i imagine an uprated pump is cheaper than a regulator
Old 07 July 2007, 12:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I couldn't tell you what the difference in bore size is !

I can promise you that a standard pump won't supply enough fuel that will be required when running around 350-400bhp.

I'm sure someone on here can explain all the specific details better than I can !
Thanks for trying ....

Can you understand my dilema? The Standard Fuel Pump is capable of supplying more than it actually needs to, thats just how it is - Designers have a factor of safety to work with.

I simply cannot imagine any road car requiring so much fuel that the supplied pump cannot manage.

You have an uprated pump because you were told you needed one, you don't actually understand why you bought one - which leaves you open to getting the contents of your wallet lifted
Old 07 July 2007, 01:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
is it more about regulating the fuel more than about how much it can flow and guessin a bigger pump can produce better pressure plus i imagine an uprated pump is cheaper than a regulator
The Uprated Fuel Pumps are sold to be used with the standard Regulator on all our cars.
Old 07 July 2007, 01:15 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

cool mate just ordered mine anyway scooby world doin a deal on them at the moment if your interested in one lol lol lol
Old 07 July 2007, 01:16 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Walbro statement:-

"Walbro uprated fuel pump

If you are upping your boost or modifying your engine, the chances are you are putting more strain on your already fairly old and tired fuel pump.

If the old pump is not up to the job of delivering enough fuel, you risk running lean and that's when detonation can occur.....

These pumps are a great cost effective replacement for the standard units and are well up to the job of delivering the increased flow of fuel needed for a highly tuned engine

No need for remapping after fitting as the fuel pressure regulator will make sure the flow is correct for your car.

Fuel pumps won't give any performance increase on their own, but they mean that your fuel system is upgraded to cope with increased boost, larger injectors and any other mods you might have in mind"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:- the chances are you are putting more strain on your already fairly old and tired fuel pump ............. Chances? fairly old? Tired?

Note:- If the old pump is not up to the job of delivering enough fuel .... IF?

Nah, it's all marketing hype .......... sorry to pop your bubbles!

Last edited by pslewis; 07 July 2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07 July 2007, 01:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
cool mate just ordered mine anyway scooby world doin a deal on them at the moment if your interested in one lol lol lol
Do I look stupid??

Ha Ha - marketing hype NEVER gets me .... I work with hard evidence and there isn't one bit to support the use of uprated fuel pumps.

But I hope you have a happy life together
Old 07 July 2007, 01:21 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

proper mate laughing my **** off
Old 07 July 2007, 01:22 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Old 07 July 2007, 01:22 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Do I look stupid?? must i really answer that one lol lol
Old 07 July 2007, 08:52 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Do I look stupid??

Ha Ha - marketing hype NEVER gets me .... I work with hard evidence and there isn't one bit to support the use of uprated fuel pumps.

But I hope you have a happy life together
You don't listen to what anybody says so why bother asking questions
Old 07 July 2007, 09:23 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The PPP includes:-

Recalibrated engine management system
High flow intercooler hose
Stainless steel sports exhaust silencer

NOT, as far as I can see, a Fuel Pump ...................... so, your point being??
My point being you don't know what you are talking about. Read what you get in the PPP - http://195.212.11.58/imggb/www/subaru_accessories.nsf/NULL/9A189478360FA98C8025728F004DF270/$FILE/SACC2632%202007%20STi%20PPP.pdf
Old 07 July 2007, 09:32 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
My point being you don't know what you are talking about. Read what you get in the PPP - http://195.212.11.58/imggb/www/subaru_accessories.nsf/NULL/9A189478360FA98C8025728F004DF270/$FILE/SACC2632%202007%20STi%20PPP.pdf
We all know he doesn't know what he's talking about-he's just doing it to wind people up !
Old 07 July 2007, 09:37 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with pslewis to a point, manufacturers do have to make the fuel pumps with a margin for extra flow just incase it is needed, how much i do not know

Im surprised someone hasn't posted up the flow rate of a standard fuel pump at say 3bar that way you could easily calculate if it's up to the job
Old 07 July 2007, 11:20 AM
angry1
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Lewis hes right about the fuel pump being spec'ed enough by a margin of error and im also an engineer.....340- you have brought nothing to the table except to slag Lewis off when he has given evidence and obviously has an engineering background.....you have only given I DONT KNOW ANSWERS............. keep the info going lewis.....PS i have an upgraded pump but it was on when i bought it so i win both ways LOL
Old 07 July 2007, 12:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

With the increased need for fuel brought on by modifications such as a bigger turbo, why run the risk of running lean and blowing your expensive engine to pieces?

You may not need it, may not notice any difference in having it but you would notice IF your engine went "pop".

It's another one of those things that may not show any benefit or immediate return on purchase, but you will thank your investment if it does start to go pear-shaped.

Another such item is a Knocklink or perhaps a boost guage or any other preventative measures such as replacing the MAF regularly on an MY99 UK Turbo.

Not necessary all the time, but the question is - do you feel lucky?

PSL certainly does

Quick Reply: Uprated Fuel Pumps