Is my actuator dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 06:44 PM
RRE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my actuator dead?

Hi all,

I have problems keeping my boost down. After 4500 RPM it just starts to rise. I have tried to connect the turbo boost side directly to the actuator, but the issue it still there. When connected in that way the boost stay on 0.6 bar untill 4500 RPM and then rises.

Is this a sign of the actuator being defect? If I try blowing in it with a bike pump (only thing I had ;-)) it opens, so it still reacts to the boost.

The specs are pretty standard, with a complete 3" exhaust with racing cat.

Hope somebody can come up with an input. Could it be that I need to port the wastegate? I had to do that on my old Impreza when changing to Blitz Nür Spec R and Gruppe-S headers and uppipe, I would not think that I would need it with just an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks in advance

Rasmus
Old 12 May 2007, 09:03 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

you only had the problems after the exhaust change?
Old 12 May 2007, 09:36 PM
RRE
Scooby Regular

No I had the issue before the exhaust change. The boost cut was there before, but at higher RPMs. I fitted the boost gauge with the exhaust, so I first identified the problem to be boost cut at that time.

How do I check if my actuator works? At current point it holds a steady 0.6 bar untill 4500 RPM and then rises FAST. This is with the actuator connected directly to the pressure side.
Old 13 May 2007, 10:10 AM
RRE
Scooby Regular

Anybody? ;-)
Old 13 May 2007, 10:33 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it you've got the boost signal connected directly to the actuator with nothing in between or teed off, there must be some reason why the actuator is losing control of boost at higher revs. Just a guess, but maybe you've got a leaky actuator? At lower revs you've got less boost pressure against it and so it just does its job, opening the wastegate. At higher revs you've got more boost pressure in there and instead of pushing the wastegate open, SOMETHING inside the actuator is leaking and allowing boost to bleed off, keeping the wastegate shut; boost builds until you let off the accelerator.

At lower boost pressures/revs, the leak doesn't appear.

What happens if you get into the overboost zone then let off and quickly go for full throttle again? Does it immediately go into overboost, or does it momentarily hold at 0.6 bar before overboosting?
Old 13 May 2007, 05:58 PM
RRE
Scooby Regular

Took the actuator of and cleaned it and TADAAAAAA, now I can keep the boost down :-)

I am not seeing 1 bar of boost before 3200 RPM in third. Is that normal on a 95 GT? (TD05)