Notices

crankshaft sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2007, 05:59 PM
evalscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking crankshaft sprocket

finally managed to shift my crankshaft sprocket today so that i could cure the leaking oil pump. so much for screw drivers behind the reluctor and slide it off.
3 separate evenings used before success, but at least i can safely say that a cambelt change is now a piece of ****.

1st night: cracked reluctor and abandonned attempt until i got a new sprocket coz i realise its not gonna come quietly. rebuild so i acn drive to work in the morning.

2 nd night: dismantle again, soak in graphite solution and retry prising and pulling. no joy, rebuild again.

3rd night: drill out woodruf key, drill away metal on sprocket either side of keyway then try twisting sprocket with pry bar against bolts inserted in holes in the sprocket. bent the bolts!! chain drilled vertically through sprocket down to keyway then split it with a chisel. he aint so pretty now but that got him.

oil pump came off easily. two backplate screws loose and a weak paper gasket found instead of 3-bond 1215.
now its all back together so i hopefully wont leave a calling card at every parking spot anymore.

moral: dont give up and if it wont budge...break it!
Old 17 May 2007, 06:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably a little late but you can thread the two small holes either side of the crank shaft in the sprocket.. you then place a plate across the with two long bolts.. wind them in and the sprocket slowly winds off.. weeellla..

Simon
Old 17 May 2007, 11:14 PM
evalscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was an option. me and my mate head scratched for 5 mins but since i had drills and no tap set it was a moot point so got medieval on its ***!
i like your thinking tho cheers