fmic pipework

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2007, 09:19 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic pipework

Long post time again

Have fitted a monster fmic recently and I am having pipework issues. Car is a 92wrx

The first issue is the pipe that runs from the turbo to the inner wing fouls slightly on the throttle body and also 2 brake lines and also the actuator. I have read Kips thread and he has cut down this pipe slightly at the turbo end so I did this last night this is to give a bit more clearance around the TB. I have also flattened the pipe where it was resting against the brake lines and this now seems better (still needs more flattening though) and I also flattened it a bit where it was hitting the actuator (again needs more flattening)

Now this pipe from the turbo us a U shaped pipe, has anyone used a samco pipe instead to give better clearance? or will it be too hot for samco hose?

The second issue is the pipe to the throttle body which runs alongside the engine nr the oil filler and between the battery.

To get this to fit I had to cut it which it seems is quite a common thing to do, and then bridge it with samco.
However I made a bodge of it and had to do another cut and then use a samco metal joiner. This however isnt ideal and I have a boost leak in this area which I cannot seem to get rid off.
Has anyone just used samco in this area instead of the metal pipework and if so have you suffered any adverse effects etc?

cheers for any replies
Old 14 June 2007, 03:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 14 June 2007, 04:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why can you not get the connection you have cut / modified to seal?

does it keep popping off? get a bead welded into the end or a hump etc..

Simon
Old 14 June 2007, 05:20 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

This all sounds very typical of the FMIC kits you can get for the early classics, its just a case of doing what you are doing and cutting the metal pipe to allow for clearance. I'll be doing mine shortly!

Dave
Old 14 June 2007, 06:07 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely going to be a case of bodge it until it works. But in answer to your question, yes standard Samcos will be fine for any part of the boost plumbing. You can get extra thick 'turbo' spec Samco but in my experience the standard stuff is fine.
Old 14 June 2007, 06:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
why can you not get the connection you have cut / modified to seal?

does it keep popping off? get a bead welded into the end or a hump etc..

Simon
no its not popping off but when coming on boost it is definately leaking from somewhere and I think its where the pipework has been cut or from the turbo pipe.

I have a spare engine so I am thinking I may just get the manifold reversed and sort it that way - lol

may just get some samco hose joiners then and see what I can do (or find a machining shop nearby who can knock something up!)