Newby Scooby questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 12:16 AM
Pram
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newby Scooby questions

Folks,

Been looking at one of these for a long time, think it's finally time to take the plunge. Couple of questions I'm hoping ye can help me with, maybe avoid a few pitfalls :

1. Seen some models for sale as "WRX SL" instead of "WRX Turbo". More as "WRX Turbo SL". Bit confusing. Are these all the same car ? If any scooby is a WRX is it the 2 litre turbo with minimum 225 bhp ? I really need to check whether or not I can insure this thing before I buy it !

2. From an insurance point of view, what does the PPP add ? 10-15 BHP ? ...(or are there different types ?!)

3. Friend of mine was sold a stolen car (not Scooby) which had been given the licence plate of a car that matched exactly. Got taken by the police and now he's down 20k ! Where does one find the chassis number on a WRX ? Can this then be checked with an agency who will tell the exact number plate the car should have, accidents, stolen or not etc. ?

4. A question that may be a little broad - The model I'm looking at is 3 years old (the model after the bug-eye, not sure of its' official name). One of the things I've heard about the WRX is that an eye needs to be kept on the timing belt. When should this be changed ? Are there any other tell-tale signs that somebody should look out for when looking at a 3-5 year old WRX ? After all, they're not being bought by people to do the shopping run !

5. Anything of note ? Are they expensive to service ?...clearly not that cheap to run ! Price of parts ? General advice ? They are a beautiful car that I'd dearly like to buy but there's no point if it's going to be sitting in the driveway because I can't afford to run it !

Thanks for any help or insight, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Pram
Old 13 June 2007, 08:42 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

No expert but...
1/ never heard of an SL, STi obviously.....
2/ PPP takes it from 225 to 265, specs on Subaru.co.uk under accesories, you can still buy the PPP.
3/ UK cars have visible VIN on passenger side in the windscreen, make sure its real and doesn't slide, should match the VIN plate in the engine bay and the chassis number (on floor by drivers seat on most cars, not sure about these specifically)
4/ Newage cars are known in order as bug eye, blob eye and hawk eye.
5/ Timing belts are OK, 60K interval, although they should be visually checked more often, older cars (to 03 I think, same belt, same layout) were 45K interval.

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 09:08 AM
The Mad Hatter
Scooby Regular

The SL has leather.