Notices

A Few Questions From A New WRX Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 06:21 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, I got my WRX about 2 months ago. 2002 US-Spec, Platinum Silver Metallic.

Question is: What can I do for exhaust that will: A) Not be too expensive, B) Not make my car intrusively loud, C) Give a good performance boost, and D) Give me a "sleeper" look?

I've thought about the possibility of eliminating the down pipe cat and third cat, leaving the stock muffler, but would that still cause too much restriction to allow much of a power gain? I'm not looking for a race-vehicle really, just enough to keep me happy on the streets and occasionally at the strip.

Much thanks!
Old 28 December 2001, 07:17 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Amongst other site, check out www.mrtrally.com.au. They have very good info on exhaust (and others) for the WRX. In my opinion, downpipe mods don't really increase the power by much. Much more noticeable however, is the way the turbo responds! It spools up much faster and you hit peak boost sooner.

The std backbox is restrictive. You can swap it for a straight thru while keeping the center section without too much noise penalty. You should find that top end (above 5500rpm) power is improved as the turbo is not strangled at high flow rates.

No WRX is a street sleeper! Sorry about that. Maybe get an Audi RS4?
Old 28 December 2001, 07:22 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

I do guess you are correct in saying that no WRX is a sleeper

I do wonder...How about that Scooby Sports muffler? Any experience there? Thanks for the link, mate!

-Dave-
Old 28 December 2001, 07:29 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport is held in quite high regard in rex circles, so I'm sure you can't go wrong on power. I like the discreet tip as well. Noise and "booming" and other side-effects are quite personal, so you would have to try and see for yourself I guess.

Personally, I have never heard one as I'm not in the UK. Where I am, most like the Japanese (or Australian on occasion) solutions so most Rex's have those variations installed.
Old 28 December 2001, 07:33 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

For some reason I tend to trust UK companies when it comes to after-market rally components
Old 28 December 2001, 07:37 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Yeah, don't think you can go wrong with the SS system. Guess you have couple of options:
1. Buy without hearing it.
2. Wait and look around your area till someone else installes it first! (unlikely)
3. Take a short hop across the pond and visit Mr Pete Croney yourself! I'd do this!
Old 28 December 2001, 07:44 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

I have heard the SS system, but only via sound files on the net. They say it's only 89dB, which sounds reasonable to me, and it just flat out sounds aggressive.
Old 28 December 2001, 09:15 AM
chuck
Scooby Newbie

Have a look at http://www.cobbtuning.com the APS exhaust is less than 90db. I think they have a few distributors in the states so you may find somewhere local where you can hear one. Its a full system and you get a high flow cat so emissions should also be legal. The engine kits are also tempting...

Charles
Old 28 December 2001, 10:10 PM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

I never once realized how difficult it was going to be to choose an exhaust, hahaha. I am still eye-balling the SS System most closely. How dramatic do you believe it would be for performance If I chose to leave the down-pipe cat on? I'm thinking maybe just get the silencer and 3rd cat eliminator. yay or nay?
Old 29 December 2001, 09:00 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Stinger
We have two WRX's. My wife Carolyn's car has a full ScoobySport system from the turbo back.
Mine has this plus the third cat in the turbo up pipe is removed.

There is a noticeable difference between the cars. The WRX is notably tight, and thus slower, until it has at least 5-8000 miles on it.

We both had the turbo back systems fitted from nearly new, and I addes the turbo up pipe when it was available in about October. Before the up pipe was done, Carolyn's car was quicker than mine. After, mine was quicker, and that was with 6000 miles on hers and only 3000 on mine.

The two most restrictive cats/exhaust sections on the WRX are the turbo up pipe and the downpipe.

If you only change the centre rear and backbox you will not get the best from this setup. Sure, you can add them later, but it is probably more effective to do them all in one go.

The new WRX is not as noisy as the earlier cars (we owned two MY00 cars previously) as the sound deadening is much better on the new car. If you are worried about noise, which I don't find intrusive on the WRX (but I am the first to admit I like noisy exhausts ), the volume control is your right foot
Old 29 December 2001, 10:24 PM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

So perhaps if I decide to not go full-on and get the whole system right now (it's mainly due to budget limitations), I should get the cat-back and the down pipe probably? I think I can see where you are coming from. I haven't much experience w/Scoobies, I just know I've loved them since I test drove a 2.5RS when I was 15 =D
Old 30 December 2001, 09:16 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ok, if you HAVE to do it in bits rather than in one go, I would recommend:

1) Backbox (quickest to do, and improves the sound!).
2) Downpipe (best overall engine response).
3) Turbo up-pipe (engine response again).
4) Centre cat bypass.

Most people would recommend the d/p first, but if you do this you will still have the stock rear muffler and it will sound yuk! If you can do the d/p AND rear muffler together for starters, that will be best.
Old 30 December 2001, 09:44 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

I'm planning for d/p and silencer at the same time, depending on what I can afford. I've not put much thought to the u/p...Never really struck me as being too vital. I think I may leave the other cat, just as an environmental deal I suppose. I plan to do autocross, so high horse power isn't exactly my goal. After exhaust and perhaps an intake, I'm going straight to the suspension and breaks. Thanks much!
Old 30 December 2001, 09:57 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The up pipe is only about 300mm long, with a small cat in it - when you take it off and attempt to see daylight through it, it's almost a solid restriction!!!

Doesn't look much, but a MUST to change at some point or another.
Old 30 December 2001, 10:03 AM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

Wow, really? That's pure insanity. I suppose I must get to changing that eventually. But as I said, I'm not really going for raw power, I'm going to focus mainly on handling past the exhaust and probably not even an intake, but just a drop-in panel filter.
Old 30 December 2001, 03:34 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Question

Dave how did you get around the engine light coming on? I thought if you changed all the pipes there were issues with the lamda sensors?

(Sorry for the hijack)

Mark
Old 30 December 2001, 05:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Stinger
Fair enough, but it does help the driveability of the car if the decat up pipe is fitted.

Mark
It does, and I ignore it - you don't even notice it after a while (three months!!). In fact, when it was serviced a couple of weeks ago it was reset, and I was looking at the dash afterwards wondering what was missing LOL

Pete has the fix in stock now, will get it fitted over the next couple of weeks.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/30/2001 5:18:01 PM]
Old 30 December 2001, 08:25 PM
StingerSK
Scooby Regular

I'm just hoping my state never decides to start inspecting cars for emissions with all this cat eliminating hardware I'm going to be installing

Thanks Dave!
-Dave-
Old 03 January 2002, 03:57 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I am curious to what the fix is, whe you get it done could you let me know and of course what you think.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 04 January 2002, 08:27 PM
EwanS
Scooby Regular

StingerSK,
I must agree with Dave T-s in a round about manner. I have the full ScoobySport system on my MY01 (c/w downpipe) but fitted over two days from the Back box forward (if that makes any sense!) Back box - small improvement
3rd section - even less!
2nd section - Oooooh a little better
Downpipe - what was I missing !!!
IMHO I have never spent that money on a pipe before, but when I buy another scoob, it will be my first purchase!!!!
EwanS
Ps knock all other exhausts into the weeds - and what with the WRX's improved deafening the cabin intrusion is minimal.
EwanS
Old 04 January 2002, 08:43 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark
It's a little black box that plugs in and overrides the ECU trying to tell you there is a cat fault (there is no problem with any of my three exhaust cats, apart from the fact they are living in the garage roof )