Notices

Help needed - Strong smell of petrol in STi PPP hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2007, 08:39 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Help needed - Strong smell of petrol in STi PPP hawkeye

PPP'd STi Hawkeye - strong smell of petrol both in the cabin and outside - fresh fuel smell and not burnt fuel ala from the exhaust - VERY strong big time for the 1st qtr of a tank...

I've had a number of big BHP JDM's and familar with large injectors, FPRs and the usual malarky that fuel mods bring.. this is unexpected on such a new car

This car is fresh out the wrapper dealer PPP'd

Already been back with a suspected pump seal issue... sorted.. smell came back.. in a 2nd time and the dealer could not detect a problem..

I'm at the virge of getting legal advice on this as I, family and friends all comment on the smell when the are around the car in are driven in it!!!!

Anyone else with the same kind of issues... no detectable leaks .. car has 2k on her so far...

P1ssed off to say the least..
Old 09 May 2007, 08:45 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still say its the fuel pump seal.Makes sense as the fuel pump would have been changed when the ppp was fitted...... Had this on mine. Had the seal changed at the dealer and still had the smell. Added a smear silocone sealant to the seal myself 2yrs ago and havent had the smell since.

Last edited by Turbotits; 09 May 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 08:55 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
I still say its the fuel pump seal.Makes sense as the fuel pump would have been changed when the ppp was fitted...... Had this on mine. Had the seal changed at the dealer and still had the smell. Added a smear silocone sealant to the seal myself 2yrs ago and havent had the smell since.
Thanks, so is this a DIY task I could have a look at myself? feel totally let down - two technicians and still got the issue...

Thanks for an help
Old 09 May 2007, 09:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

yep, theres two plates under the boot carpet. four screws holding them on. You need the o/s one. (Fuel filler cap side) Remove this and you will see the pipe work and electrics for the pump. Disconnect electrics and pipes all are clip on type. Remove the screws from top of pump(from memory six) you can the remove the pump with the seal.This also has the gauge sender attached so does need some side ways movement when removing the unit. Make sure the seal is dry and dirt free,Add some(no real need to skimp on it as no one sees it) silicone top and bottom and bolt it all back together.

When re-fitting the fuel pipes make sure there pushed right home so that they click on.

Last edited by Turbotits; 09 May 2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 09:09 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

My sti has this problem as well.

Is there any downside other than the smell by not either getting a new seal or using the DIY method above.
Old 09 May 2007, 09:13 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006

Is there any downside other than the smell by not either getting a new seal or using the DIY method above.
Not that i know of. I just know the first quarter of a tank i used to use the car stank inside and out, Not anymore which is great. Takes a max of an hour to cure so well worth the effort
Old 09 May 2007, 09:23 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

yep, theres two plates under the boot carpet. four screws holding them on. You need the o/s one. (Fuel filler cap side) Remove this and you will see the pipe work and electrics for the pump. Disconnect electrics and pipes all are clip on type. Remove the screws from top of pump(from memory six) you can the remove the pump with the seal.This also has the gauge sender attached so does need some side ways movement when removing the unit. Make sure the seal is dry and dirt free,Add some(no real need to skimp on it as no one sees it) silicone top and bottom and bolt it all back together.

When re-fitting the fuel pipes make sure there pushed right home so that they click on.
Half of me is THANKYOU!!! the other half is why the **** did subaru not do this... this is b0ll0x... but thanks!!!!
Old 09 May 2007, 09:23 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006

Aye? PPP or stock pump?
Old 09 May 2007, 09:24 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

cos the workshop manual
doesnt say add some sealant so they wont
Old 09 May 2007, 09:25 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Not that i know of. I just know the first quarter of a tank i used to use the car stank inside and out, Not anymore which is great. Takes a max of an hour to cure so well worth the effort
100% exact same issue.... I'm fcking furious now....
Old 09 May 2007, 09:25 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

cos the workshop manual
doesnt say add some sealant so they wont
Mental... fundemental skills any mechanic would do... makes me worry my s0dding warranty worth s0d all