Notices

Full decat advice- 2004 Sti

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 08:05 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full decat advice- 2004 Sti

I'd like some reassurance and advice if possible!!! I've got a 2004 Sti ver8 Jap import (nb. twin scroll turbo). Ive recently had a full decat exhaust system fitted and Walbro 255 fuel pump. I've got a re-map booked at BRdevelopments next month but am concerned about driving the car before the re-map is carried out!!??

I have been driving the car conservatively- no more than 0.5 boost but have to admit that on a couple of occasions have put my foot down and gone further (this was before I was given advice!!)- this has not been for any sustained period of time!!

The boost is not functioning properly at the moment (as expected) due to the decat and my main concern is that I might get a melted piston or bore wash from driving the car in this state (i.e. overboosting and running lean). The car seems to be idling fine. I'm not losing any oil and there's no smoke from the exhaust. Does the car's ecu protect itself against these problems??

If anything, I'd say the car is running a little rich since decat. I guess what I'm after is reassure that I haven't done any permanent damage from driving the car hard on a few occasions since decat- not sustained high speed but short, sharp acceleration.

Don't think I'll be using the car until re-map now!!! Was thinking of doing a compression check on all four cylinders to be on safe side?? Any advice??

Thanks Durry
Old 17 June 2007, 09:26 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

There are people on here who have decatted and never remapped and have had no problems at all.

I've got the same car with similar mods - bob advised me to stay below 0.5 bar boost inbetween fitting the new bits and mapping. I got around the problem by fitting all the bits as close to d-day as possible. I doubt you have damaged yours, (sounds more like paranoia) though i would stay off boost for now to be safe.

Last edited by pippyrips; 17 June 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 17 June 2007, 09:39 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that!! Your right, think a bit of paranoia has set in!! Spent a lot on the car lately and want it to be right for the re-map!!! Seeing as you have the same car and set-up, what can i expect after re-map performance wise?? (bhp??)
Old 17 June 2007, 09:45 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by durry300
Thanks for that!! Your right, think a bit of paranoia has set in!! Spent a lot on the car lately and want it to be right for the re-map!!! Seeing as you have the same car and set-up, what can i expect after re-map performance wise?? (bhp??)
will vary from car to car . I did a few other subtle mods at the same
time and drove away with 368/368. Whatever you end up with torque and bhp should be very similar.

Last edited by pippyrips; 17 June 2007 at 09:48 PM.