Notices

New DV wont dump - serious question!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 04:12 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DV wont dump - serious question!!

Afternoon all, ive just fitted a VTA dump valve i bought off ebay and it wont dump?

Fitted it no trouble after removing my old ones ( i had the original recirc. connected to a vta so actually had two dv's connected ) it goes straight onto the top mount intercooler and then i re-used the cable/hose from the recirc and connected the new one up.

Goes out for a run in it, car runs really smooth, no signs of stalling or hesitation but it just doesnt vent off any more.

I took it off and the spring inside it is mega strong, i could barely compress it with both hands - is it likely to be just the spring that needs compressing a bit or could i have fitted it wrong?

Its definately a vta dump valve cause its one of those thats got a trumpet attached!!

Also another really important question - am i ok running this non-dumping vta as it is or will i be damaging the engine in any way? I presume its just acting like a recirc at the moment and recirculating the air into the engine?

Could do with my mind being put at rest regarding the last question - dont want to be ruining the engine.

Thanks

Adam
Old 13 June 2007, 04:38 PM
Rob2101
Scooby Regular

try lubing the spring and see if that helps i had the same problem with mine at first. If not look for a softer spring to fit it.

hope this helps

Rob.
Old 13 June 2007, 04:43 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hia mate, ill try lubing up the spring and see if that helps any - im presuming just some normal grease would suffice?

I thought about getting a new spring but the dv looks like a generic one i.e it has no brand name so im not sure i would find a ready-made replacement - i suppose a hardware store might sell springs?

Thanks for the help mate, appreciate it.

Adam
Old 14 June 2007, 08:29 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Will I be ok running the car like it is for a day or two - or should i keep off boost until its fixed?

Adam
Old 14 June 2007, 02:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

You should be okay, all that will happen is that your turbo will stall (probably get a nice noise as well), to be sure you can always drive it off boost.
I had a similar problem with mine a turbosmart megasonic jobbie. turns out you need to lube the piston, i did this and mine now dumps perfectly
Old 14 June 2007, 02:39 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

It wont be acting as a recirc at the moment unless its one of those dual function dump valves that can be set to vent or recirc - and from the description it doesn't sound like it is.

At the moment it's just doing nothing at all, on gear change when you would expect the dump valve to open and release back pressure on the turbo it just isn't doing that. The result will be the air will have nowhere to go - hence to smart chirpy noise as the air stops moving and the turbo blades 'cut' it

It wont do any harm running like that in the short term, and depending what turbo you have some ppl run without a dump valve permanently..

How effective the dump valve is depends on the spring, too weak and it will crack before you want it to, too strong and it just wont dump, as you found out - so it's not really as simple as just sticking any lighter spring in it to get it working correctly for your setup.

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...ml#post4056125
Old 14 June 2007, 03:01 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK fellas, thanks for the help and comments.

I think the next step is to grease the spring / piston and take it from there.

Cause its a DV with one of those trumpet attachments you can see the piston trying to work but at the moment its movements are rather jerky - so a good lubeing could do the trick.

Thanks

Adam
Old 14 June 2007, 03:47 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
so a good lubeing could do the trick.
It usually does
Old 14 June 2007, 05:01 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Ok sorry to hijack the thread but the same is happening with my turbosmart vee port.

Fitted mine yesterday afternoon everything was working fine, boosting fine, idling (sp) fine and making the pshhh noise.

However last night the BOV decided not to work at all, piston was not moving and therefore no noise was created.

I took the vee port off and opened it up and checked everyone was ok. Everything seemed normal, spring and piston was lubed enough.

Put it back together but still nothing. Decided to put old BOV back on and now I am suffering from extreme lag. No boost till like 5500 revs. Very sluggish, however idle is fine, its not stuttering just has alot of lag.

Anyone have a clue what this might be ??

Thanks
Chris
Old 14 June 2007, 07:02 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Ive just tried putting some grease on both the spring and the piston and its not made any difference - if anything the grease has slightly hindered the movement as though its causing resistance.

