Changing coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2007, 03:01 PM
Evs07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing coil packs

Hi there,

Could someone give me a brief run down on the time and effort involved if I want to change all four coil packs on my 1995 Turbo Wagon myself?
I've found the best price for all 4 is 'AIP Impreza', coming in at £235 including VAT and P&P.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can throw a little bit of advice my way!
Chris
Old 06 July 2007, 03:12 PM
qckev
Scooby Regular

hi mate stip away your air box on on side if got one, and the other side take off your batt. and water bottle. it would help if you have got bendy type socket. just be carefull when putting new ones on dont force them in as it could damage them and be carefull when you tightn them up
Old 06 July 2007, 03:18 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this about 2 months ago having never even attempted anything like it before. Its a doddle, your paying too much for them for a start, you can get them for £200 delivered from here:
JPS Motorsport - Performance Tuning and Servicing

phone them and ask for a set of impreza coil packs, £200 delivered and they arrived next working day with me.

As for fitting it can be a little tricky to get to them but they are all accesable with a fairly standard set of spanners. Its probably worth changing the plugs while your there as they are very easy too.

I have a FMIC fitted so have an induction kit which I needed to remove, if you have the standard airbox then this will need to be removed to get to the coild packs. on the other side the battery has to come out, and possibly the window washer resevoir as well. They should pop out very easily when you unbolt them with a little wiggle. Was a bit of a pain to disconnect the wires on the old ones as they were cable tied but I just cut the cable ties very carefully and then they were a breeze. If your doing the plugs then you may need an adjustable end on of a socket as its a bit tight to get the plug spanner in otherwise.

When you put the new packs in make sure they line up properly with the end of the plug, if they are lined up they slip straight on, if not you'll be sat there with the pack not fitting correctly and wondering why - they will not need forcing when lined up they slip on with just a small push.

I think about 2 hours will see all 4 on, maybe add another 30 minutes if your doing the plugs as well, 4 hours max for a complete novice who is ultra careful.
Old 06 July 2007, 03:20 PM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

JPS motorsport £200 all in
Old 06 July 2007, 03:30 PM
Evs07
Scooby Newbie

Great stuff! I'll give JPS a call then!
Many thanks to all!
Old 06 July 2007, 03:42 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Just a tip, if you have not had the plugs done find out if they are due and do them at the same time, else you may be doing the job twice!! Did the plugs and coils on my UK car on its first service (had a misfire in the damp) you can change them without removing the battery, just makes it a bit tighter to access that bank of plugs.Air filter assembly and maf out one side and washer bottle on the other. If I recall right the bolt for the coils needs a 14 MM spanner,and the spark plugs are awkward to remove as there is not a great deal of space between the engine and the inner wing/chassis. I loosened the plugs with a short extension bar and plug socket, then had to removed the ratchet from the end of the extension and turned the plugs out with by turning the extension bar by hand. If you do the plugs then make sure to get the correct ones (sorry cannot recall what they were, but I remember the were long life ones, possibly platinum) and check the gap before fitting them, 0.7 MM springs to mind. Took me about 2 Hours to do the plugs and coils, but I did take my time on a Scooby and it is not that bad a job to do, just a bit back breaking and as you are lent over and they are lower down then on most cars.... PS if you have never done plugs on a car before remember to start them off when refitting by hand, if you use a ratchet to start them off it is quite easy to cross thread them as they are a fine thread.........
Old 06 July 2007, 06:48 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners
If I recall right the bolt for the coils needs a 14 MM spanner
Nope - it's 12mm. Had mine off to change the plugs a couple of weeks ago.