Notices

Noisy engine/turbo

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2007, 08:33 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy engine/turbo

Guys not sure what the hell is up but the car runs perfectly, the only problem is the engine sounds a bit harsh/noisy on boost, if you lift off the accelerator at 5k revs it sound normal, nice and smooth etc but on boost it gets noisy over 5k revs, when sat in neutral and you rev it it's all normal, only happens when under load on boost, could it be the turbo on the way out?
The heatshield is rattling like a bugger on the uppipe as well!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 16 June 2007, 02:43 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james-wrx
Guys not sure what the hell is up but the car runs perfectly, the only problem is the engine sounds a bit harsh/noisy on boost, if you lift off the accelerator at 5k revs it sound normal, nice and smooth etc but on boost it gets noisy over 5k revs, when sat in neutral and you rev it it's all normal, only happens when under load on boost, could it be the turbo on the way out?
The heatshield is rattling like a bugger on the uppipe as well!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Before i had mine mapped by TSL i thought my turbo had a problem. It rattled alot on boost and sound horrible. Turned out to be a bolt had sheered and was just spinning on the heat shield. They removed it and the noise went away. Could it be the vibration causing a similar problem?
Old 16 June 2007, 06:56 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Telling us what the noise sounds like would help...hissing, whining, squealing tapping, knocking, banging...etc

Thanks guys sounds like a mettalic rattle but not as tinny as a heatshield (i think) almost like a rough top end but im sure it's not or it would be there all the time right ?
Old 17 September 2013, 10:51 AM
JuergenG
Scooby Regular

So since my MY95 WRX developed the same strange noises at about 5.5k rpm, I thought I'd revive this thread in the search of more ideas.

Some related infos about the car:
WRX95 (V2)
Simtek Pro with ALS/LC
Apexi Air Filter
Greddy Profec Boost controller
Fujitsubo catback exhaust
Genuine HKS SSQV blow off
80k km

Just a quick "history":
Right before I was about to fit a Harvey uppipe and get it mapped by Bob, I took a short video to have before/after comparisons on the spool. While driving on boost, I noticed the check engine lamp flickering for the first time ever. I immediately released the pedal and didn't think much about the indicated knocking, since it would be remapped anyways in a few days. I was thinking it might be caused by the new V-Power Shell introduced in Germany. So the next day we tried to fit the uppipe and headers but failed to get the headers loose while the engine was in the car due to missing the right tools (holy crap.. there is really not much space left to work with), so everything went back on without change. Parts that were removed and refitted in the process: "chimney" turbo heatshield, left and right header heatshield covers, lambda sensor and one bolt was loosened on the middle connecting pipe for the left and right header parts. After that, the blinking check engine lamp was still there at 5.5k rpm and the engine was making a very metallic grinding noise (that's the best I can describe it, sorry) but was still running as strong as always. The car hesitates at that rpm point due to the changed timing caused by the knock sensor picking up the noise.
Mapping day arrived and Bob tried to work his magic... He was, like me, very surprised when he heard the noise and even let me use his det cans to hear it for myself (thanks again!). He also said it wasn't knocking at all, so that is out of question for causing the problems. The suggestion was to check the cam belt, tensioner and everything around it. So I handed the car to my Subaru dealer to get everything changed since it would have been time to do it anyways. They found the idler pulleys quite knackered (and besides that killed a rim by hitting something and they knew of nothing... right... and where did over a half tank of fuel go when you weren't driving the car much?) but said the noise was gone. Happy and naiive as always, I went for a testdrive. When the car was at operating temperature, I cautiosly went towards the 5.5k rpm and... right... the noise was still there.
So not being pleased at all, we tried to check all the common faults and rattles as far as time permitted:
Removed the turbo heatshield again, since it was rattling slightly at idle and higher rpm. Thought we found the culprit when the car was running fine at idle (which we didn't test before). The lower part of the heatshield was lose and had wiggled its way towards the downpipe since the previous owner forgot to put the bolt in that was holding it (no idea, how it held all the time before). Put everything back properly and the rattle was gone... but not the grinding noise at 5.5k rpm. Bummers
Didn't have the time to check the header heatshields, but the noise sounds and feels more like it's coming from towards the firewall.

So.. Long story short...
Symptoms:
- Metallic grinding noise at 5.5k rpm when under load
- Boost doesn't seem to make very much of a difference, but more boost increases the noise (it's there at -0.3, 0.5, 1 and 1.3 bar when accelerating)
- Noise is not or at least not very noticable when revving at idle (no Check Engine Lamp)
- Noise and blinking Check Engine Lamp is there, when standing still but using ALS/LC to produce load on the engine/turbo
- Noise is there with hood open or closed
- Downpipe cat section is not making any rattling noise when banged against with my hands

Steps planned:
- Car is with another Subaru dealer for a compression test and spark plug change
- Building own "detcans" to identify further, where the noise might be coming from
- Recheck header heatshields

Additional ideas:
- Turbo on it's way out? Maybe wastegate?

If anyone has any suggestions what could cause this behaviour, please let me know. I'm nearly out of ideas and don't want to spend more silly money on taking out the engine just to find out that it actually was ok all along... Want to do it even less with the experience I made with our Subaru dealers here in Germany...
I really love this car and it breaks my heart seeing her sitting in the garage 90-95% of the year Please help...
Old 22 September 2013, 12:33 PM
JuergenG
Scooby Regular

Bump...
Anyone any ideas?
Old 21 February 2014, 10:49 AM
JuergenG
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd give this one another bump...