Chasing some ponies

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 07:01 PM
sti_sambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chasing some ponies

Looking at sorting my '93 wrx and wondering if anyone had any tips;

Currently standard apart from HKS exaust system and uprated panel filter, going to fit;

Sti V8 intercooler (cheers for all the fitment threads on here, massive help)
Ninja sports cat

tempted by a different turbo, can I expect much more power from a VF35? (Currently running td05)

Gonna get a remap, can anyone recommend a good mapper in the W. Yorks area?

Is it worth getting a power fc? I'm not going to go mad on mods for power but really want driveability and hate lag.

Is it worth looking at the fuel system when I'm only aiming for 300ish? or can the standard setup cope with this fine?

Cheers peeps

Last edited by sti_sambo; 10 May 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10 May 2007, 07:35 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

STi 8 Intercooler must of been a squeeze on the Phase 1 Inlet, but if you managed it good on ya !!!

RE : Extra Ponies... if you can get a 3 bar map sensor from a later car, fit an uprated fuel pump and larger injectors i.e 440cc (or stick with the 380cc injectors but fit an adjustable pressure reg). You should be able to map it to around 1.3bar and about 320BHP.
If you stick with the satndard injectors and map sesnor you will be limited to 1.1bar, but this should see around 280BHP-290BHP (maybe more) with a custom map.

The TD05 is a very strong and capable Turbo, so for now I would stick with that. A VF35 is straight entry whereas your TD05 is 90 degree, so there would be other fitting issues if you were to change.

ECU wise the Apexi PFC is very capable but is becoming rare for the Pre96 cars, it also has no Knock control which concerns some peole and it limited to 1.1bar on Pre96 unless an alternative boost control method is added.

I havn't got any issues with the Apexi as I run one myself in an MY00. But a new option is the ESL Live mapping adaptor that fits into your standard ECU. This retains all the safety features of the OEM ECU and can be remapped on-the-fly much like any of the more expensive options. It is a complete ECU solution not just a piggyback device to fool the ECU.

And guess what... more details can be found on my website : PolarPerformance

Last edited by Scott.T@PolarPerformance; 10 May 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11 May 2007, 02:56 PM
sti_sambo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Scott, massive help that.

Anybody know any good Yorkshire mappers?