The only thing left to do now would be to change the spring i think, if i can ever find anywhere that sells springs?

I thought about shortening the spring but was unsure if that would just cause more problems.

Adam
Old 14 June 2007, 07:09 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Yeah I have greased both the spring and piston and has not helped me either.

The lag on my car increased badly also so I swapped back to orginal bov but its still the same. Not the turbo is rattling now . Everything is happening at once. ARGHHHH
Old 14 June 2007, 07:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to be honest I wouldnt have used grease. I used wd40 on mine, however its good to use something like 3 in 1 oil
Old 14 June 2007, 07:21 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
to be honest I wouldnt have used grease. I used wd40 on mine, however its good to use something like 3 in 1 oil
Well I should have said lubed.

I infact did use 3 in 1 oil but nope nothing has changed
Old 14 June 2007, 07:51 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris.mcd
Yeah I have greased both the spring and piston and has not helped me either.

The lag on my car increased badly also so I swapped back to orginal bov but its still the same. Not the turbo is rattling now . Everything is happening at once. ARGHHHH
Hi, Have you double checked your original valve is re-fitted the right way round, I believe it should have an arrow marked on it giving you the direction of air flow.
E-bay ones seem crp to me, as already said the spring is wrong. Contact the seller and tell them.
Old 14 June 2007, 07:57 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Not sure I know what you mean by right way around ? My orginal valve seems to only fit to the intercooler one way . Upside down trianglar shape ?

Or you meaning something different and I am being daft lol?
Old 14 June 2007, 08:14 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

He was assuming you had an earlier classic rather that a model with the DV on the intercooler.

Have you got a boost gauge to check if you have any boost leaks, it doesnt take a big leak to make a noticable difference driving.
Old 14 June 2007, 08:18 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Sorry m8, getting you and thread starter mixed up when i mentioned e-gay crp!! Anyway,Use the search funtion for "turbo lag" etc. If that's no use to you re-post in this section with your "probs" and i'm sure someone will be along to help.
Old 14 June 2007, 08:19 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
He was assuming you had an earlier classic rather that a model with the DV on the intercooler.

Have you got a boost gauge to check if you have any boost leaks, it doesnt take a big leak to make a noticable difference driving.
Same here f/spider
Old 14 June 2007, 09:03 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Dont have my boost gauge fitted yet. Its in mybedroom at the moment which is not much help.

Where about should I check for boost leaks ? Hoses around BOV ?

I have put my own post up in gernal technical section but no one seems to be bothering to reply to it

Last edited by chris.mcd; 14 June 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a point in
Old 14 June 2007, 09:12 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Be worth putting the boost gauge on even if you dont install it properly for now just to check the boost. Have a search for how to fit it. If it's a newage then just get a short section of 6mm petrol pipe and T it into DV vacuum hose (dont cut vacuum hose then you can easily take boost gauge off again). If it's classic then I think there is a nipple to attach it to.
Old 14 June 2007, 09:21 PM
chris.mcd
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks funkyspider, will do that tomorrow.

Could you please look at my thread in the general secion also.
Old 16 June 2007, 04:37 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK fellas, just a bit of an update really.

After removing the dv again and studying how it actually attaches to the intercooler ive found that the shape of the new base bracket is different to the original recirculating one.

So id actually got a gap at the bottom of the dv when it was attached to the intercooler. Ive since fitted it the opposite way and now have no gap but part of the hole in the dv is covered.

Connected it all up and it dumps fine - but only at about >6000rpm's!!!!

Decided to whip it off and fit the old one - stripped my old one down and gave it a good clean out and it runs fine again. You definately get a slight drop in throttle response thought with a vta ive since noticed.

Im going to try to get a refund off the bloke i bought it off on ebay. That'll teach me for trying to get a bargain, suppose if i do eventually get another one ill get something like a forge which is a recognised brand as opposed to a generic one.

Thanks for all the advice in trying to sort this out.

Adam