Notices

is my boost solenoid faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 12:13 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my boost solenoid faulty?

I have been having problems with my 2001 bugeye not seeming to accelerate properly and quite hesitant as per my previous posts.

I have got it booked in at prosport for 9th July but prior to that I wanted to do the normal checks.

After reading on here about cleaning the boost solenoid I thought I'd give it a go and found that it doesn't seem to be clicking at all. It doesn't click when I connect the 2 green plugs together or when it is idling as normal or when I rev the car.

Does that mean that it is completely stuck and if so can you open them up or is it a replacement?

Thanks
Old 29 June 2007, 02:53 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the engine not running switch the ignition on and off does it click, you will hear it.
Old 29 June 2007, 04:39 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evander
With the engine not running switch the ignition on and off does it click, you will hear it.

Just tried this, no clicking. I take it thats bad!

How much are these solenoids to buy?
Old 29 June 2007, 07:00 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Not sure but Ive seen them for £50 second hand.
Old 29 June 2007, 07:14 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid about £30 for mine, I've fitted it this afternoon, but if it doesn't give me more boost I can only assume it's the waste-gate or turbo. If there's no improvement I can safely assume my original one was fine and I can let you have it for what I paid for mine, but let me test the car first and see if that was to blame. I'll be out in it over the weekend sometime.
Old 29 June 2007, 07:20 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Things are getting a bit weird now.

I have measured the voltage coming from the plug that connects to the solenoid and ther is about 12-14v but when I connect it to the solenoid nothing happens.
However if I run a wire from the battery to the solenoid it engages, I can here it clicking when I connect diconnect the wire.

couple of things,

1st, any body any ideas why this would happen?

2nd, should the voltage going to the plug go on and of to activate/deactivate the solenoid (i'm only going of measuring it at idle but it stays on all the time)

I'm really tearing my hair out here, I want to feel the real power of a scoob!
Old 29 June 2007, 07:26 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

I asked the questiuon ages ago when I cleaned mine on the bugeye.. mine doesn't click either when the plugs are connected... but is working perfectly...
Old 29 June 2007, 07:27 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by karllap
Things are getting a bit weird now.

I have measured the voltage coming from the plug that connects to the solenoid and ther is about 12-14v but when I connect it to the solenoid nothing happens.
However if I run a wire from the battery to the solenoid it engages, I can here it clicking when I connect diconnect the wire.

couple of things,

1st, any body any ideas why this would happen?

2nd, should the voltage going to the plug go on and of to activate/deactivate the solenoid (i'm only going of measuring it at idle but it stays on all the time)

I'm really tearing my hair out here, I want to feel the real power of a scoob!
I wouldn't expect the solenoid to operate unless the car is being driven. As I understand it the ECU is mapped not to boost unless it is being driven to protect the engine (as I prepare to be shot down). I expect what is happening is the voltage is being used to close the solenoid, which is what I would expect from how I understand solenoids work. Then as boost is required the solenoid will begin to close as the voltage drops and that will allow boost to build.

Must admit I'd not have though of applying a voltage to test the boost solenoid, even though I've done it to test door solenoids in the past, well done you, I'm off out to the garage.
Old 29 June 2007, 07:41 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Just tested both of my solenoids, both working fine.

Sounds like you have a similar problem to me. Are you making any boost at all? I make up to about 0.58 bar, pulling about 0.51 bar by 3000rpm. If I drive at about about 2500rpm, ie boost just starting to come in, it seems to rock (that's the best way I can describe it) but when it pulls it seems to pull like a steam train. My sister's boyfriends doesn't feel any different and as far as he knows his is running fine. I am suspecting the spring in the wastegate, so time for a bigger turbo and a re-map to suit
Old 29 June 2007, 08:37 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Mine sounds a bit different. Its really sluggish uptill about 3k when the turbo kicks in but even then it doesn't pull like I think it should the when it gets to about 41/2 k revs it flatens out again and even though it revs higher doesn't really seem to pull.

I've just took it for a quick spin with the boost solenoid off and it drives exactly the same so it defo looks like the problem is there.

Just got to find now if its the solenoid or something not right before it.
Old 29 June 2007, 08:48 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Have you got a boost gauge? I'm guessing not but I'll ask anyway. Whereabouts are you? If your local I could connect my PSI3 up to your diagnostics port and see what boost readings you're getting. It would give you a better idea of what is going on.

Is it standard?
Old 29 June 2007, 09:00 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Have you got a boost gauge? I'm guessing not but I'll ask anyway. Whereabouts are you? If your local I could connect my PSI3 up to your diagnostics port and see what boost readings you're getting. It would give you a better idea of what is going on.

Is it standard?

No boost gauge I'm afraid, the car is totally standard except for a baily dump valve and I live in the North West near Warrington.

Thanks for the offer by the way, its really good knowing there are people on this forum prepared to go out of their way and help each other out.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:19 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Bit too far to pop around I'm afraid, it's about 3 hours away, my folks live in the wirral so I know the journey well.

Do you have a standard dump valve. From what I have heard the bailey ones aren't the best you can get, and if it's sticking it could leak boost. See if you can't get it off and clean it. If it needs lubing, a light smearing of engine oil should do it.
Old 30 June 2007, 01:06 PM
lady_scooby
Scooby Regular

the boost solenoid has just started to go on our car we had the baileys dump valve and we changed it to a hks as being told the baileys dont work right with the car and having the hks dump valve we noticed a diff but lucky my bfs bro got his own garage and told us straight away whats wrong with the car! there is a way of cleaning it and sometimes that does help but i kno for a fact my bf just wants to spend more money on the car but i would think bout cleaing it b4 u think bout changing as u could spend money for no reason if it just needs a clean
Old 30 June 2007, 02:25 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Just tested my car and it was the boost solenoid. Took it out and went to boot it only to spot a marked copper who decided to let me past and then follow me down the A1

Once he left, put my foot down and hey presto 1 bar , and **** me what a difference it makes, especially on take-off. I didn't realise 0.5bar would make so much difference.

Hope you have some look with yours mate.
Old 30 June 2007, 03:36 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

Its defo looking like its the boost solenoid. I've put mine on my mates car and still no clicking.

I've managed to source one for £25 but I can't get it till Monday and I'm chomping at the bit to get my car going like it should so

Has anybody in the northwest area got a boost solenoid that they want to sell and I'll come and pick it up or meet you.

No probs if not I'm just being really impatient.
Old 03 July 2007, 06:49 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

GUTTED Its not the boost solenoid. Got my hands on one yesterday, put it on last night and still exactly the same. No clicking at all, when I first turn on or when I put it in diag mode.

I take it when I put it in diag mode there should be voltage pulsing to the plug on then off continously. Is that correct?

Also does this come via a relay or does it come direct from the ECU and depending which does any one know where abouts on the ecu ie what colour wires or where the relay is if its a relay.

Thanks