Notices

A quick question re oil filters folks :

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2007, 09:47 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick question re oil filters folks :

I've managed to book my Scoob in with my wee local garage for an MOT and oil change at short notice for tomorrow.

However, I won't have a chance to get to my local Subaru dealer on the other side of town, so will have to use an aftermarket oil filter from the local factors.

Should I be worrieed, or is an oil filter an oil filter ? Also, do you know any brand names to go for ?
Old 30 May 2007, 10:52 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

as long as the filter is listed for your car personally I wouldnt worry. I generally use motor factor filters for mine and dont have any issues. You will probably get more respones in a bit though telling you to tell the garage the correct oil change procedure for a "subaru"
Old 30 May 2007, 11:09 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Just be specific that it must be a filter made to OE standards (Original equipment). But some do vary in design.

Many manufacturers of aftermarket parts will be of OE quality and provide a limited guarantee based on that (i.e if the part is found to be directly responsible to causing a failure), however cheaper brands do not.

I must stress that if your car is still under a Subaru Manufacturer's warrantee, genuine parts MUST be used (otherwise known as covering your **** ), as non-genuine parts is a manufacturer's favourite get-out clause, unless you want to go though the whole legal system to prove a non-OE part was not the cause of a failure, which potentially could be very time consuming.

Personally out of all the aftermarket brands, I opt for either Unipart or Crossland as they generally have better quality control on their products.

The Crossland filter IMO appears to be the original larger size filter like the orginal Subaru ones were before Subaru switched manufacturers who used smaller canisters (for whatever reason; probably cost). Same colour, and made in Japan too.
Old 30 May 2007, 12:25 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Just be specific that it must be a filter made to OE standards (Original equipment). But some do vary in design.

Many manufacturers of aftermarket parts will be of OE quality and provide a limited guarantee based on that (i.e if the part is found to be directly responsible to causing a failure), however cheaper brands do not.

I must stress that if your car is still under a Subaru Manufacturer's warrantee, genuine parts MUST be used (otherwise known as covering your **** ), as non-genuine parts is a manufacturer's favourite get-out clause, unless you want to go though the whole legal system to prove a non-OE part was not the cause of a failure, which potentially could be very time consuming.

Personally out of all the aftermarket brands, I opt for either Unipart or Crossland as they generally have better quality control on their products.

The Crossland filter IMO appears to be the original larger size filter like the orginal Subaru ones were before Subaru switched manufacturers who used smaller canisters (for whatever reason; probably cost). Same colour, and made in Japan too.
Cheers Sharkie & Jay, that very helpful. AtJ
Old 30 May 2007, 12:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Good point Sharkman about the larger filter
Old 30 May 2007, 04:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Purolator filter for the Subaru, as sold by Opie Oils (Oilman) is also the original, larger size and as a matter of interest, has not got the rubber one way valve below the inlet holes, that retains oil in the filter. As the filter is mounted vertically downwards, it doesn't need it!
JohnD