Notices

How to disconnect the Airbag!

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2007, 07:06 PM
gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disconnect the Airbag!

I have a 1999 Classic (UK) and have twin airbags. Due to extended family I could do with disconnecting the passenger airbag.
I have located the yellow wire and plug that goes to the passenger airbag, but have been told that if i disconnect it, the engine would recognise a fault and would restrict driving speed to a maximum of 10mph (not ideal really LOL). Is this true? Has anyone done this before - I'm sure I'm not the only scooby owner with kids!!!!
Old 29 May 2007, 07:54 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Never heard of that before, as what happen's if your driving down the motorway and the airbag light coming on due to an open circuit on an airbag , the car slows to 10 mph in the fast lane and an arctic lorry hits you in the rear !! .
Work for a peugeot dealer and unless the car is fitted with an override switch we are not allowed to disable the n/s airbag . Also to be able to do this and keep the airbag lamp off a special tool/ dummy airbag would need to be fitted into the airbag connection so the airbag thinks it's still there .Also be very careful when messing with any of the airbag wiring as the airbags have capasitors that need to discharge before doing any work i.e battery should be disconnected for about 10 minutes at least before doing any work !
Old 29 May 2007, 08:07 PM
megrac
Scooby Regular

You can use a two ohm resistor as a dummy airbag so the srs ecu still thinks the bag is connected, this will keep the rest of the airbag system working.
Old 29 May 2007, 08:32 PM
gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Good point about the 10mph!
Not really too bothered about the airbag light staying on - just obviously need to make sure its done right as woudn't want the kids in the front if there was the slightest chance of me doing it wrong!
Also, i was a little worried about it discharging as i disconnected it!!!!
Not sure where else to find out about it!!!

NEED MORE INPUT!!
Old 29 May 2007, 10:00 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't do it!!!

If it is disconnected the airbag light would stay on and if you had an accident the drivers airbag wouldn't fire leaving you with a mouthful of steering wheel

Plus it wouldn't past an MOT and it will cost you to get it reset by Subaru
Old 30 May 2007, 07:48 AM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

check the resistance of the air bag and like said earlier put a resistor in to fool srs ecu rest of the system will work fine but like also said leave it for a while with fuses out to disipate any charge etc ps they only go off once
Old 30 May 2007, 04:42 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

A few pointers here...

Speed of vehicles are NOT be restricted to 10mph. The warning light will come on though, indicating a fault unless suitable resistor is placed instead of the airbag, thus completing the circuit.

The Driver airbag WILL go off in an accident if the passenger one is disconnected. They operate over separate circuits.

Disconnection should only be done at an autorised dealer, who should have written disclaimers signed by vehicle owner that dealer is not held responsible for the resultant loss/claim etc due to a disconnected airbag.

Driver will have full responsibility for lives of adults if put in said seat with passenger airbag disconnected. (Possibly notify insurance for that one).

The safest seat for a child statistically is in the back, but if you have to put them in the front, ensure the seat is as far back as possible. Remember airbags are designed to work together with seatbelts, so providing belts are worn in the correct manner, your child should be fine with an airbag in the front.

You don't mention the child's age, this will have some bearing on placement within the vehicle. Disconnection for front airbag should be manditory if you are using a rearward facing child seat, as they practically touch the instrument panel. If you're talking about a larger child, then probably pushing the front seat to its rearmost position will be suitable enough.

The issues with airbags and minimum distance mainly affects driver airbags, where you should be at least 30cm away from the steering wheel... Passenger airbags are not as critical due to greater average distance to the occupant from the instrument panel.

Hope that helps.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2007, 05:12 PM
gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Stuart Page - thanks for your comments, basically the children are 6 weeks (thus rearward facing car seat), 2 and 3. As a rule I have all three in the back and the eldest uses the lap belt - not ideal, but thats the only way. Secondary problem though is I have a step daughter - age 7 (soon to be 8). Now I'm of the belief that she shouldn't really be in the front seat - however, the fact that her weight wouldn't be enough to hold her back in her seat and also her build wouldn't be adequate to fit the seatbelt correctly - even with the aid of a booster seat, also I couldn't push the passenger seat right back as my two year olds legs would be squashed!!!

Ideally I'd want the baby in the front seat, with the others in the back.

I have run it by my insurance company and they are fine with it.

I'm taking the car tomorrow for a new intercooler and turbo to be fitted - so I'll have a chat with them down there.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:21 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Gooner, nice 1. Makes it clear enough! You should really deactivate it. The dealer should help in this case as other manufacturers 'should' do the same if an airbag cut off switch in not on the car. Good luck!