Notices

Afterburner Centre Section - Fitment problem?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2007, 07:21 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Afterburner Centre Section - Fitment problem?

Has anyone ever come across any problems when fitting the Afterburner Centre Section to a newage WRX, specifically the MY05 spec? I got the Cat back package from the folks at Scoobyworld but cannot get this section to fit.

First let me say however, both the folks at Scoobyworld and H&S have been great throughout the last week or so in trying to rectify the issue (Thanks Mike & Ian )

My Car is fitted with PPP so it has the Prodrive de-cat section after the down pipe and of course a Prodrive back box, the Afterburner Vortex back box fits the original centre section fine but I cannot get the Afterburner Centre Section to line up with the front de-cat section when fitted to either this or the Prodrive back box. There is what looks like a part number on the original centre section - PMFE5 - is this the "normal" one for this model of car?

TIA...D-an-W

Last edited by D-an-W; 30 May 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Nice post count eh!
Old 30 May 2007, 07:30 PM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Don't know if its the same thing but I had a similar problem when fitting my afterburner vortex back box and afterburner centre section to the original cat pipe (Blobeye STi).

With the backbox seated nicely on its supports and the centre section bolted to it, the flanges between the centre section and cat pipe where missaligned by more than you would imagine was right. Managed to twist it to fit with some spring loaded bolts but didn't look right and was worried the backbox would spring out of the rubbery support thingys!

I've since replaced the original cat pipe for an afterburner one and the whole thing has staightened up. Weird.

Not much help I know but........
Old 30 May 2007, 07:39 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the fast reply.

Does this look familiar then?

Centre section mounted at front...

Centre section mounted at rear...
Old 30 May 2007, 07:51 PM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Yep, exactly the same, I thought at the time that maybe my front section had warped slightly due to heat, maybe not likely but the only reason I could come up with without blaming it on incorrectly welded flanges on either the centre section or back box!

As I said, its strange that it straightened itself out when I fitted the afterburner cat pipe maybe a month or so later.

Maybe the afterburner sections are only designed to be fitted all together rather than piece meal.
Old 30 May 2007, 07:56 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

This is the second Centre section I have tried, when SW collected the first one I also returned the Afterburner de-cat as I wrongly assumed there was a cat behind those heat shields so I have not tried this second one with anything other than the Prodrive de-cat...hmmm
Old 01 June 2007, 05:44 AM
stevolang
Scooby Regular

Did you have any joy with the fitting of the centre pipe? Bit worried now as i am going to attemp to fit the afterburner centre pipe to my 2005 sti ppp over the weekend only i am keeping the prodrive back box! Is it worth me trying?
Old 01 June 2007, 11:04 AM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

Cool

i have an 03 sti,ppp.
i got the vortex centre section from sw.when i took it to have it fitted the flange with the springs would'nt fit right,spoke to sw,they sent another one,the fit was even worse so i put the 1st one back on!!!

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2007, 04:45 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Quick question as I am looking at mods to do, what is the reason for doing this? Is it just for the sake of a wonderful sound, or are there performance gains to be had?? Sorry if that sounds stupid Am wanting to gain a few extra ponies but dont want to annoy my neighbours...
Old 01 June 2007, 06:03 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

I had similar problems with the ScoobyWorld pipe. Although Scoobyworld were very good at sorting out the issue once they had seen the photographic evidence. 1st class support, shame it's not a 1st class product (I think they may of had some quality control issues).

Afterburner Centre Alignment :

H&S Centre Alignment :

Last edited by Scott.T@PolarPerformance; 01 June 2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01 June 2007, 06:22 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevolang
Did you have any joy with the fitting of the centre pipe? Bit worried now as i am going to attemp to fit the afterburner centre pipe to my 2005 sti ppp over the weekend only i am keeping the prodrive back box! Is it worth me trying?
Mine has all been refunded m8y, I am now considering the Blitz NUR Spec R instead

@Scott.T, my first pipe was worse than that, the second was spot on other than the flange was "Twisted" as in the pictures.
I cannot praise ScoobyWorld enough for the effort they put into trying to resolve this, distance (Between me and them) was the only problem neither of us could help and for me a refund was the best solution.

@Dubster, Other than the wonderful sound I am trying to do as much as I can to the car before it gets remapped.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:45 AM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

Cool

im giving sw a call to flag mine up again just in case i have any issues with emmissions come mot time!!!
Old 06 June 2007, 06:11 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

These two sections will have no effect on emissions at all.
Old 07 June 2007, 11:36 AM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

Cool

i spoke to a fitter,he said if an exhaust is blowing there's a chance that it may fail a emmission test!!!the sensor which go's into to bb somtimes can't get a correct reading!!