Notices

noise from gear box ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 06:42 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from gear box ?

ive got a sort of wine in every gear and the faster you go the more noise it makes could this be the front diff, ive jacked the car up and put hand brake on and it seem to be when the front wheels are turning, will this go bang or has ant body else got this trouble? all oils are as clean as new just cant make it out, ive heard some people say could be the clutch? why would the clutch make this noise, it dont change if you press the clutch down or free wheel its still makes that noise, i was told buy the guy i brought the car off that it had been like it nealy a year but im not sure about this, any body got any ideas
Old 09 June 2007, 03:27 PM
OakleighParkScoobie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every scooby i have been in has made a slight whine from the gearbox but i know the frustration. Sometimes people will say it could be the clutch release bearing, but more likely a bearing in the box, unfortunately i think there are about 9 bearings in a box. I have 2001 WRX which was making is making a whine and slight clunk sometimes, was under the car today and found some side to side play in the front drive shafts, my friend who works for subaru told me this is more than likely the dif on its way out. I know this is not really a diffinitive answer but maybe you could check yourself for the same thing. It is only side to side play as the drive shafts will naturally have some up and down play. If these are tight then it sounds, from what my friend at subaru has said about mine, that you may have worn or a worn gearbox bearing. In which case just keep using it until it gets too noisy for your liking, it is unlikely it will just go bang.

As i said sorry its not a diffinitive answer but thought i'd share what little knowledge i have gained from a similar problem.